Client on fire!!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

talented talons

Master Artist
Reaction score
Hi geeks,

Desperately need help as not sure if i did anything wrong. My client had a brand new set of fibreglass enhancements last night. I did everything as i should except the MTW i applied at the end of the application instead of before, ( as she had five kids running around distraction wasn't the word!!!)

Explained this to the client so just did it at the end and applied a top coat. Wasn't sure if this would have caused what happened next.

My client then ran a bath and decided to light some candles, she lit a match and before she managed to light the candle her thumb caught alight!! She said it was only down one side, near the side wall but she couldn't blow it out and had to dunk her thumb in the bath.

Amazingly her skin is fine, just that the enhancement was a bit charred. My client found it funny and said perhaps i should of told her they were multi purpose nails. I myself never new they could catch light so easily, but as it was the side and a thin margin of it, then i knew it couldn't be the whole enhancement or her whole nail would've caught fire.

Please if anyone can help me as don't want to have this happen again for onvious reasons, would it have been the MTW!!

This could happen to any enhancement system. They are plastic!! Plastic can catch fire.

Best to keep your nails out of flames!! :D

I know this can happen with plastic, but my client said that she wasn't too near the flame, it was like it jumped from the match to her finger, when you light a match you don't hold right close to the flame.

Thats why i asked if anyone else has had this problem at all??

Thanks Geeg for your answer as noone else seems to have experianced this.

actually I once did and sat there watching as my tip looked like a candle!! I of course blew it out but don't quite remember how I managed to do this in the first place - go figure!!

I have done this many of times, lol.................
Looked like the old british gas advert lol...........flame on thumb...............
matches are lethal lol....they spark up nicely......the flame does it's own thing, specially when the match alight, is held down towards a candle..............specially one thats in a little pot, like mine was lol.....................Now I use a smart long sticky thingy, a lighter on stilts lol.......
But yes all enhancements are flamable but so are painted nails, they singe nicely too......
I also get loads of repairs needed by girls, who after a party night singed their nails when putting out their cigaretts...............
It's an accident, thats all there is too it.................
I bet she will be more carefull next time lol................
My tip of the week would be............... get a hunky guy to light the candles for you and then get him to scrub your back as an added bonus lol..............
Any hunk will do, but candles must be scented lol.............

I have also done that loads of time being acrylic nails fabric whatever lol I blow it out quick and then buff the black charcoal bit off :eek:

Take care Dawnie x

Thanks so much guys, i was really worried it was something i'd done. Is it something you should say to people like be care ful when lighting candles etc??? I wondered would it put people off?

You have reassured me though so that's a relief. I'll tell my client to use longer matches or just get someone else to do it....great idea Ruth, that's my favourite i think. Sure my client wouldn't object either...lol.

talented talons said:
I know this can happen with plastic, but my client said that she wasn't too near the flame, it was like it jumped from the match to her finger, when you light a match you don't hold right close to the flame.

Thats why i asked if anyone else has had this problem at all??

Thanks Geeg for your answer as noone else seems to have experianced this.

I smoke :o (yep i'm a dumb ass trying quite though) but I have never ever ever in all my times of lighting up every had this done with a match or lighter but I have with a candle and yes the tip went into the flame and hey presto it did catch light (i was a bit tipsey at the time to many G &T ) :lol:

Not something i'd ever really thought about but i can see how it would happen - flippin' scary when it happens though!!!!! Now that i've not smoked a cigarette for over a year, hopefully there'll be less chance of my going up in smoke!!!

I too would have been in pure panick if I'd experienced that. I'm glad I've been alerted to the possibility.

I always ask my clients if they smoke and when they ask why, I tell them the nails are flammable although I haven`t had anyone do that yet thank goodness

You can always say if somethings gonna happen it will happen to me.:o

Any system will do this...Christmas time seems to be the worst for my clients...even though I warn them to be careful, they still come in with a charcoal tip. Usually the index or thumb.

Glad its not only me that this has happened to, at least i know i can tell my clients to just be careful when it comes to candles.:D

Hi, I smoke and have just been camping for two weeks, using proper coal and match type BBQ, never had any probs. I use Star nails GF21 gel, topped with their very useful Quattro Gel.

Loo;)

Set fire to one of mine once, lighting a caravan stove.............one scary experience ill never forget!!!! :o
Needless to say....I always ask the "other half " to light the oven now!!!!!!!
:eek:
:D
(I wonder if I should push it to asking him to cook too!!!????)

I once melted my thumb nail taking the sunday roast out of the oven it touched the shelf and it melted and cured up!

Well trust me, what ever you are wearing, it will light if you put it to a flame!!

:eek:

I once set my natural nail on fire once...
I was at midnight mass with my family and got bored... Somehow I managed to put my nail up to the flame of the candle I was holding without my noticing.... until I started to smell burning! Still, brightened up mass a bit - oops, if you'll excuse the pun!

Latest posts

Back