Client using sunbed before waxing

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bella771

Reaction score
:confused:

Hi

Just a quick question, my client has starting using sunbeds. She is due for her waxing next week as going on hols. Can she still use sunbeads prior to week of her waxing or even up to the day before she gets waxed? I know she cant use them for at least 48hrs after she gets waxed just wondered does it affect before?

thanks guys

You will take all the tan she has managed to build off with the wax.

The sunbeds may also make the skin more sensitive, as you are burning/cooking the skin to get a tan.

do you know years ago when i started out first we were told it was ok to have waxing after the sunbed as it made waxing easier on the client !!!!:eek:

Its wrong to assume that the tan being build up will be removed- ifs it a spraytan then yeah, (its the DHA coming off) but not for sunbed. The sunbed builds up the melanin in your skin tone making it go darker over a period of time. The wax would not take off the built up tan as the melanin is coming up to the surface 48hours after going on the sunbed, causing some people to look darker several days after using the sunbed.

As someone that owns sunbeds i would advise a temporary break inbetween waxing, as the skin is cooling down from the sunbed, use a sensitive wax. We have no problems in the salon from this method. So sunbed before waxing, never the other way round! xoxo

Melanin only tans the top layer of skin so when you wax and remove that layer, off comes the tan - regardless of if it's a spray tan or a sunbed tan or a natural tan.

The only layer of skin that will change colour is the top layer and that gets taken away when you wax so the tan is taken with the skin.

She may have the slight tanning effect continue from her last bed or 2 show through a day or 2 later as you say but if she has been going on the beds for weeks in an effort to get a tan to go away then waxing is going to remove that tan and IF she is lucky she will get the little mealine reaction happen after the waxing to give her a little of that colour back.

I think i would recommend 24 hours before waxing due to sensitivity, though i have had clients come pretty much straight from one for a brow shape...very sweaty might i add. Not my favourite treatment then, lol.

I agree that it would remove the tan. I tan really well, especially if i'm on holiday and if i come home and wax my legs some of the tan comes off with the top layer of skin. Not the entire tan of course, but some xx

Waxing doesn't remove real tan, only fake tan.

Basically, if the skin is sore or tender from going on the sun bed, then she would be stupid to get waxed as she'll be really sore afterwards and in extreme cases, you might lift the skin or cause hyperpigmentation.

Waxing won't remove the tan. I would advise no sunbeds 24 hours before or 24 hours after waxing.

Waxing will not remove a sun bed or a natural tan!! Yes it removes the very top layer of dead skin but no more than a good body scrub would do! I've waxed myself for nearly 20 years and have used sunbeds and sunbathed and have never had a problem!! Yes follow all your basic rules and make sure it's 24-48 hours after a sunbed that you wax and then another 24-48 hours until you next go on a sunbed or in the sun then there will be no problems.

I agree with the two comments above ^
I'd personally try and get them to avoid sunbeds for at least 24 hours before and after waxing (as the skin remains warm after a sunbed, this could cause the skin to be much more sensitive )

I think it just looks like its removing the tan.. I had a wax before and after a holiday and before I went I was using the sunbed.. It looked like my tan had came off as the therapist was waxing because the dry skin removed looked very pale compared to the rest of my legs.. I thought my legs would look patchy after but when she used her after wax lotion everything evened back up :) x

I must admit, I've been waxed after being abroad and getting a tan and although I really noticed it straight after (what seemed like tan coming off) you couldn't notice it a day or two after. I don't know why this is but it was a relief I tell you! X

Waxing will not get rid of your tan all it does is remove the dead skin cells. It's an excellent exfoliator and I actually enjoy the feeling of it after I've been on my hols as my legs always feel lovely.
Spray tans are another matter. You can see the tan on the wax strip,always a dead giveaway that the clients been tanned.
I would happily do the waxing the dayafter the client has been on the sun bed as long as there were no issues with sensitivity.

Melanin only tans the top layer of skin so when you wax and remove that layer, off comes the tan - regardless of if it's a spray tan or a sunbed tan or a natural tan.

The only layer of skin that will change colour is the top layer and that gets taken away when you wax so the tan is taken with the skin.

She may have the slight tanning effect continue from her last bed or 2 show through a day or 2 later as you say but if she has been going on the beds for weeks in an effort to get a tan to go away then waxing is going to remove that tan and IF she is lucky she will get the little mealine reaction happen after the waxing to give her a little of that colour back.
I use sunbeds and was and the wax doesn't affect the tan at all. Melanin DOES change the colour of the skin, its totally unaffected by waxing as it is deep in the skins layers.

That is just not true. Melanin is building up from the base layers of skin. A natural tan is not just the top layer of skin. I have never lost my tan after waxing.

Latest posts

Back