Client with 9 fingers do I discount?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've pondered this question a few times myself as I have a client with 9 1/2 (no distal and middle xpennyx) fingers and another with 8 (congenital abnormaily), I always charge full price.....the main reason being is that neither has mentioned a discount and I feel that to offer one wouldn't be professional and could be seen as an insult or degrading to the client. JMO.

Believe it or not I have 3 clients with 9 fingers! (thankfully all loyal and regular :))

I go by the client - obviously I am in no position to turn business away or risk peeing anyone off to the extent that they would not come back, so therefore I would give a discount if I thought that is what the client expected.

Two of my ladies are very shy about their hands and actually remove them from the table when Im working on the other. They dont like any attention drawn to them / the missing fingers, and I dont know how either happened. These clients I charge full price, and they are happy with that :green: I wouldnt like to possibly humiliate these clients by offering a discount, if you get my drift.

My other lady is really open and her missing finger doesnt bother her in the slightest, she is always out for a bargain, and has been coming to me for many moths, asked right at the start about only paying for 9 fingers, and I agreed:green:

What if you get someone with 11 fingers? Wonder what would happen then......
Just kidding, don't mean to extend this question in another direction.
Marion x
This is exactly what i was thinking,
if some one came in with 11 fingers you wouldn't charge extra so why charge less for 9, no sorry but the same price for every one, unless like has already been stated, client has only one hand then yes 50% off

Now how did I miss this thread ?

I would charge her less .... she has less and is getting less.

If I was buying 9 apples, I wouldn't like to be charged for 10. Really, there is no need for analogies, it's quite simple, she only has 9 fingernails.

Try making the money up elsewhere with her, or take advantage of the extra minutes you have spare.

In fact, if you actually offered her a discount, she may even tip you the difference (or maybe she won't) .... it's the fact you have offered that she will (or should) appreciate.

I suppose it depends on how stingy you are. :lol:

Now how did I miss this thread ?

I would charge her less .... she has less and is getting less.

If I was buying 9 apples, I wouldn't like to be charged for 10. Really, there is no need for analogies, it's quite simple, she only has 9 fingernails.

Try making the money up elsewhere with her, or take advantage of the extra minutes you have spare.

In fact, if you actually offered her a discount, she may even tip you the difference (or maybe she won't) .... it's the fact you have offered that she will (or should) appreciate.

I suppose it depends on how stingy you are. :lol:

I don't agree with you, Carl and I'm not stingy either!!

If you give a 10% discount because a person has only 9 fingernails, then that is worth far more than what you are actually spending both in time and products for doing (or not doing) that one extra nail.

You and I both know, that the time difference is going to be minimal between doing 9 and 10 nails. The client is taking up the full amount of allocated appointment time so she should pay for that.

I don't agree with you, Carl and I'm not stingy either!!

If you give a 10% discount because a person has only 9 fingernails, then that is worth far more than what you are actually spending both in time and products for doing (or not doing) that one extra nail.

You and I both know, that the time difference is going to be minimal between doing 9 and 10 nails. The client is taking up the full amount of allocated appointment time so she should pay for that.

Differences in opinion are what makes the world go round.

With all due respect........ It wouldn't take me the same amount of time, it would take me 90% of the time, then I would fit in a repair, a pee, half a sandwich, or a fag, whichever I felt was more important at the time.

I'm not too sure we should be actively encouraging 'five finger discounts' on this site........ it's illegal :lol:

Differences in opinion are what makes the world go round.

With all due respect........ It wouldn't take me the same amount of time, it would take me 90% of the time, then I would fit in a repair, a pee, half a sandwich, or a fag, whichever I felt was more important at the time.

You don't get paid for a pee, a sandwich or a fag!! :) And repairs don't always walk in when you want them. I reckon a client in reality would take up the whole appointment. Yes we agree to disagree :hug:

I book my clients accordingly, often back to back, A client with 9 nails is 90% of a client (and relevant to product & time). Understandably this may seem minute, but if 9 nails is a small discount, then 8 nails should be equally as trivial, then if 8 nails means nothing, then 7 should be the same, where is the line drawn? What if someone came in with only 6 nails/fingers ? ...... silly landmines while pulling carrots ...... should they be charged full price? where is the line drawn?

Lets put this shoe on the other foot and make a comparison with discounts on products that apply to us as the consumer/buyer, i sure would appreciate a 10%, discount (which is the equivalent of a client with 9 nails) AND IF IT MEANS NOTHING ......why shouldn't I just expect that discount (and if that discount is apparently so trivial) gimme 20% etc .... until you can charge me full price for only 5 nails, or give me a 50% discount (after all, it's only 50%)

How can anyone charge for 10, when you have only given me 9? .... it doesn't make sense

ok so who would charge extra if someone had 11....:lol:..

OK so who would charge extra if someone had 11....:lol:..

gaaaawdd, thats simple .....YES, now let others answer, or do they give 11, 12, 13 at the same price ?

Bagpuss, interesting point when it's at the other end of the scale...... Again, it must be that invisible cut off point. To those that don't give a discount for 9 nails only, surely they cannot charge more for having just an extra digit. And an arguable (apparently) percentage.

well my charges are simple...its £45 per set....now how many in a set are left to my descretion...:lol:...no rule that says a set must be 10

How interesting is all this!!!! V Funny debate!

I have to say That I see both sides of the argument. I wouldn't want to offend anyone by offering them a discount...I think you have to look at each case seperately.

I also didn't realise there were so many 9 fingered people!!!!

I have one with two didgets missing and do discount, it was a way to break the ice, I said I guess she deserved it. She was one of my first and is still with me, mind you I only started in April.
Maggie

Hi This may sound ridiculous but I have a client who hasen`t been to me all sumer (short of cash) and has just booked in her appointments from beggining December through to New Year.
The dilema I have is she has 9 fingers due to an accident. I have always charged her the normal price of a full set unless she was having nail art which she does but not very often, she would make comments about a discount which I only gave when she had nail art I would do basic art free.
I know that this is going to start up again and it makes me feel uncomfortable how do you guy`s & gal`s suggest I deal with this. I dont want to set a price for her and then have her expect me to do free nail art in with the price.

Latest posts

Back