Client Removing own nails???

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joanne...

Reaction score
Just wonderd what you guys thought about your client's soaking there own nails off at home.
I have been asked about this a lot and some just do it anyway, or even worse just pull them off.
some people dont just have the time or prefer to do it at home the night before.
So i was thinking about doing some stet by step instructions with do's and dont's and selling home kits. what do you all think ??? thanks jox

Just wonderd what you guys thought about your client's soaking there own nails off at home.
I have been asked about this a lot and some just do it anyway, or even worse just pull them off.
some people dont just have the time or prefer to do it at home the night before.
So i was thinking about doing some stet by step instructions with do's and dont's and selling home kits. what do you all think ??? thanks jox

I think it is a really bad and totally unprofessional thing to do.

Soaking off is a professional service that needs to be done by professionals. It is not a DIY thing.

Professionals do not give step by steps to their clients to do DIY at home.

What next? A step by step on how to apply enhancements?

what should i say to them when they ask?

no i do not think we should encourage them to soak off their own nails, i for one (even with training) have always struggled to soak off my own nails without causing problems (due to very thin damaged nails and reaction with acetone)

in fact for the first time ever this morning (thanks to julia from cnd leigh) have just soaked off a set of nails and they are not completley ruined, because i used product remover and not acetone, slightly gentler and it worked,

i have seen so many girls who got fed up waiting to soak them off, theyve pulled or bitten them instead, the damage is immense, they should come in and have them done safely and properly, and then theres things like do they know not to pour acetone down sink, and to dispose of used cotton wool etc and liquid properly, no of course not,

i know some will do it anyway, but thats their perogative, but i do not think we should encourgae them, for their own safety:!: and our own businesses:lol:

If they ask you how to do it then just tell them that it is a professional service that you offer to protect the health of their natural nails and that they need to come to you for this service. End of story.

If they attempt any other way to remove their enhancements then it will cause thinning and damage to their nails.

Removal doesn't take long and is well worth the money it costs. It needn't cost you any time either as a client can be 'soaking' while you are working on another client.

i would say , nails must be removed by myself using professional products, in a safe enviroment, explain to them the product used to remove them is extremly dangerous if not used correctly and can cause untold damage, and must be used by a professional only, tell them that removing their own nails can cause untold damage, (show pics if you have to hun)

hths xx

no i do not think we should encourage them to soak off their own nails, i for one (even with training) have always struggled to soak off my own nails without causing problems (due to very thin damaged nails and reaction with acetone)

in fact for the first time ever this morning (thanks to julia from cnd leigh) have just soaked off a set of nails and they are not completley ruined, because i used product remover and not acetone, slightly gentler and it worked,

i have seen so many girls who got fed up waiting to soak them off, theyve pulled or bitten them instead, the damage is immense, they should come in and have them done safely and properly, and then theres things like do they know not to pour acetone down sink, and to dispose of used cotton wool etc and liquid properly, no of course not,

i know some will do it anyway, but thats their perogative, but i do not think we should encourgae them, for their own safety:!: and our own businesses:lol:

I remember hearing of a client who had been 'told' by her technician how to soak off her nails ... she added, if you heat the remover first it will speed things up ... she did ... IN THE MICROWAVE and nearly burnt her house down as it exploded inside the Microwave Oven.

THIS is only one reason why you don't tell non professionals how to do their own thing at home.

hmmmm.. imo I wouldn't encourage clients to remove thier enhancements, you have trained to do it and can remove them without causing damage, I dread to think what state people's nails would be in if they always did it themselves even if you offer a step by step tutorial.
If they want good healthy nails they should make the time and pay you for providing the removal service.x

Thanks for your replies.
Think i will have a page on my website about why you shouldn't remove them yourself at home.

Thanks for your replies.
Think i will have a page on my website about why you shouldn't remove them yourself at home.

A much better idea and a professional one.

We are the experts and only we are the ones who should be performing this type of service.

One of my clients had a Bio tech doing her nails and when she asked about the removal, the tech told her she didn't do removals, sold her a bottle of gel remover, told her to soak cotton wool in it, place it on her nail and wrap in tin foil. And that was it - just left! No timings or aftercare after the gel was off. I couldn't believe what i'd heard! Apart from the obvious H&S issues and client care, i couldn't understand why they would pass up on the revenue from removals? After all, as much as we all love it, we all do it to make money! Right?

Just going back to the soaking off, it takes me about an hour to get to the point where im ready to apply tips, does that sound like along time to you?

Just going back to the soaking off, it takes me about an hour to get to the point where im ready to apply tips, does that sound like along time to you?

Do you mean your prep and consultation take an hour ?

Yes, it does sound like quite a while...

Do you soak the nails using a bowl of product remover inside a bowl of warm/hottish water with a towel over the top and tucked in to keep the heat in?
You can also use cotton pads soaked in product remover and use tin foil (aluminium) to wrap the ends of the fingers, that also warms it up.
The whole soak off process shouldn't really take any longer than about 20-30 minutes maximum, unless of course you're trying to remove MMA!

hth's a bit

this is such a good point, i bet its the reason why a lot of people say 'dont have your nails done it ruined my natural nails' when in fact THEY did the damage to THEMSELVES by soaking or picking off at home!

This is what i do.
1 clip down tip with old tip cutters.
2 remove some product with efile (otherwise it takes longer)
3 put acetone into small bowl then that into bowl of hot water
4 cover with towel
5 leave for 30 to 45 mins some clients take longer
6 prep

i offer a free removal service for my clients.i've found that it stops clients from attepting removal themselvs (normaly just picking tham off) despite advice not to:grr:.
i've also removed enhancemants free of charge for clients that had been elsewere to have their nails done (mostly those who've not been happy with the service in other salons) and gained them as clients for myself :lol:
cheeky i know, but all fair in love and war

Glad you said that, i don't charge ether but i still get asked.
Think my problem is because it does take a long time to soak off thats maybe why i'm getting asked about soaking off at home.
Need some advice on making it a bit quicker i use young nails products and have no other problems at all its fantastic very strong , no lifting at all just once its on it's realy on.

i'm not familiar with YN products as i've never used them. it might be woth you giving tham a ring to see if they can give you some advice on removal.
good luck

Hi everyone,

It really makes me angry when clients attempt to soak off their own nails especially when you've told them not too!:grr: I do charge for the service of soaking off and explain to clients i am not charging for my time i only charge for the product that i use during the time it takes to soak off! Sometimes i believe they assume it doesn't cost you anything as you're not manually working on them and therefore they shouldn't have to pay. I use pictures to show how their nails can look when i do a soak off and when they do a soak off... it's always worked for me!!!

Latest posts

Back