Client walked out without paying

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jemfox

Reaction score
Well for the first time in almost 8 years, we've got ourselves a runner!
Lady came in (she's been once before) for an eyebrow shape and said she'd left her card in the car. She was only parked across the road in a car park, well that was 4 hours ago.
She may still come back I guess but we've called twice with no response.
I know it's a small amount of money but there's no way I'm not going to pursue this! What can I do?

Oh my god! Have you left a message on her answerphone?

Oh no, this does not sound great. I would keep ringing and leaving messages and even say you have no choice but to inform the police. Blooming cheek! They wouldnt do it in tesco and get away with it, boils my p**s!!!!!

Don't know what she's thinking, I've just quite easily looked her up on Facebook, so know exactly where she works and what she looks like!

What the hell?!! I suppose you may have to wait a certain amount of time to do this but send her a bill? Someone suggested to me the other day about sending a payment request via PayPal-they don't have to have PayPal either all they need is a bank card! Let us know what happens!
Yes it's only a small amount but it's your time, products and business! If it didn't mean anything you would do them for free! X

Send her an invoice telling her she has 7 days to pay it and if she doesn't her details will be passed to a debt collecting agency and her credit rating may be affected. This is so disrespectful!!

Book her in again and wax both eyebrows off by mistake [emoji6]

Damn cheek! Some good ideas above

I had this last December she had €110 worth of treatments done and I even stayed on late to fit her in, her card declined and she said she'd pop back in the hour and give me cash ... I'm still waiting for her to come back with the cash ! I contacted her numerous times and she always said she would drop it off but never showed

Unfortunately it sounds like she knows exactly what's she's doing, even if you know exactly who she is, the police can do nothing, it's a civil matter

Honestly it amazes me that someone has the nerve to look another person in the eye and tell them they'll be back with the money and knowing they won't .... I get a heart attack when I can't find my card/purse in a shop and feel like people think I'm trying to pull a fast one !!

At least 99.9% of people out there are honest clients

I had this last December she had €110 worth of treatments done and I even stayed on late to fit her in, her card declined and she said she'd pop back in the hour and give me cash ... I'm still waiting for her to come back with the cash ! I contacted her numerous times and she always said she would drop it off but never showed

Unfortunately it sounds like she knows exactly what's she's doing, even if you know exactly who she is, the police can do nothing, it's a civil matter

Honestly it amazes me that someone has the nerve to look another person in the eye and tell them they'll be back with the money and knowing they won't .... I get a heart attack when I can't find my card/purse in a shop and feel like people think I'm trying to pull a fast one !!

That's terrible, and you've never received the money?

Well if the police can't do anything I'll turn up at her work! And I'll walk out of there proudly with my £9!!!!

Well I've just looked at her Facebook page and she's been putting up statuses, so presumably she hasn't been injured, had a family bereavement or other emergency meaning she couldn't return our calls [emoji35][emoji35][emoji35]

How is it a civil matter, if we drive off with petrol without paying or grab something in a shop and run off without paying we get caught by the police and get warnings?! Surely this is the same thing-she's had a service/treatment and run off without paying!
Not having a go noreen, just wonder how this is justified to be a "civil matter" in eyes of police?

How is it a civil matter, if we drive off with petrol without paying or grab something in a shop and run off without paying we get caught by the police and get warnings?! Surely this is the same thing-she's had a service/treatment and run off without paying!
Not having a go noreen, just wonder how this is justified to be a "civil matter" in eyes of police?

It's a valid question and one I asked the guards myself (that's what we call the police in Ireland) . It's a service , not a product like petrol or goods from a shop. If payment isn't made its between us, not a police matter. It's akin to being unhappy with a meal and refusing to pay, or the plumber only did half the job and you didn't pay him etc. It's not for the police to decide if payment should be made for a service rendered.

I could take her to a small claims court if I had her home address, and wanted to loose a day in the salon ( which would cost me a lot more that the treatments) , nope I'm just praying on karma to come around and to meet her in tesco or something so I shout across to her she still owes the salon over €100 although somethings tells me she would be brazen enough to not be embarrassed

I can't believe the audacity of some people [emoji43]

I'm just so angry!
On her Facebook page she has 5000 friends and no privacy settings. She does fitness boot camps fairly locally. I literally could just turn up to one and mention she owes me money or even write on her Facebook wall?!
Maybe she doesn't think I will for £9 but she is very very wrong!

Turn up to her fitness boot camp and walk off without paying, see how she likes it

You would think as she sounds like a business owner herself that she would realise what she has done

If you put something on her Facebook wall she will just delete it, I would message her and say if you do not pay by close of business today you will report her to the police for theft

Turn up to her fitness boot camp and walk off without paying, see how she likes it

You would think as she sounds like a business owner herself that she would realise what she has done

If you put something on her Facebook wall she will just delete it, I would message her and say if you do not pay by close of business today you will report her to the police for theft
Not if you leave it in a review on her page if she has one!

You're holding all the cards here.....up to you how you decide to play them but personally ? And if it's an absolute definite 'runner' (and it would be difficult for it to be any other ) I'd go for the max publicity option, perhaps having made completely sure who you're dealing with first [emoji4]

Oh yes of course forgot about the review bit lol

I'd try to contact her again and if no luck do the review comment

Don't get me wrong this is incredibly frustrating however people need to remain professional otherwise it only reflects badly on you otherwise.

Sending invoices, small claims court etc etc. All makes sense and is the right thing to do, heck even if you went to a fitness boot camp of hers and walked off without paying MAYBE you'd get away with it but than coming down to her level won't help and she could then go bad mouth you to everyone bringing bad attention to your business.

As for publicly shaming her with reviews etc, it's totally unprofessional and unethical and looks worse on you than her. You're potentially showing your professionalism to 5,000 of her friends and bad mouthing spreads quick. It's not worth the hassle to be totally honest.

Chalk it up to experience in my opinion. I've had clients go AWOL owing £££'s and most the time it's too much hassle to chase.

Latest posts

Back