Client wants grey hair but has yellow hair

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

charlottehair

Extension Queen
Reaction score
Hi guys I've been doing colour since I was 17 and have a excellent knowledge but theres one thing that a lot of clients want and thats grey hair when they have a yellow 8/9 base to start with.

My client wants to go dark grey, but from previous experience grey on yellow hair just makes it go, blue/green.

She doesn't want to bleach her hair again. It is very porous so I wouldn't anyway.

Any advice?

If it’s very porous, you’re looking at Demi’s, semis and direct dyes.
If you go the direct dye route, it’s more likely to stain in parts if the cuticle layer is badly damaged.
She can go a darker smokey grey but you need to neutralise the yellow with purple (or orange with blue) to a clean base then apply your grey colour. If you miss out this step, you will get a green hue.
More or less every colour house offers a grey range so it depends on which brands you prefer to use.

If it’s very porous, you’re looking at Demi’s, semis and direct dyes.
If you go the direct dye route, it’s more likely to stain in parts if the cuticle layer is badly damaged.
She can go a darker smokey grey but you need to neutralise the yellow with purple (or orange with blue) to a clean base then apply your grey colour. If you miss out this step, you will get a green hue.
More or less every colour house offers a grey range so it depends on which brands you prefer to use.
Thank you for your help, I will take this step prior.

I will do a grey on a level 9 at a push if it even best a level 10- it depends what line your using - level 8 I wouldn’t as it could look muddy

I will do a grey on a level 9 at a push if it even best a level 10- it depends what line your using - level 8 I wouldn’t as it could look muddy
What grey would you use? Colour range etc.

Hi guys I've been doing colour since I was 17 and have a excellent knowledge but theres one thing that a lot of clients want and thats grey hair when they have a yellow 8/9 base to start with.

My client wants to go dark grey, but from previous experience grey on yellow hair just makes it go, blue/green.

She doesn't want to bleach her hair again. It is very porous so I wouldn't anyway.

Any advice?
Sounds to me like you need to eradicate yellow, I absolutely love the Kenra VP rapid toner, perfect before applying your grey tones and it's not time consuming.

Latest posts

Back