Client walked out without paying

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't get me wrong this is incredibly frustrating however people need to remain professional otherwise it only reflects badly on you otherwise.

Sending invoices, small claims court etc etc. All makes sense and is the right thing to do, heck even if you went to a fitness boot camp of hers and walked off without paying MAYBE you'd get away with it but than coming down to her level won't help and she could then go bad mouth you to everyone bringing bad attention to your business.

As for publicly shaming her with reviews etc, it's totally unprofessional and unethical and looks worse on you than her. You're potentially showing your professionalism to 5,000 of her friends and bad mouthing spreads quick. It's not worth the hassle to be totally honest.

Chalk it up to experience in my opinion. I've had clients go AWOL owing £££'s and most the time it's too much hassle to chase.

I totally agree but I don't think she should get away without paying, hell, if everyone did that I wouldn't have a business!

Do you know what ? BP you're probably right, and that's the mature and right response, I get that.......but I don't know if I could actually bear the injustice [emoji4]

Hi guys!!

So slightly off point but I used to work in a clothes shop and we used to have people "forget their card" and in the end we used to say that's fine - you can use the phone to call your mum, friend, 8th cousin - whoever - that can make payment over the phone on your behalf and not let them leave! This was 12 years ago but I think you can still take payment over the phone for cards?! Least that way they can't leave and it shows your already on to them if there thinking of doing a runner??!! Xxx

Well for the first time in almost 8 years, we've got ourselves a runner!
Lady came in (she's been once before) for an eyebrow shape and said she'd left her card in the car. She was only parked across the road in a car park, well that was 4 hours ago.
She may still come back I guess but we've called twice with no response.
I know it's a small amount of money but there's no way I'm not going to pursue this! What can I do?

This is absolutely disgusting and stories like this really infuriate me! we work so hard and sometimes (very rarely) the odd client will do something like this which is soooo disheartening! Karma will come back on these kinds of people and just because its an eyebrow wax she cannot get away with this it is pure principle! you wouldn't go into a supermarket and walk out with a 99p bottle of water without paying and not be prosecuted so why should this be any different? I'm not too sure what the police would have to say about this? (I'm assuming you've contacted them?) but if they say that this is a civil matter (which is disgraceful) you can most definitely take this horrible lady to court! and I hope you do! best of luck and I hope you get it sorted! xx

I've not gone to the police or anything yet.
I feel like I should let enough time pass to make sure she's not planning on coming back.
I'm not sure if to approach the police, I would feel a little silly?!
I sent her a Facebook message last night. No reply.
So this morning I rang her and thought I'd give her one last chance to change her mind and pay up.
I said that we are assuming it was a genuine mistake and that 'you had probably forgotten to return, however we urgently need you to contact us to reassure us that this is the case'
About an hour later she phoned and spoke to my colleague. Apparently when she went to her car her debit card had physically broken so couldn't pay.
**Errrr she could have walked back or phoned us to tell us?!**
And that she was on her way in to make payment.
Well that was at 10am this morning and she never showed up.
I sent her a text around 3 explaining that we close at 5 and would need payment before then, but she didn't come in or contact us again.

Anyway, in the morning I'm going to phone and leave ANOTHER message and say that we've given her plenty of time and if she doesn't pay by the end of the day, we'll have to assume she's not willing to pay and therefore look to seek further advice.

I'm so flipping angry.

Maybe she's broke? like no dollar dollar

I've not gone to the police or anything yet.
I feel like I should let enough time pass to make sure she's not planning on coming back.
I'm not sure if to approach the police, I would feel a little silly?!
I sent her a Facebook message last night. No reply.
So this morning I rang her and thought I'd give her one last chance to change her mind and pay up.
I said that we are assuming it was a genuine mistake and that 'you had probably forgotten to return, however we urgently need you to contact us to reassure us that this is the case'
About an hour later she phoned and spoke to my colleague. Apparently when she went to her car her debit card had physically broken so couldn't pay.
**Errrr she could have walked back or phoned us to tell us?!**
And that she was on her way in to make payment.
Well that was at 10am this morning and she never showed up.
I sent her a text around 3 explaining that we close at 5 and would need payment before then, but she didn't come in or contact us again.

Anyway, in the morning I'm going to phone and leave ANOTHER message and say that we've given her plenty of time and if she doesn't pay by the end of the day, we'll have to assume she's not willing to pay and therefore look to seek further advice.

I'm so flipping angry.

do not feel silly for contacting the police its your right to and anyone else would do the same! i know i would! i think its 101 you call for non emergency and you can just seek advice if anything they will advise you where to go from there, i would actually tell her if she doesn't pay by the end of the working day tomorrow you will be taking legal action not advice as this would scare her more! sounds like she's just away with the fairies. hope u get it sorted x

I hope karma sorts her out! Sadly not everyone has basic morals and respect

It's effectively stealing. Tesco would call the police if she nicked £9 worth

I'd just leave it now as you have tried your best I know it's annoying but is your stress and time chasing it really worth £9

I'd just leave it now as you have tried your best I know it's annoying but is your stress and time chasing it really worth £9

Yes it is! If If she can get away with it what's stopping everyone else doing it?!

Yes two!! [emoji15]
Oh my god! Have you left a message on her answerphone?
Yes it is! If If she can get away with it what's stopping everyone else doing it?!
But they don't do they and they haven't as its first time in 8 years so just cause you drop it doesn't mean everyone is going to start doing this and at least next time you will be more aware and maybe ask the customer to leave their phone or something of value while they nip to get cash. If you want to stress yourself out about it carry on fighting to get it back- good luck I know I wouldn't have the time or energy........

But they don't do they and they haven't as its first time in 8 years so just cause you drop it doesn't mean everyone is going to start doing this and at least next time you will be more aware and maybe ask the customer to leave their phone or something of value while they nip to get cash. If you want to stress yourself out about it carry on fighting to get it back- good luck I know I wouldn't have the time or energy........

Out of principle I will do everything I can to get that money back.
After clients have for 8 years paid for their treatments in full, there's no way I'll let this girl be so disrespectful and not pay for a treatment she has received.
Think I owe that to my loyal customers.

After clients have for 8 years paid for their treatments in full, there's no way I'll let this girl be so disrespectful and not pay for a treatment she has received.

do not listen to people telling you to leave this! this is your business that you have worked hard for and what she's done is theft! if she gives u your money back I would tell her she is no longer welcome in your salon! what she's done is straight up wrong morally and in the eyes of the law!

I get what you are trying to achieve but I'm sure your loyal customers would rather you focus your energy on your business as you're not letting yourself or anyone down if you dont get the money from her. By all means try but the police and a solicitor will advise you to drop it for £9. If this girl does things like this karma will come her way she cant get away with behaviour like this forever and if she does she will have nowhere left to have her eyebrows done lol. I really would leave it with regards to Facebook posting it online etc as it could turn around on you as she isn't going to admit she did a runner and will prob just say you messed her brows up so that's why she didn't pay - even if you take her to small claims she will obvs discuss it with people and will not admit she stole but bad mouth your work- that could damage you more than her missing payment and the principle of it.

So this morning I'm going to give her another call and give her one more chance before I look into further action.
It's odd that she actually contacted us yesterday saying she was going to pay but still never did?! I wonder if she just thinks in time we will forget about it.

Doesn't matter if it's £9 or £900 it's the principle I'm sure whoever she is would be furious if everyone just walked the other way when she asked for payment at her boot camp!

You need to put a value on the principle in this case. A solicitor will charge you more than £9 to send a letter, small claims court would cost you £25 approx. so you'd lose even more.

It's frustrating as hell but you literally have no recourse that would lead to financial gain for you. No matter what you do it will mean you'll just lose more money. Think of all your time you'll spend calling, sending letters, messaging, generally chasing the debt, you could spend that time doing something proactive for the business that will make you money.

It's up to you what you ultimately choose to do but sometimes you have to put your business head on and take out the personal insult in not getting paid.

If you continue to chase be prepared for the backlash and bad mouthing to follow regardless of the fact she's in the wrong (she won't be telling that to her friends/people she speaks to). It could damage your reputation long term and she could even 'in theory' report you for harassment. Crazy world we live in but the only way to deal with it are the official channels or not at all.

I get what you are trying to achieve but I'm sure your loyal customers would rather you focus your energy on your business as you're not letting yourself or anyone down if you dont get the money from her. By all means try but the police and a solicitor will advise you to drop it for £9. If this girl does things like this karma will come her way she cant get away with behaviour like this forever and if she does she will have nowhere left to have her eyebrows done lol. I really would leave it with regards to Facebook posting it online etc as it could turn around on you as she isn't going to admit she did a runner and will prob just say you messed her brows up so that's why she didn't pay - even if you take her to small claims she will obvs discuss it with people and will not admit she stole but bad mouth your work- that could damage you more than her missing payment and the principle of it.

I agree. Choose your battles and this one I wouldn't focus all my energy on. I would ban her from the salon Indefinitely but don't tarnish your positive vibes on this bad apple

Latest posts

Back