Client with 9 fingers do I discount?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glitz

Reaction score
Hi This may sound ridiculous but I have a client who hasen`t been to me all sumer (short of cash) and has just booked in her appointments from beggining December through to New Year.
The dilema I have is she has 9 fingers due to an accident. I have always charged her the normal price of a full set unless she was having nail art which she does but not very often, she would make comments about a discount which I only gave when she had nail art I would do basic art free.
I know that this is going to start up again and it makes me feel uncomfortable how do you guy`s & gal`s suggest I deal with this. I dont want to set a price for her and then have her expect me to do free nail art in with the price.

Its entirely up to you....is she a good client...? loyal...etc...if so then for the sake of a few quid it wouldn't harm....but by no means do you HAVE to. x

I have an occasional client with 9 fingers....and to be honest I only charge her 9/10ths of the price!

It only takes me 9/10ths of the time, I use 9/10ths of the product so i charge accordingly. She started out as a friend so it was a bit easier to know how to deal with it, and to be honest 9/10ths of the time...she tips me the rest! But I ask myself where do you draw the line?

If you had a client with only one arm...would you charge full price or half price??

Hi This may sound ridiculous but I have a client who hasen`t been to me all sumer (short of cash) and has just booked in her appointments from beggining December through to New Year.
The dilema I have is she has 9 fingers due to an accident. I have always charged her the normal price of a full set unless she was having nail art which she does but not very often, she would make comments about a discount which I only gave when she had nail art I would do basic art free.
I know that this is going to start up again and it makes me feel uncomfortable how do you guy`s & gal`s suggest I deal with this. I dont want to set a price for her and then have her expect me to do free nail art in with the price.

Are you finding that it takes you less time to do the service than your other clients? if so then charge in relation to the time it takes, if it takes more or less the same time then charge the same, and at least you can justify to the client why you charge her the same as you other clients.

when one of my clients came in with a broken arm in a full cast (over the shoulder) she got a 50% discount!
i could only do one hand for more than 2 1/2 months.
i would give her a choice. 9/10 the price - no nail art. full price with nail art.
if you have a good joking relationship with her and she doesn't like either deal, tell her you will have to do the service to one toe nail to make up 10!
good luck!
if she's a good client, she'll have no problem choosing.

kathleen
My Nails Rock!

Thanks for your reply, I would say when she can afford it she is a regular client but does have longer periods when she can`t.
I have just had a thought probably the best way around this is to cost per nail (equates to £3 basic set) deduct that from her price and let her know that this is what I will charge her, with the nail art if she has it just charge per finger. Do you think that is reasonable?

You know when you can`t see "The wood for the trees".

How many freebies does she want?

If she's getting free art, she has no room to complain.
Yes, it's 9/10th's the product and all that.
But does it really take less time??? I somehow doubt that one finger makes all that much difference.

As said, give her a choice - full price with free/discounted nail art OR 9/10ths' with no free/discounted nail art.

I think it's more than fair.

PS: if the timing is the same, I would leave as is. They also pay for your time and not just the product.

I would charge her the same as you don't want to make her feel like she's being treated differently in a negative way.

Besides, where does it all end? Do we weigh them before we do waxing to determine if we use more wax? Nah, just carry on as normal.

Thanks you all for your advice and comments they all make perfect sense, and the time is neither here nor there really, takes about the same time give or take a couple of min`s.
I think I will do a combination of the two 9/10ths & nail art and agree this with her from the start. :hug:

I would charge her the same as you don't want to make her feel like she's being treated differently in a negative way.

Besides, where does it all end? Do we weigh them before we do waxing to determine if we use more wax? Nah, just carry on as normal.

I was going to say in a simliar way, does a hairdresser charge less if you have fine hair, or more if you have thick hair? It's up to you if you want to adjust your pricing and not down to the client. I always joke when I have a pedicure that I should get a discount because I have such small feet, but it is a joke and I would never dream of not paying the full price!

You both have a point. We have to draw the line somewhere. I think I will wait until her appointment and see if she passes comment. If she does I will give her the 9/10 th price, charge her nail art per nail and that should please her.

Just a final thought Glitz. A good rule of thumb (if you pardon the pun) is to let the client ask for the discount rather than offer it. Most clients don't but you'll get the odd client who will always be thinking of what to ask next by way of getting a discount. That's why I wouldn't put a time on a price list either as if you're pushed and manage to do say a good pedi in 30 instead of 40, they'll feel cheated. HTH's

I would not give a discount, I would give them an extra massage. It is a good point not to take money off but give them an extra throughout the treatment. If a client does not want their nails polished give them a hand massage for the same time it will take you to polish their nails.

I have a couple of clients that do not have a toe and come in for permanent french on toes, they do not ask for discount.

although i had somebody during waxing treatment - they asked if i will charge them half because they are size 6, it made me feel so angry - like i would have to pay 3 times the price because i am size 18. :eek:

x

although i had somebody during waxing treatment - they asked if i will charge them half because they are size 6

PMSL! This client is too cheeky for words!!!:lol:

Hi,

I have a client with only 9 fingers. In the beginning I charged her for nine fingers, but the last 4 years, I have charged her full price. After all, I "give her" the same time in my book, as 10 fingers.. :)

I had a client who broke her arm and I could only do 5 fingers for 2,5 months. I charged her for 5 fingers, but she insisted to be charged full price!!!

C.

Didn't know there were so many 9 fingered folks about but I too had a client one time with ... 9 fingers.

Of course I charged the same price as usual. She actually asked for a discount and I said sorry but no. The time difference was minimal between doing 9 and 10 and I charge by time not amount of products used. Honestly!! If you knocked off the amount of product used it would be pennies ... these people have no idea!!

The fine hair thick hair is a good analogy to use. Get it all out of the way before you start with her and then there is no awkwardness.

For one finger then I would not give a discount.

I have a client that comes once a week for a file and polish and she has 6 nails painted as her left hand won't open as she has had a stroke and I just charge her half price.

Thanks to everyone who took the time to comment and advise me on this subject your opinions really count. :hug:

What if you get someone with 11 fingers? Wonder what would happen then......
Just kidding, don't mean to extend this question in another direction.
Marion x

I would charge the same as a full set for a client with 9 fingers........

I have however given a 50% discount to a guy I did once who did have only 1 arm......
he had a manicure and it took half the time to do him......
he did give me a really good tip .....so it equaled out to be the regular price of the manicure ......so no loss of income......

so in other words...no discount for 9 fingers.......discount for 5 fingers.....:rolleyes:

hope I made sense.....:rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back