Client walked off after treatments, without paying

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

july

Reaction score
Hi guys, you wouldn't believe what happened to me yday! This guy came for a massage, initially he said he wants a full body massage, ok. I told him I'm gonna pop outside while he gets changed, to keep his underwear on and cover with the towel. He said he doesn't wear underwear. I thought that was a bit dodgy, but then there are people who perhaps dont't wear them, right? I said ok, can you cover you middle with the towel and thenhop on the couch and cover yourself with the other towel. He said he's too hot 2 have 2 towels. I've explained that the victorian building where I am is quite cool and he might find it a bit chilly but ok, if he's not comfortable, let him keep just the towel around his middle. And then he said he can only stay for 1/2hr but he'd still like a full body massage, can I do it in half an hr?! I said ok.
I've done the massage, he got changed, I said that's £18, he said if it's ok to pop out to the car as he left his wallet there. And he gone he was, he didn't come back!!!!!
I was gutted, can you believe it?? I was thinking I should've gone with him, but that's a bit...don't know!
What do you think???
Jules

oh ah...I would prob report him to the police....sounds very suspect to me. I would be asking has he done this before....did you have his details on a consultation card?
I am concerned as Im mobile...how do you deal with non-paying customers besides the obvious of not returning to them
Are you alright apart from being taken aback?

I would phone the police too hun, and tell give them all the details you have on his record card and a description - you prob wont get your money back but it may help stop this wierdo from doing it again. I would be inclinded to sort out payment before hand....maybe you could say that it would spoil the nice relaxed state they will be in after by having to mess about with money etc.:hug:

I have his details, but doubt it that they're correct now. Tried to call him, but of course, no answer.
I'm inclined not to do any men at all, what do you think??
Good idea with asking for money beforehand...
Jules

I don't know if it would be all men, I bet there are women that would do this too! I would definatly phone the police, what with all the cameras there are about nowadays they may have caught his car reg or something x x

I've asked for money before hand when I used to work in a salon and the person seemed slightly suspicious, they were happy to pay upfront. I've paid before a treatment in a salon too (perhaps they thought I looked a little odd@) :hug: Definately report this to the police.

You can try the police, although they are too busy chasing terrorists these days IMO!!! however what I would do is phone all the other salons in the area and warn them about him - chances are he'll do it in other places too. Doesn't help you get your money back, but at least you have a chance of getting back at him!

Sounds to me that he didn't really want a massage at all....he's probably saved his money to go somewhere else. I think at the point where he said he was too hot to have a towel and that he only had half an hour, I'd have shown him the door tbh. x

the beauty therapist in the salon i work in (i only do nails) will take on male clients for massage etc but only if it's someone she knows - ie a female clients husband/relative.

i think if u work in your own in an intimate environment that might be an idea

the beauty therapist in the salon i work in (i only do nails) will take on male clients for massage etc but only if it's someone she knows - ie a female clients husband/relative.

i think if u work in your own in an intimate environment that might be an idea

That's a good idea!!! thanks

Hi Jules I have been an aromatherpist for a good few years now and actually refuse to take on male clients anymore as have had similar experiences and now only treat males I know it is a sad fact that working alone puts us at risk. I now make my therapy service exclusive to women but that does not cut the risk of a non paying client maybe we should make them pay up front. :cry:
I agree with the others that calling the police is a good idea we can't let idiots like that get away with cheating us therapists. Best of luck

Hi guys, you wouldn't believe what happened to me yday! This guy came for a massage, initially he said he wants a full body massage, ok. I told him I'm gonna pop outside while he gets changed, to keep his underwear on and cover with the towel. He said he doesn't wear underwear. I thought that was a bit dodgy, but then there are people who perhaps dont't wear them, right? I said ok, can you cover you middle with the towel and thenhop on the couch and cover yourself with the other towel. He said he's too hot 2 have 2 towels. I've explained that the victorian building where I am is quite cool and he might find it a bit chilly but ok, if he's not comfortable, let him keep just the towel around his middle. And then he said he can only stay for 1/2hr but he'd still like a full body massage, can I do it in half an hr?! I said ok.
I've done the massage, he got changed, I said that's £18, he said if it's ok to pop out to the car as he left his wallet there. And he gone he was, he didn't come back!!!!!
I was gutted, can you believe it?? I was thinking I should've gone with him, but that's a bit...don't know!
What do you think???
Jules

I have had a male client say he wants to be naked as he is to hot, and i said i would put a fan on for him, but that wasnt good enough, he then said he didnt want me to get oil on his designer underpants so I said that i wouldnt as i would tuck a towel into them! he didnt come back although he did pay me, but he gave false name and phone number and he had done it to other salons in the area of which now we are wise too! i was so worried as i have had dodgy phone calls, so now i only do male clients if they have been referred ie husbands boyfriends/ friends of existing clients, which works exceptionally well. its a shame for the genuine guy that wants a massage, but we have to protect ourselves.

Sounds to me that he didn't really want a massage at all....he's probably saved his money to go somewhere else. I think at the point where he said he was too hot to have a towel and that he only had half an hour, I'd have shown him the door tbh. x

i think you might be right there judy.

I dont think the police would want to know.I really feel that it's a case of you win some you lose some.

Dont get me wrong,I feel for you.But tbh,I think you're fighting a losing battle. He probably gave you a fake name and number anyway during your consultation.Chin up though hun,we are therapists not mindreaders.

Men need massage just as much as women,however I would NEVER carrry out a treatment on a man I didn't know,or if alone in the salon.I love my job but not that much.

From what you have said your instincts warned you almost straight away what kind of guy this was and you didn't listen to them.
I worked many years in a health club where our main clientelle were men,we massaged many a day. BUT we never took telephone bookings unless they were already customers we knew.If we felt remotely wary about anything we didnt do them,we told any men enquiring that we were a straight premises.
They all filled out detailed cards,Our room had a window in the door which for newer customers we would leave the blind up and another therapist would check we were ok.We never booked more than half hour for first treatment.They used to have to use all the facilities so we could check them out and we knew they had showered and were clean.
Even after all that occasionally a dodgy one would slip through but they were very brave to try it on with 5 girls working together.When they came down the stairs they had to run a gauntlet of disaproval and disgust and of course they never came back.

I agree with judy here, sounds to me like he didnt want a massage at all - he was expecting something else too!!!!

I would have binned him off the min he mentioned no underwear!!!!! :irked: dirrty perv!

xx

always make clients pay for treatments before hand

also if in doubt dont do the treatment, he sounded a bit dodgy to me

I agree with judy here, sounds to me like he didnt want a massage at all - he was expecting something else too!!!!

I would have binned him off the min he mentioned no underwear!!!!! :irked: dirrty perv!

xx

I agree. Cheeky bugger. :hug:

I would report all crimes to the police, not that I would think they could/would necessarily do anything about it, but because they have to make a record of the theft and this makes crime stats in your area more acurate. This in turn may help to make a small difference to the bigger picture-just a wierd hope of mine...:eek:

Latest posts

Back