Client with damaged nails after Shellac was put over gel

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lorrainiac

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have a new client who is having IBX and Shellac because her nails are damaged. Chatting to her about what had caused the damage, she hasn't had extensions so I was confused as to what had caused it.
Now she tells me she had gel nails (not extensions and im not sure of the brand) but that after that she has been seeing a lady for Shellac, who apparently Shellac'd over the top of the gel?! Not quite sure how this would even be possible, she then went on to say the nail lady tried to remove them but couldn't get it off. She is under the impression that the gel has grown out but if that's the case I cant figure out how her nails have got damaged?
Do you think the other nail tech damaged her natural nails when she tried to get it off and possibly even filed an extra bit off each time she had shellac and infact her nails haven't grown the gel out? That's all I can think has happened as Shellac on its own just doesn't cause damage. x

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi All,

I have a new client who is having IBX and Shellac because her nails are damaged. Chatting to her about what had caused the damage, she hasn't had extensions so I was confused as to what had caused it.
Now she tells me she had gel nails (not extensions and im not sure of the brand) but that after that she has been seeing a lady for Shellac, who apparently Shellac'd over the top of the gel?! Not quite sure how this would even be possible, she then went on to say the nail lady tried to remove them but couldn't get it off. She is under the impression that the gel has grown out but if that's the case I cant figure out how her nails have got damaged?
Do you think the other nail tech damaged her natural nails when she tried to get it off and possibly even filed an extra bit off each time she had shellac and infact her nails haven't grown the gel out? That's all I can think has happened as Shellac on its own just doesn't cause damage. x

I have several thoughts on this.

Perhaps it was a hard gel overlay that she had over her natural nails, it is then absolutely possible that she had Shellac over the top, however this kind of gel would probably need to be buffed off rather than wrapped as you would with Shellac.
If it hasn't been removed professionally, properly and carefully, it is possible that the removal has caused damage. Without finding out what the products used actually were and exactly how they were removed you can't know this for sure.

It is also possible that the damage was done by incorrect/over zealous prep before any gel of any kind was applied.

It is possible that her nails were weak to begin with which could be why a gel overlay was perhaps applied before the Shellac.

It is possible she hasn't been given/followed aftercare advice which won't have helped. If she has picked/bitten at them/pulled them off, it is likely your client will have caused further damage.

I the previous nail tech was using CND Shellac there would be no need to buff the nails before any application, either it wasn't CND or it was not being applied as instructed. No buffing the natural nail is one of my (and my clients') favourite things about CND Shellac!

If it was a hard gel overlay you would be able to see if it was still on her nails or not. If it hasn't grown out/been removed you would be able to see it and if it's still there IBX will not be doing any good as it won't get through to the nail.
If it has all grown out, there shouldn't be any damaged left that was caused by prep or removal as the damaged nail would also have grown out with it, unless of course further damage has been caused.

Unfortunately if the nail plate has been thinned dramatically by over zealous buffing there isn't a great deal you can do to put it right until it grows out. IBX will help to strengthen them and applying Solar Oil very regularly will help the new nail to grow healthily. I've also heard good things about CND RescueRXX but haven't used it with my clients so have no experience of it. Other than that, treat the nails carefully and kindly, give your client excellent aftercare advice to follow and wait for the healthy nail to grow!

Last edited by a moderator:
Great post from emily2, saved me a lot of typing as I was thinking lots of those things as I read the first post :)

I have several thoughts on this.

Perhaps it was a hard gel overlay that she had over her natural nails, it is then absolutely possible that she had Shellac over the top, however this kind of gel would probably need to be buffed off rather than wrapped as you would with Shellac.
If it hasn't been removed professionally, properly and carefully, it is possible that the removal has caused damage. Without finding out what the products used actually were and exactly how they were removed you can't know this for sure.

It is also possible that the damage was done by incorrect/over zealous prep before any gel of any kind was applied.

It is possible that her nails were weak to begin with which could be why a gel overlay was perhaps applied before the Shellac.

It is possible she hasn't been given/followed aftercare advice which won't have helped. If she has picked/bitten at them/pulled them off, it is likely your client will have caused further damage.

I the previous nail tech was using CND Shellac there would be no need to buff the nails before any application, either it wasn't CND or it was not being applied as instructed. No buffing the natural nail is one of my (and my clients') favourite things about CND Shellac!

If it was a hard gel overlay you would be able to see if it was still on her nails or not. If it hasn't grown out/been removed you would be able to see it and if it's still there IBX will not be doing any good as it won't get through to the nail.
If it has all grown out, there shouldn't be any damaged left that was caused by prep or removal as the damaged nail would also have grown out with it, unless of course further damage has been caused.

Unfortunately if the nail plate has been thinned dramatically by over zealous buffing there isn't a great deal you can do to put it right until it grows out. IBX will help to strengthen them and applying Solar Oil very regularly will help the new nail to grow healthily. I've also heard good things about CND RescueRXX but haven't used it with my clients so have no experience of it. Other than that, treat the nails carefully and kindly, give your client excellent aftercare advice to follow and wait for the healthy nail to grow!

Thanks for your reply, there is nothing left on the nail plate (gel wise) but there is still damage so I can only assume the damage was caused by the previous nail tech who struggled to remove it and actually it hasn't just grown out as my client thought. The nails are thin so I can only guess they have been filed down at some point, so we are doing IBX and Shellac to try and add strength so we can grown out the damage.

Latest posts

Back