Client wanting refund for acrylics

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

millyspook

Reaction score
I've only just qualified in acrylics, I am currently offering a training price of £10 for a full set to allow for my time and products. I had a new customer last night who has never had any type of enhancement before and I did a set of acrylics in cover pink. They looked nice and the client was happy when she left. I thought the nails were okay, there were slight lines within the cover link where I had applied the beads in the three zones but nothing too obvious and the client was aware of them but still left happy.

She has called me today to say they look awful and the people at work have said that they look okay from a distance. She wants them removed. I have said that I will remove them free if charge ( normally it would be £10 for removal) but the lady has also asked for a refund of her £10. I have said that I am happy to remove free of charge but will not offer refunds due to product cost and my time. She wasn't really happy with this but I stuck my ground and said that it is pretty standard in the industry that refunds aren't offered as she has simply decided that she now doesn't like them. I think the people at work have probably egged her on to get a refund .

Have I done the right thing? She knew I was training so the nails aren't going to be competition level but they were perfectly satisfactory nails.

Stick to your guns!! If she was aware you were training she has no come back! And let let it get you down :) x

You have done the right thing, if she was unhappy then she should have made you aware at the time you did them.
She should think herself lucky that you are removing them for free! Xx

Legally, do I have to offer a refund? I'm thinking she's probably going to contact trading standards ( or whoever it is) as she seems this type of lady. I have said I can offer a refund but then would charge for removal, so she's still £10 down.

Hiyas

I would stick to your guns Hun, people unfort will try it on, did you get her to sign a client card, If not make sure you do especially while training put all info down its a good habit to get into as that way they are agreeing that they are happy but I don't think she will go to trading standards so don't worry x

She knew you were training and she left happy...

I think you've been more than generous to offer her free removal, as this will also take up your time and products.

I don't think trading standards would even blink an eyelid at this so don't worry about that. As long as you made it clear that it was a training price she hasn't really got a leg to stand on. She left happy, it's not your fault she's decided she now does not like them. U have offered to rectify the situation by giving her a free removal.

Stand your ground! Does not sound like the type of client you wish to keep. L&p is hard to master and takes a bit of commitment from both client and tech to work together to improve your work.

Keep going and don't let this affect your confidence :)

As said above stand your ground. I offered a refund to a particular client and now she is always complaining and expecting it! Now I'm having to try and persuade her to go elsewhere Cuz she is more hassle than its worth!! Xx

I spent a lot of time beforehand explaining the difference between gels vs acrylics, went through all the colour options and pros and cons. She filled in a client consultation card and I feel confident that I did my best for her and her nails. It does knock your confidence and I feel angry that she is being like this especially when I made it very clear that I have only just qualified ( last weekend in fact!) . Thanks for your help girls, it good to know that I am not in the wrong.

I will keep on practising xx

I spent a lot of time beforehand explaining the difference between gels vs acrylics, went through all the colour options and pros and cons. She filled in a client consultation card and I feel confident that I did my best for her and her nails. It does knock your confidence and I feel angry that she is being like this especially when I made it very clear that I have only just qualified ( last weekend in fact!) . Thanks for your help girls, it good to know that I am not in the wrong.

I will keep on practising xx

You've done everything right, but unfortunately in our line of work we do come across people like this and she won't be the last. People can be funny, just take it with a pinch of salt and continue with your practicing :)

Dont let it get you down hun, unfortunately you will get chancer's in this industry, she was well aware that you are offering them cheep for a reason and that you are training so there not going to be quite the standard as a £30 set until you get your practice up.

You need clients at this stage that are going to work with you, will give you honest feedback and stay with you on your journey. Asking for refunds is taking the mick, you don't need clients like these but you may have to deal with a few more like this yet if your working on the general public, stick to your guns and dont worry about threats of trading standards. Make sure you get them to sign a disclaimer stating that the nails aren't guaranteed after treatment due to you being in a training period, but any feedback is welcome.

Trading standards won't do anything hun don't worry. It's not worth their time for £10. I reported someone for £100 and they just gave me advice x

Just to update you. The client didn't even turn up for removal! No phone call, nothing. Shame as I really would have liked to have seen her 'awful' nails.

I read your original post & felt for you so much. I'm newly qualified too.

Sounds like you had a whole bunch of stress.. For nothing!! Keep going!!
Xx

Just to update you. The client didn't even turn up for removal! No phone call, nothing. Shame as I really would have liked to have seen her 'awful' nails.

Nah, she'd have been a chancer who thought she'd try you for a free set. After all, you're a newly qualified tech who'd be easy to bend.

Good on you for sticking to your guns :)

Ive had this too, ive not been qualified long ive had some ladies have their shellac on for weeks amd just removed it because of regrowth, i had one lady with really dry hands from using cleaning products, i explained that she needed to wear gloves or the shellac would not last, she got less than a week out of them. She said they're all chipping. I just said its the chemicals. i used the CND client card which says that they are responsible for the nails care and give out aftercare to avoid come back. If she was happy when she left thats it! Good for you. x

Latest posts

Back