Client with breast cancer and severe onycholysis

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robyn Potter

Reaction score
can anyone recommend how to assist and if the cancer or medication is related to the nail condition? She is not doing chemotherapy but is taking hormone medication.

To be honest I wouldn't be working on nails where there is severe onycholysis, even without adding breast cancer to the equation. I would advise plenty of cuticle oil and perhaps a regular polish. But no gels/acrylics at all.

Nails are a window to our health and many health conditions can affect them. It likely is the condition/medication that is affecting them and I do have a client whose nails are affected by her cancer meds (she doesn't have cancer); however, one can't say for certain that it 100% is.

can anyone recommend how to assist and if the cancer or medication is related to the nail condition? She is not doing chemotherapy but is taking hormone medication.

I would contemplate normal polish, just to make them look better for a special occasion or if her self esteem is taking a battering at the moment, but certainly not any form of overlay or enhancement. As @linzi says loads of cuticle oil to assist with the growth and keep the skin supple. Super gentle cuticle work letting a cuticle product do most of the work, and support the nail when filing the free edge.

It's so difficult for patients and techs, we have a duty to protect them from further harm, but all know that a good pamper session and a set of pretty nails can make all the difference to how someone feels day to day.

Latest posts

Back