Client threatening legal action

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pinknsparkly

Reaction score
So a client had a course of Microdermabrasion combined with alternate Microcurrent facials.

The course was 10 facials the last one being Microdermabrasion. She has been a bit of a nightmare throughout swooping and changing appointments.

So to cut a long story short she didn't turn up to her last treatment of the course and then rang that afternoon to rebook.

We told her no and that she had lost her treatment as we had turned another client away for the slot.

She was angry and shouting and screaming at my 16 year old receptionist, so we hung up the phone and didn't speak to her again.

Now we have a solicitors letter claiming she is wanting a settlement as the last Microdermabrasion she had with us ( the one she missed that we never did!!) She has severe bruising and damage to her skin.

Not sure how we go about this as she's lieing and we never treated her that day- but how would we prove this. She was noted in the diary as not showing up and staff are witnesses to this and there was a regular client in at the time who was aware she hadn't shown as we mentioned it.

Any ideas what to respond as not sure I want to involve insurance when we didn't actually even do anything.

Won't she have to prove to the doctor or something she was actually hurt or something?

Solicitors letter is fairly meaningless. Anyone can pay for one to be sent.

Either ignore it or write back informing her that you have proof that she wasn't in the salon on that date and you look forward to seeing her in court. Keep it short, factual and professional. Don't enter into any discussion by phone or text.

Thanks I think that I will ignore for now. Apparently she had photos and has been seen by a doctor.

Thanks I think that I will ignore for now. Apparently she had photos and has been seen by a doctor.

She's clearly a female dog..... Forget about it and have a good night sleep.

I would phone your insurance company and send them I copy of the lawyers letter, details of her phone call (what was said, who took the call, time the call came in and finished and who witness the phone call), copy of her FTA in the apt book and statements to the fact she did not attended her apt.

Let them deal with her, this what we paid insurance premiums for.

If she is lying, this is fraud, (she's trying to defraud you/your insurance company), so she could see herself in a lot of trouble!

There seems to be a quote a few threads on here about clients block booking facials, cancelling them at short notice or FTA and demanding refunds.

I think when block booking people in for these treatments for £££ contracts should be put in place or clients have to sign their client record cards to say they have read the terms and conditions to say they understand the salons cancelation policy.

Verbal agreement from the client, is not enough especially when large sums are involved.

Last edited:
I agree with the above.

Insurances have on tap solicitors who deal with this thing all the time

I also agree with Lady Murasaki.

In the end, you have to protect yourself. She sounds like she might be a little bit nuts, so take notes of times, dates and what was said.

I would also look into contracts and legal advice. I'm not too sure how it works in the UK but in Australia if I had missed a pre-paid appointment and wasn't allowed to reschedule or get a refund, that would be completely illegal - regardless of the reason or backstory.

I would also look into contracts and legal advice. I'm not too sure how it works in the UK but in Australia if I had missed a pre-paid appointment and wasn't allowed to reschedule or get a refund, that would be completely illegal - regardless of the reason or backstory.

Luckily then, that's not the case in the U.K.
If as a client, you pay for a service and don't turn up, it's effectively a cancellation without notice and you've lost your money. The salon isn't obliged at all to reschedule or refund you. If they choose to do so, that's entirely at their discretion.

When you book and pay for a course of treatments, you're usually getting a good discount compared to what you'd pay if you booked the session individually. You are also guaranteed that specific date/time slot.

Compare it to travelling. If you book a train ticket well in advance, you get the date/time you want and often at a discount but the cancellation options are usually more limited. If you book on the day, the cost is much higher.

Luckily then, that's not the case in the U.K.
If as a client, you pay for a service and don't turn up, it's effectively a cancellation without notice and you've lost your money. The salon isn't obliged at all to reschedule or refund you. If they choose to do so, that's entirely at their discretion.

When you book and pay for a course of treatments, you're usually getting a good discount compared to what you'd pay if you booked the session individually. You are also guaranteed that specific date/time slot.

Compare it to travelling. If you book a train ticket well in advance, you get the date/time you want and often at a discount but the cancellation options are usually more limited. If you book on the day, the cost is much higher.

Hmm, I dunno, I would still look into it. Without strict T&C's or a signed agreement things could get pretty hairy.

Thanks all maybe will contact insurance later today, the thing is if she hadn't acted completely nasty rude straight away and appologised probably would have given her benefit of doubt once and rescheduled. Can't believe she has made all this up though- have contacted the client that was present at the time she didn't show and she said she would be happy to write a written statement to that effect.

Sounds like a 'client' I had! They will try anything! They are just angry and throwing a tantrum as she knows she's in the wrong! You haven't done anything bad x

I would defintiely contact your insurance company before replying, if it does escalate your insurance could be invalid because you had responded without their approval. Plus it may make her realise that you are not going to be an easy push over and to pursue it is going to start costing her.

Sounds like a horrible situation. I feel for you. I think you are home and dry on the injury side of things if she didn't come to the appointment. I have an online consultation form and agreement that clients have to sign about cancellations and missed appointments (being part of it) that has to be completed 24 hrs before the appointment. Do you have anything like that you could show to back up your case? If she takes you all the way on this you would need written evidence that she had agreed to a cancellation policy or that you had communicated it to her. Is it on any of your price lists etc?

Get your own legal representation, if it were me I would be straight onto my insurance company and going to see a solicitor. I would be suing her for slander and fraud, she's lying, you have proof and witnesses, she'll get caught out and hopefully through the right channels pay for it!

As I said on another discussion, get your T&C's on your website, your price lists and at reception, I think it's a really good idea re the contract for courses, get the client to read and sign, I've not done that yet but I'm definitely going to!!

Latest posts

Back