Client wants compensation for hair

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snmlondonhair

Reaction score
Hi geeks!

I need some advise -first time in hairdressing career this has happened!
I have a salon of self employed stylists, one of them did a balayage on a client Wednesday who seemed happy when she left the salon and my self employed stylist did not see or face any problems with the clients colour.
I received a very long email today, stating she was very unhappy with the colour as it was warmer than she wanted, and sections were taken too big. She has gone to another salon to have her hair "rectified" and she wants a full refund from us, otherwise she will claim compensation and cause problems on our social media.
This is a tough one, as we always get any complaints to come back in so we can access the hair and rectify what they are unhappy with. But we won't have that opportunity with this particular client as another salon has rectified it.

Any advice??

Hi geeks!

I need some advise -first time in hairdressing career this has happened!
I have a salon of self employed stylists, one of them did a balayage on a client Wednesday who seemed happy when she left the salon and my self employed stylist did not see or face any problems with the clients colour.
I received a very long email today, stating she was very unhappy with the colour as it was warmer than she wanted, and sections were taken too big. She has gone to another salon to have her hair "rectified" and she wants a full refund from us, otherwise she will claim compensation and cause problems on our social media.
This is a tough one, as we always get any complaints to come back in so we can access the hair and rectify what they are unhappy with. But we won't have that opportunity with this particular client as another salon has rectified it.

Any advice??
I would definitely not offer a refund. Her fist step should have been to make contact with you to let you know she wasn't happy, and then, you would have probably asked her tome come in so you could look at it and hopefully come to a mutual agreement as to whether it needs fixing or not. Then you would have fixed it. If she then wasn't happy then I would agree to offer a partial refund. How does she get to decide that the sections where taken too big?
Did she have a picture of what she wanted?
As for the social media threat! One bad review won't have that much of an impact on your reputation!

No way!!

You should have a policy that they should come back in, basically just say as she didn’t give you the opportunity to look at the hair and as someone else has now coloured it then there isn’t anything to can do further then goodbye

I believe with any complaint we have to honest with ourselves and think if there was anything we could have improved on.

However I don't think it would be right to refund. And it's really tacky of the client to treaten slating you on social media...

"Dear Mrs Xxx,

I'm sorry to hear that you were dissapointed with your colour at XXX salon. Our customer satisfaction is extremly important to us, therefore we ask that if there is anything that you wish to change about your colour, let us know as soon as possible so that we have the opportunity rectify it for you.

As you have mentioned that you have already re-coloured your hair since visiting us, unfortunally I cannot assist your further in this instance. Kind Regards, kiss my ass LOL Salon Manager X"

and she wants a full refund from us, otherwise she will claim compensation and cause problems on our social media.

There is no possibility of ‘claiming compensation’ and to threaten to cause problems for you is quite despicable behaviour.
Stand your ground and tell her you will notify all the other salon businesses in the area about her threats to blackmail you so that no-one will be prepared to accept her as a client.

This post reminded me of how awesome your acount is so reposted you on insta ;)

Thanks so much for your help guys -we thought not refunding would be the right option, in our opinion nothing was wrong with her colour when she left the salon, and she left happy as far as we knew.
I absolutely hate clients being unsatisfied with their hair, and it's upsetting when they don't come back and explain the problem -we can't solve something we know nothing about [emoji30]
I'll keep the post updated xx

This post reminded me of how awesome your acount is so reposted you on insta ;)

Omg your the cutest [emoji30][emoji30][emoji30] what a "pick me up" after a bad day!! Love love loveeee [emoji173]️

Omg your the cutest [emoji30][emoji30][emoji30] what a "pick me up" after a bad day!! Love love loveeee [emoji173]️

You're welcome! Think of all the happy clients and smile! After all this one will be a distant memory soon xx

I believe with any complaint we have to honest with ourselves and think if there was anything we could have improved on.

However I don't think it would be right to refund. And it's really tacky of the client to treaten slating you on social media...

"Dear Mrs Xxx,

I'm sorry to hear that you were dissapointed with your colour at XXX salon. Our customer satisfaction is extremly important to us, therefore we ask that if there is anything that you wish to change about your colour, let us know as soon as possible so that we have the opportunity rectify it for you.

As you have mentioned that you have already re-coloured your hair since visiting us, unfortunally I cannot assist your further in this instance. Kind Regards, kiss my ass LOL Salon Manager X"

Yes perfect! Should I include the stylists insurance details within the email?

Personally I would bring the conversation offline and if the client still has an issue go from there (unlikely).

For example say "if you would like to discuss this further please contact me on 0208xxxxxxx"

Remain professional but don't back down on this. I would avoid sending insurance/ legal details until the last resort.

Yes perfect! Should I include the stylists insurance details within the email?

The client has no rights to the stylists insurance details as the insurance is for the benefit of the stylist. Insurance companies don’t really get involved with disputes, that’s why they pay lawyers once the client instigates legal action.
I think you need to back away from this now as the contract is between the client and the stylist as an independent business owner. The stylist should be the one responding to the client. Obviously, you can help advise the stylist.
Remember, you’re the landlady in this business relationship so try not to blur the line otherwise you risk HMRC taking this as evidence that you’re really her employer.

Latest posts

Back