Client wants my job!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

notsonewgeek

Lisa x
Reaction score
Hiya guys

I did a spray tan for my friends aunt on thursday eve and I've had a call today saying she wants to do tanning herself!:eek:

On one hand I feel flattered she's so happy with her tan and that I made it look easy, but on the other I don't want her encroaching on my business.

I thought I might point her in the direction of STF so she can do her own research etc (like I had to). Also wondered however whether she should have any other qualifications before practising this. I'm fully qualified in Beauty, Nails and Tanning - itsjust a part of what I do.

Am I just being tight?

Hiya guys

I did a spray tan for my friends aunt on thursday eve and I've had a call today saying she wants to do tanning herself!:eek:

On one hand I feel flattered she's so happy with her tan and that I made it look easy, but on the other I don't want her encroaching on my business.

I thought I might point her in the direction of STF so she can do her own research etc (like I had to). Also wondered however whether she should have any other qualifications before practising this. I'm fully qualified in Beauty, Nails and Tanning - itsjust a part of what I do.

Am I just being tight?

No, this has happened to me too, and I've only been doing it 10 days.
In reality the cost, insurance etc will probably put them off

I had a client pumping me for information on courses cos she wanted to do it because it looked "easy".

I dont know if any of your remember a thread i did yonks ago about a woman who peeled all her nails off and re glued em on cos she didnt like the fact that she could see the regrowth area. Well that was the one that was asking for info on nail courses.

I threw a few figures at her and companies that provide training, start up costs, insurance etc etc and I never saw her again.

I have honestly glad I dont have her as a client lol, she was a nightmare.

I think you'll find that she will lose interest if she only wants to do it because it looks easy, she will soon find out that this is not the case and it takes a long time to make it look easy.

I really wouldn't worry about it IMO

Rachel

one of my clients said to me she thought about doing nails so i told her about training costs, products, etc... she was so shocked , i think she thought you must pay £20 and they give you a certificate :lol: in reality you have to be pretty dedicated to it dont ya ? i know i have spent thousands on training, and products and havent made anything near it back yet :lol: but i love my job and i know i will eventually make it all back plus a bit more :green: it just takes time to build up etc...

Like all the others have said once she's found out about the cost and everything else involved I'm sure she'll soon forget the idea!

i too have had clients that have had who have decided they wanted to train, about 5 to be precise

not one of them has qualified

they have all said they are more than happy to just be a client as treatments are not as easy as they look

Hi!
Ditto what the others have all said. Don't half make you cross though,eh?

I had a client that this to me with nails not tanning, she used to come to me every 2 weeks without fail for nails doing then one day just told me that she wouldnt be coming to me anymore as she as been watching everything that i did and making notes when she got home and as decided to buy a kit from boots and do her own.

I was totally gobsmacked that she would even consider trying to do her own after she knows how much training and course's I have gone through!!:(

well I do see this lady from time to time and ever time I see her she always makes a comment on how well her nails look and how good she is getting!

Sorry it has not helped with your problem but it just got me thinking about what she did.

:hug:

As has been said give her the details on how much these things cost - minimist, tent, solution, record cards, training, insurance, , I am sure it will put her off.

You are obviously doing a great job if you are making it look so easy.

If anyone says that to me, I just tell them about the length and cost of the beauty therapy, massage and aromatherapy course I did, plus the amount of theory we had to learn - two big A4 ringbinders full of stuff. Plus the three hour practical exams we did (I know most of the courses are assessment now but mine was ten years ago). Plus the ongoing training at personal expense to keep up with the industry....They soon go off the idea pretty quick!

Hiya guys

Am I just being tight?

I don't think you're being tight, after all, she was your customer but the lady will perhaps realise that it's not something to be taken lightly and you do need training... plus plenty of practise.

Was it her own tan or other people's she is considering doing?

Just ask her if she will be starting to cut her own hair too, soon, as hairdressers make that look easy (And we know its not!)

Thanks guys for all you advice and encouragement. :hug:

I'd love to see her after doing her own tan and cutting her own hair!! :eek:

This is a difficult one because I came into this industry because I enjoyed having the treatments and nails done so much by my previous therapist that it motivated me that this would be a great industry to be in.

Bet I'm not the only one in this instustry from the same inspiration either!

I didnt think it was going to be easy but I did find it alot more complex than I thought - didnt stop me wanting to do it though!

I'm with you Theresa. I was inspired to become a Nail Technician from having treatments with my nail technician who was a dear friend, and although I knew it wasn't easy, I found the whole process amazing, and wanted to learn more about it.

It depends really on the reasons behind wanting to do the job. If they want to do it because they think it looks easy, there is not point for them attempting to do it. They'll soon give up when they realise it's not.

If the person wants to do it because of a general interest in the processes, and the nail industry as a whole, then they'll probably succeed with or without your help.

Heather
xxxx

Its a really difficult one. It happened to a friend of mine too. A client of her's decided she wanted to become a nail technician after having her nails done.

The problem was that she was suddenly being asked to help her with product application and assessing her. My friend just didn't feel that she was qualified enough to essentially being doing the job of an educator. She felt that her procedures were being watched for ideas etc, and it just made her feel really uncomfortable.

Can't say any of my clients have decided to go into nails, although a few of them ask about my spray tanning equipment, and if they can go and buy it.

I don't put them off, particularly, although I don't really want to encourage them, especially if they are going to be working the same area as me!! :lol:

This is a difficult one because I came into this industry because I enjoyed having the treatments and nails done so much by my previous therapist that it motivated me that this would be a great industry to be in.

Bet I'm not the only one in this instustry from the same inspiration either!

I didnt think it was going to be easy but I did find it alot more complex than I thought - didnt stop me wanting to do it though!

I couldn't agree more Theresa, and I too entered the general industry after developing a passion for it throught having treatments done myself, getting involved initially and very successfully with Virgin Vie and then moving on to more skilled nails and other treatments.

However never once did I decide to take it up because it looked easy! I took it up because I wanted to learn a skill, a profession, and become the best I can at that.

OK, to be fair, with tanning there isn't as much to learn as, say nail enhancements, but to become really good at it and know what works best everytime a client walks through the door, I feel I have had a lot to learn, about what ingredients are in the various solutions, about what equipment and spray pattern will work best on what client shape, and how to not just darken their skin, but to give them a tan that complements their natural colouring and a contoured/ highlighted shape that will mean they never look at another tanning therapist again.

Basically you can just pick up a spray gun and point it at someone if you want, and yes they should go darker, but you'll not build as full and successful business that way with no other knowledge or treatments, as if you taken it seriously!

None of us tanning geeks were put off by the cost of training and equipment and insurance were we. So, why do you think they would be? It does look easy. It isn't when you start, but to be honest, it doesn't take long to get the hang of either. As long as you read up, keep up with the industry and find out as much as you can about your products etc.
My friend, has just gone out and bought a spray tan machine so she can spray her clients. What can I say? Nothing! She WAS also my BEST client! Now, she pops in with her machine and asks me to spray her - for FREE!! (its her machine and her product). The machine is pants and the solution imo is also pants! But, there is nothing I can do or will do.
Like with our nails, beauty and everything else you do the competition is always out there - just concentrate on yourself and being the best and sod the rest! tbh

Latest posts

Back