Client nail photo, please advise

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blossom

Reaction score
So a client whose nails I removed just when lockdown looked likely has sent me a pic of her thumb. They were fine when I removed her gel. However she has been wearing dark nail varnish and today removed it to find this. What do we reckon? Could it be a bruise? She says she thinks it is unattached from the nail most of the way down as she can poke a cocktail stick down the back of it [emoji15]

7c64dbe5af08fae7a10618f5d539ef0c.jpg

Bruise? I think most people would remember what they had done to cause this though? X

It looks suspiciously like a greenie to me, not so much a bruise.

Actually on second thoughts, after googling images of bruises and greenies think Noodle is right x

Greenie for sure

It definitely looks like a greenie to me.

Thank you for the replies. That was my first thought. But it wasn’t there when I removed her nails and she’s only been wearing varnish so why would it be there?

Thank you for the replies. That was my first thought. But it wasn’t there when I removed her nails and she’s only been wearing varnish so why would it be there?

Has your client done anything else to her nails do you know, other than applying nail varnish? For example, could she maybe have been tempted to apply express nails or other enhancements herself during the lockdown?

From the photo, her nails, side walls and surrounding skin look sore, cracked and possibly over soaked in neat acetone, perhaps suggesting its more than polish she’s been trying to remove.

Has your client done anything else to her nails do you know, other than applying nail varnish? For example, could she maybe have been tempted to apply express nails or other enhancements herself during the lockdown?

From the photo, her nails, side walls and surrounding skin look sore, cracked and possibly over soaked in neat acetone, perhaps suggesting its more than polish she’s been trying to remove.

Ooh noodle I reckon you might be on to something there. She said just varnish but I was forgetting they tell porkies. That has to be the answer.

It’s going to be a while before an entire thumb grows out isn’t it. It’s beyond me how it’s got that size in a few weeks. Maybe by the time we’re working again it’ll be mostly gone. Thanks all x

When I first saw the photo I instantly though greenie.
I wonder what she did.
I suspect she's tried some form of nail herself..... whether it be a glue on tip or some kind of enhancement..... and it's gone wrong.

Ask her what it smells like.

If it is fungus and looks like this it smells so strangely like a dried out cigarette mud pie and is so vile you’d want a few masks in person. Some clients don’t notice they stink from it so get her to ask a partner/family member too.

No smell probs greenie. Stinky = fungus.

The person I met with similar had caught a fungus while cleaning pig poo in flip flops for 6 months and not been washing her feet. It got under her nails and the black stuff was like ash underneath. All nails detaching.

We discussed smell and there is none, also she says nothing comes out from underneath when she pokes around with a stick (I didn’t recommend this obv lol) and the nail isn’t crumbly but pretty strong. Also from the pic it looks like the greenie is on the middle of the nail, not right at the top, and I think I’d expect fungal infection to be more at the tip of the nail?

So no smell = (mahoosive) greenie I think

Agree it looks like a greenie. Just a thought, if she’s had polish on since lockdown (poss gel) wonder if the increased amount she may have been washing hands, possibly wearing gloves causing hands to sweat and using hand sanitizer has encouraged moisture to get trapped under the polish to cause it?

Thank you rachel73 yes possibly!

Would a fungal infection go green?
There’s no smell and no crumbling
But it has happened really quickly.

Definitely a fungal infection due to onycholysis. (The painless separation of the nail plate from the nail bed). Tell her to just use pure tea tree oil with a dropper to kill any bacteria that is present under the nail.

Onycholysis cause: trauma to the nail.
Sorry but you cannot know that and we are not doctors . Fungal infections on finger nails are very rare and can ONLY be diagnosed by taking a culture and sending away for analysis .Fungal infections are whitish/yellowish not green/brown That looks like a typical Pseudomonas or greenie as we all call it . It will start off pale green and the longer it has been on the nail the darker the stain will get to a very dark brown . Caused normally by moisture getting trapped between the natural nail and the enhancement most often through lifting . We CAN reapply an enhancement over a 'greenie ' as once the new enhancement is applied the bacteria in effect is suffocated and will just grow up as the nail grows .The nail plate needs to be thoroughly cleansed as you would normal do and Files used on a client with a greenie should ONLY be used on the nail in question and for safety thrown away afterwards .If it is a fungus the nails cannot be worked on and GP advice/treatment needs to be given

Latest posts

Back