Client understands she is at fault but wants nails re-done for free?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

misslady

Reaction score
Hi, I posted a couple of days ago about a client complaining of Gellux peeling 2 days after I did them. She had her baby there at the time and the constant interruptions and breaks made it really difficult. It took about 1.5 hours.

I asked for help on here how to respond and said this:
The*time*lapse*between applying each layer has*caused*the*polish*to shrink*away*from*the*free edge, causing*it*to*be exposed and chip off. The layers*are*not*finished*until the*final*top*coat*goes*on.
Ideally, the*service*needs to be carried out from start to finish without any breaks to receive the full benefit.

She first replied saying 'oh I see' even though I told her many times 'your nails are still wet'. Now her second response is that she's still not happy and wants them done free of charge and promises not to have her baby around next time. As I am mobile both my time and petrol are money. If I had a salon or base I would tell her to come in. But I am not sure why I should drive to her and do them for free for nothing. Especially when she knows and acknowledges that she is at fault.Can you please tell me whether you would do them again for free? x

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

Sorry about all the asterisks, I copied that bit from an email

If he understands that it's her fault then I wouldn't do them for free, I might stretch to a discount if I was in a good mood but you did a perfectly good job so why should you do them again when it's going to cost you money? You made it clear at the time and afterwards that it's her fault, if she wants them done again she should pay xx

No you should not do them free . If you're going to have someone to your house for a treatment then have the common sense and courtesy to have your child looked after or book another day. Your petrol, products and time all need to be paid for.

Definitely not for free! If she's a good customer then perhaps a discount..but that's it. You have to be firm :wink2: xx

If you are just going to remove and reapply, then I would charge but at a discounted price as you are not filing/shaping and no cuticle work.

Some people sure have nerve. :eek:

She can't honestly expect you to travel there, use your fuel, time and materials again when it was clearly her fault.

Just stay polite and explain this and then if you want to offer a discounted price telling her it is as a "goodwill gesture" (I wouldn't btw). It depends if you want to keep her as a client.

I use Bio Sculpture & even though I am applying the gel & having it cured in the lamp, once each layer is on, then its set in place & its on. Therefore TBH what I am saying regardless of whether she had a child there, you still should had sufficient time for you to have re-dragged the brush over the free edge to cap it again, between the interruptions...

I personally think that you havent quite taken in to consideration the needs of the client. Yes she had a child with her, but so do a lot of clients like myself. Its something you need to work around & always ensure the application is thoroughly in place before curing, so that the next layer can be applied so as to prevent the problems she is having.....

Im sure she wont be the first lady to have a child with her or the last, so you need to work with that arrangement. So personally as much of a hinderance (financial loss to yourself) it is to travel to this lady, I would put myself to give her it for free. It all depends on whether you value her as a customer & you want her to keep coming back.
If it happens again then this system isnt for her & she may need something with more strength....

I use Bio Sculpture & even though I am applying the gel & having it cured in the lamp, once each layer is on, then its set in place & its on. Therefore TBH what I am saying regardless of whether she had a child there, you still should had sufficient time for you to have re-dragged the brush over the free edge to cap it again, between the interruptions...

I personally think that you havent quite taken in to consideration the needs of the client. Yes she had a child with her, but so do a lot of clients like myself. Its something you need to work around & always ensure the application is thoroughly in place before curing, so that the next layer can be applied so as to prevent the problems she is having.....

Im sure she wont be the first lady to have a child with her or the last, so you need to work with that arrangement. So personally as much of a hinderance (financial loss to yourself) it is to travel to this lady, I would put myself to give her it for free. It all depends on whether you value her as a customer & you want her to keep coming back.
If it happens again then this system isnt for her & she may need something with more strength....

I have a baby the same age. I don't think that I haven't taken it into consideration. It is unfair of her to tell me to stop applying while the nails are not cured and pick up her baby etc and smudge it, get dust and fibres in it. Then I redo it, cure it and she does the same again! Once it's cured it's still tacky until the topcoat goes on, is cured and then you remove the tacky layer. Sweeping over did nothing but ruin my polish with all the fibres.

She isn't the first lady, but if you take a peek at my other post you will see that has she asked me to wipe the baby's nose, pick her up, put her in her chair etc. How do you work with that arrangement??

I have a baby the same age. I don't think that I haven't taken it into consideration. It is unfair of her to tell me to stop applying while the nails are not cured and pick up her baby etc and smudge it, get dust and fibres in it. Then I redo it, cure it and she does the same again! Once it's cured it's still tacky until the topcoat goes on, is cured and then you remove the tacky layer. Sweeping over did nothing but ruin my polish with all the fibres.

She isn't the first lady, but if you take a peek at my other post you will see that has she asked me to wipe the baby's nose, pick her up, put her in her chair etc. How do you work with that arrangement??

You shouldn't have to "babysit" a clients child what so ever. She knew she was getting her nails done therefore made arrangements for the child to be taken care of. Simple as!

The fact is that she has compromised her treatment by constantly messing up her nails by sorting out her child. That is not your fault. You did the job.

Your job is to do nails, not look after children, wipe snotty noses and be messed around. You go to a clients house to perform treatments which you did.

I personally don't think you are in the wrong. If you are having a treatment done and have children then they should be looked after by someone else whilst it is going on. Just because you are mobile doesn't mean you should not have the same values as a salon. Most salons I know won't have children in and rightly so. I have 2 children myself and would never have them around when I needed pampering.

The most I think you should offer is a small discount but certainly not free but i wouldnt even offer that but that's me. It's your time,products and petrol! X

She asked you to wipe her child's nose??!!! Thats shocking!

Think you really need to decide whether or not you want to keep her as a client - if you have enough work otherwise, then I don't think I would bother!!

If you do, then I'm afraid if you have explained to her that it is her fault, and she understands that then no I wouldn't give a discount, and certainly not do them free!

Its your time, petrol, products etc that you would be de-valueing, I'm sure you're worth more than that :biggrin:

Hi, I posted a couple of days ago about a client complaining of Gellux peeling 2 days after I did them. She had her baby there at the time and the constant interruptions and breaks made it really difficult. It took about 1.5 hours.

I asked for help on here how to respond and said this:
The*time*lapse*between applying each layer has*caused*the*polish*to shrink*away*from*the*free edge, causing*it*to*be exposed and chip off. The layers*are*not*finished*until the*final*top*coat*goes*on.
Ideally, the*service*needs to be carried out from start to finish without any breaks to receive the full benefit.

She first replied saying 'oh I see' even though I told her many times 'your nails are still wet'. Now her second response is that she's still not happy and wants them done free of charge and promises not to have her baby around next time. As I am mobile both my time and petrol are money. If I had a salon or base I would tell her to come in. But I am not sure why I should drive to her and do them for free for nothing. Especially when she knows and acknowledges that she is at fault.Can you please tell me whether you would do them again for free? x

If she knows shes in the wrong then no i wouldnt? Stubben me?

However, if you want to keep this client and be decent, then i would repair her nails free of charge, But id ask her to put towards petrol and products, surely she should be decent anoth to do that?

Beens shes getting a full set for free?:rolleyes:
I had this recently a client come in with a simular producting stating it had peeled, applying the top coat she says "they only started peeling once i came out the swimming baths"

You have to be so clever as clients, Some of them do try and play games:grr:

I wouldn't do them for free. I would offer the client a discounted treatment but that's it.

Although this was the clients fault you should of made it clear at the time that she may have problems because of the continuous interruptions. I don't know the full story but you state that the client told you to stop applying, it should of been you telling the client to keep still and stop faffing.

If you told her throughout the service to stop moving and that her nails might not last then I think its fair to say you have done nothing wrong. If you didn't say anything then how was she to know there would be a problem?

I would of refused to do the service when I got there unless I knew for certain the baby would be asleep throughout the treatment.

You do not need to work with this arrangement at all. Children should not be present during a treatment, it's a health and safety issue.

I wouldn't allow a client to have a service like this with a small baby attached iny salon! You are a professional trying to do a professional job! You can't be expected to run a business when clients aren't suitably organised! Would she like you to take your baby along to look after whole you do her nails? I doubt it! Make her pay I say! ;)

I would absolutely not do them for free. I wouldn't even give a discount. I would send her a message saying that if I thought the problem was due to my application or products I would consider re-doing them. However, on this occasion the fault lies with the constant interruptions. As you have said this will cost you time and petrol money - not worth it.

If this ever happens to you in the future it would be worth doing one hand completely at a time. That way she can fiddle with the baby with the other hand. It will obviously take longer, particularly if you are using a UV lamp and not an LED, but the result will be better.

Thanks for all of your responses. I think on this occasion I will offer her a discount to do them at the same price as my minimum call out fee of £15. I'll let you know how I get on. xx

defo charge her something. Like you've said your minimum callout.

I work mobile and from home, although am thinking of giving up mobile due to the ever increasing price of petrol.

It is easy when you are mobile or need the money or starting out to go and do something to please somebody in the hope that that will make them become a regular / rebook but what I always say now is remember people are fickle.

I did exactly this with a client who I applied Minx to a while back. I went and fixed her Minx which she had scraped in the swimming pool and didn't charge her!!! I guess it is all a learning curve. I don't even go to that client anymore!

As time has gone on I remember what my husband always says to me. I am running my own business, I am the boss, I should say what goes and if they don't like it then.......

I mean the amount of people that think because I am mobile/home based they can just ring up and be entitled to a discount.

Sorry that turned into a MY rant!

x

defo charge her something. Like you've said your minimum callout.

I did exactly this with a client who I applied Minx to a while back. I went and fixed her Minx which she had scraped in the swimming pool and didn't charge her!!! I guess it is all a learning curve. I don't even go to that client anymore!

I mean the amount of people that think because I am mobile/home based they can just ring up and be entitled to a discount.

Sorry that turned into a MY rant!

x

That's ok! But I know what you mean, they are trying to devalue our work. x

Well I have an update!

I offered her the discount and told her I could do them Wednesday.

She responded saying 'Not to worry, I am going to a wedding tomorrow which was the main reason I wanted them redone, so Wednesday is too late. Thanks, speak soon.'

Not sure what to make of that really.

x

Latest posts

Back