Client still complaining and wants compensation

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kee

Reaction score
Hey all. Just wanted some advice really how to deal with this. I wrote a thread a few weeks ago about skinning/grazing a clients eyebrows.
We refunded. Explained the possible causes and gave aloe Vera gel. She has now come back asking for compensation. My boss has asked get to come back in tomorrow (when the boss won't b in and I will b) I don't no what else I can say to this lady. She obviously doesn't feel I am competent so I do not feel offering her any treatments will be an option.
What would you do in this situation. I'm the only therapist so I have no one to back me up.
Sorry if u beef any info it haven't read my other post please ask and I will try give u as much as poss.

Just be polite and apologise again up her!! Ask her what kind of compensation she wants, if it's money you will have to contact your insurer x

I wouldn't ask her what comp she wants. I actually wouldn't be speaking to her at all and I'm surprised at your boss for leaving you to deal with this.
Did she leave you in an ambulance with blood pouring down her face?
Did she need skin grafts and have to take time of work?
I'm guessing not. So she had a refund and now she's chancing her luck seeing what else she can get from you.
Personally I would just say that you are sorry she wasted her time coming down because your boss isn't there to see her.
bottom line it's the boss who makes the decisions about refunds, etc. Not you. Don't let your boss put this on your shoulders, boss = buck stops here.
That's why the boss earns more money than you do.

Who's business is it???? If she want compo then if she is serious she would contact a solicitor. Anything else is chancing it. Do not cave in.

It's my bosses salon. She's hardly ever in though and is selling the salon.
I think she is just trying her luck. I just don't want her causin a scene as its embarrassing. The only thing I can do is say she needs to speak to the manager although I can imagine this is going to cause her to be even more annoyed.

If she wants to take it further I would suggest that you tell her to put it in writing (for salon owners attention). Do not indulge her or discuss the matter further. Good luck x

If she wants to take it further I would suggest that you tell her to put it in writing (for salon owners attention). Do not indulge her or discuss the matter further. Good luck x

Totally agree!!

Stand your ground! I completely understand how you feel I was in a similar situation a few years ago! I was also the only beauty therapist working in a hairdressers and my boss refused to talk to the client. I felt completely let down with no support from any other staff! You have refunded the client and explained it to her. If she wants to take it further like said before put it in writing to your boss as there isn't much more you can do xx

when she arrives at the salon I would just once again, and for the last time, apologise (how much longer does she want to draw it out and how many apologies does she want) then when she starts talking to you about compentsation just say to her, Im sorry I am an employed member of staff and only the manager can make those decisions. I would not get drawn into any other converstaion about it, just deny deny deny. It was an unfortunate accident, we all mistakes, we are only human. dont get drawn into it

Can I just ask if you have asked your boss what she expects you to do?
Rather than pass this lady from pillar to post and let her come to your salon knowing that you will just be sending her away why not instead give her a ring in the morning.
But before that I would call your boss and tell her that she at least needs to be present when you are talking to the lady. If your boss doesn't want to come then ask your boss for her insurance details so you can pass them onto the client. (You may find your boss will change her mind then.)
I am a salon owner myself and while I sympathise with your boss for being in a worrying situation as someone else said that is what we do. The buck does indeed stop with us.
You have already apologised if the client wants compensation then that is a job for your salon insurance.

Great idea this is what I will do. Thanks for te advice

Can I just ask if you have asked your boss what she expects you to do?
Rather than pass this lady from pillar to post and let her come to your salon knowing that you will just be sending her away why not instead give her a ring in the morning.
But before that I would call your boss and tell her that she at least needs to be present when you are talking to the lady. If your boss doesn't want to come then ask your boss for her insurance details so you can pass them onto the client. (You may find your boss will change her mind then.)
I am a salon owner myself and while I sympathise with your boss for being in a worrying situation as someone else said that is what we do. The buck does indeed stop with us.
You have already apologised if the client wants compensation then that is a job for your salon insurance.

I was thinking of asking of my boss for the insurance details and will speak to them also and ask if I can give that info out.
I have been doing beauty for 11years and have only experienced this once before at college.
I don't feel we should be giving her any compensation (I no that's not for me to decide). It could be that she is on medication (though she said she wasnt) or that she has an allergy to the wax or been using other products, has sensitive skin etc. I don't feel the wax was to hot as I checked. I pulled the skin taught etc.
If it was something I had done wrong then I would hold my hands up to it but there is know way of telling.
I'm just not experienced dealing with complaints and I do not have the authority to decide what to do.
Thanks for all your advice it has really helped.

Good luck to her. Tell her to take it to court, she will have to fork out £100's in legal fees and I really doubt she would do this over a little bit of grazed skin. The nerve of some people!!

I have just finished my college course and was told that this can sometimes occur if the client perspires a lot. I went to a ladies minx party the other day and there was a lady there moaning how she had had an eyebrow wax and had been left with a scar from a graze. She was moaning and groaning and saying how it must have been the wax being too hot. I said to her it can be from perspiration also. She looked at me and said " oh I had been jogging that morning" she had the wax done an hour after the jog where her skin was probably still hot. I rest my case, she shut up after that! I would contact the insurance company for advice.

I was thinking of asking of my boss for the insurance details and will speak to them also and ask if I can give that info out.
I have been doing beauty for 11years and have only experienced this once before at college.
I don't feel we should be giving her any compensation (I no that's not for me to decide). It could be that she is on medication (though she said she wasnt) or that she has an allergy to the wax or been using other products, has sensitive skin etc. I don't feel the wax was to hot as I checked. I pulled the skin taught etc.
If it was something I had done wrong then I would hold my hands up to it but there is know way of telling.
I'm just not experienced dealing with complaints and I do not have the authority to decide what to do.
Thanks for all your advice it has really helped.
Hi Kee, the only thing I would say is that what ever the reasons behind why she was injured, she still does have the right to compensation, shes just not going about it in a very good way! I would be really upset if I had to walk round with scabby eyebrows for a week, as would anyone, I saw your other post and remember that it was her daughter..how old was she? Did you have a consent form signed if shes under 16?? I think its easy to say "oh shes only after making a quick buck" but we have to remember how we would feel if it happened to us. Paying her compensation is in no way questioning your skills as a threrapist, these things happen, but thats why we pay for insurance.
I do agree with the other geeks, and think that your boss should be handling this, if you were renting the room then different, you could potentially say or do something that affects your insurance so really its down to her to deal with it. Good luck, tinaxxxx

Hi everyone I thought I would keep u updated. My boss came in in the end. The lady came in with her daughter ( who's eyebrows it was) and I was in the room as well. My boss spoke to her about possible causes etc. the women was adamant that it was caused by plucking. She then asked to see my certificates which I said was fine. My boss her how she would like us to resolve this to which she replied £50 or she would go to the papers. My boss said she would give her some gift vouchers instead and she was happy with this.

I am employed I do not rent a room.

I understand as I wouldn't want to walk around with scabs either however we do not no the exact reason for it. For example I have been in Sunbeds in the past and never had a reacts however just recently I have come up in red sores in patches over my body that turn to blisters. I now have marks still from the Sunbeds. I went to the doctors and he said I have photosensitive skin. He said skin changes over time.
I am not tryin to pass the buck and am upset by what has happened.

My boss her how she would like us to resolve this to which she replied £50 or she would go to the papers. My boss said she would give her some gift vouchers instead and she was happy with this.

This has just made my skin crawl.

It sums up just how much of a concerned parent she wasn't. Euugh.

From a business standpoint, it sounds to me as if your salon owner decided it was easier to pay-off this client rather than continue to deal with the actual issue. I think she may have made a mistake. It remains to be seen. It may have put the entire situation to rest; however, this client may have just learned a very valuable lesson.

This client may have learned that when she wants additional vouchers, all she needs to do is lodge a bogus complaint.

Latest posts

Back