Client taking legal action as tan hasn’t developed, advice please!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ellie348

Reaction score
I gave my client 14% cocktail spray tan today used the same set up on the gun as I always do and I’ve never had any issues and she’s saying there’s only spots of tan on her do I explained to her that it could be shower products, hair products the usual but she’s determined it’s not. She wore tight clothing too and I said wear a baggy T-shirt dress. I said I’ll re spray you tomorrow but she doesn’t want to what do you think I should do?
Thank you in advance!x

At what point has she said she's taking legal action?

You need to see photos or better still see for yourself.
She might be just trying to get a refund.
The fact that she doesn't want a re-spray is significant (most clients would say yes to this).
Is she a new client? Did she have a patch test?
At this point I would say you need to document everything that was said and advised by you to the client, record her complaint and the actions you have taken. Keep this evidence just in case you need it later.

My instinct would be that she is trying it on. You have offered a re-spray which she has declined. She needs to provide evidence that the tan has not taken (photos taken by her or you) and show that she followed treatment advice. She hasn't.
She doesn't have a leg to stand on really!
If anything goes further just hand it over to your insurance company and let them deal with her on your behalf.

It's horrible when you get a client like this. Just try to move on from it as soon as you can.

You need to see photos or better still see for yourself.
She might be just trying to get a refund.
The fact that she doesn't want a re-spray is significant (most clients would say yes to this).
Is she a new client? Did she have a patch test?
At this point I would say you need to document everything that was said and advised by you to the client, record her complaint and the actions you have taken. Keep this evidence just in case you need it later.

My instinct would be that she is trying it on. You have offered a re-spray which she has declined. She needs to provide evidence that the tan has not taken (photos taken by her or you) and show that she followed treatment advice. She hasn't.
She doesn't have a leg to stand on really!
If anything goes further just hand it over to your insurance company and let them deal with her on your behalf.

It's horrible when you get a client like this. Just try to move on from it as soon as you can.

Thank you so much for your advice I’ve given her a re fund to get her away, so hopefully that’s the last I’ll here from her she’s blocked now. It’s knocked me a bit x

Sorry to hear about this. It’s not you but them.
She was a selfish chancer and sadly, you fell for it by refunding her rather than standing up to her.
The fact she wouldn’t let you see the tan or re-do it says it all.
There’s no court in the land would be interested in listening to her fake tan lies.

My concern now is that she will tell her pals that you’re a soft touch and others may come and try it on too.
Next time it happens, be assertive, stand your ground and demand to see proof of the problem before offering a re-do, never a refund.
Only ever refund if you know you made a serious mistake.

If they’re still pushy, tell them the offer of a re-do is withdrawn and you’ll see them in court and have faith in your ability and products.

Sadly, there are a few people out there who are pure scam artists and you need to develop your scam detector radar and a much thicker skin when in business. Thankfully, the majority of clients are lovely.

I gave my client 14% cocktail spray tan today used the same set up on the gun as I always do and I’ve never had any issues and she’s saying there’s only spots of tan on her do I explained to her that it could be shower products, hair products the usual but she’s determined it’s not. She wore tight clothing too and I said wear a baggy T-shirt dress. I said I’ll re spray you tomorrow but she doesn’t want to what do you think I should do?
Thank you in advance!x

That’s the most ridiculous thing I’ve ever heard. You have to laugh at what clients say sometimes.

I did have one lady wear skin tight jeans after and the inside of her legs was totally gone where she sweated/rubbed but it wouldn’t happen all over. My lady was genuine and was still coming back for tans when she mentioned it.

Anyone tries this again you ask for a photo of their tan line area in the first instance and that will be your proof. And you can say ‘wow looks great, it’s come out as expected at x percent we agreed.’ Usually they need some sort of confidence building, especially if they are used to being orange.

You offered a solution (respray) and she said no, so obviously she is still tanned. I’d have asked for this refund to be in person that same day so I can see for myself.

Anyone that even mentions the word suing or legal action you just don’t speak to them and definitely don’t use messaging if you do. If you do then they will have it as evidence against you. Never say ‘I’m sorry.’ As that is accepting liability. ‘Oh no, is there anything I can do to help’ is better. If they say it again or do anything rash then you say ‘I’m afraid that because you’ve said you will be taking legal action I’ve been advised I’m not to speak to you about it.’ Which any solicitor would tell you.

But never worry about being sued as unless you have someone at your door with a signed for document it’s not happening. You have to have money to sue someone, which means if you are so poor you need a refund on a tan it ain’t happening.

If it’s between a few quid refund and a rant or bad review on the internet I’d take the hit and give them the money but not have them back.

Unfortunately there are chancers and liars out there who will say or do anything to get a refund. Don’t fall for it next time and ask for evidence at to what they are saying. If they can’t provide any, you know they are at it x

There are lots of reasons why a tan wouldn't develop...….your period can be one . Some people will try anything . One thing ive learnt over the years Is Consultations ,consultations & Consultations be religious about them , and get as detailed as possible , cover every contraindication . I have started using a site called type form its for surveys and forms and it all gets logged in your back office . That way you always have a record of what they put on it and you can refer back . - its not always possible but never let a chancer have the opportunity always back yourself up with paperwork - unfortunately its the world we live in

That’s the most ridiculous thing I’ve ever heard. You have to laugh at what clients say sometimes.

I did have one lady wear skin tight jeans after and the inside of her legs was totally gone where she sweated/rubbed but it wouldn’t happen all over. My lady was genuine and was still coming back for tans when she mentioned it.

Anyone tries this again you ask for a photo of their tan line area in the first instance and that will be your proof. And you can say ‘wow looks great, it’s come out as expected at x percent we agreed.’ Usually they need some sort of confidence building, especially if they are used to being orange.

You offered a solution (respray) and she said no, so obviously she is still tanned. I’d have asked for this refund to be in person that same day so I can see for myself.

Anyone that even mentions the word suing or legal action you just don’t speak to them and definitely don’t use messaging if you do. If you do then they will have it as evidence against you. Never say ‘I’m sorry.’ As that is accepting liability. ‘Oh no, is there anything I can do to help’ is better. If they say it again or do anything rash then you say ‘I’m afraid that because you’ve said you will be taking legal action I’ve been advised I’m not to speak to you about it.’ Which any solicitor would tell you.

But never worry about being sued as unless you have someone at your door with a signed for document it’s not happening. You have to have money to sue someone, which means if you are so poor you need a refund on a tan it ain’t happening.

If it’s between a few quid refund and a rant or bad review on the internet I’d take the hit and give them the money but not have them back.
Who would ever sue over a tan anyway? I've never heard of anyone suing over a small amount of money like so, not even if someone's hair came out orange. The solicitor alone costs more then the spray tan when your carrying out a service for someone you need to be thick skinned. I've never had a client tell me the tan is awful but there has been one certain client, tanning her for years and she would be the very one not to listen to prep advice and wear tight gym clothing to her appointments

Latest posts

Back