Client with filthy hair?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tesswarwick

Reaction score
We do a lot of walk in gents and I've had one in this morning who I tried to put off. Unfortunately, he wasn't having any of it.

He has long, shoulder-length hair and it's filthy.
I told him that I couldn't fit him in today or in the morning because of booked appointments but, sadly, he didn't take the hint and made an appointment for tomorrow lunchtime.
It astonishes me that some clients don't give a monkeys and expect you to handle their grotty, smelly, greasy hair.

My question to Geeks is do you take a client on regardless of their personal hygiene or do you refuse ... and if so, how? Or am I being unreasonable?

Thanks,
Tess

I know this might sound weird.....but I get great job satisfaction out of the ‘minger’:p
That being said.....an ‘infestation’ would be politely shown the door!
I like the total transformation from ragged to groomed...:cool:

What I would add however.... be sure you charge for any extra time taken to get through it ;)

He’s unlikely to work out that you not fitting him in immediately is because his hair is manky unless you tell him clearly.
I don’t think there’s anything wrong with saying to him that he must have clean hair before you carry out your service.
When he turns up, tell him you’ll have to shampoo it first and there’s a charge for this or defer the appt. to a later date and he must wash it thoroughly at home beforehand.

To be honest, I took it for granted you were pre washing......
I never not wash, even hair that is clean has to have ‘The Works’

I know this might sound weird.....but I get great job satisfaction out of the ‘minger’:p
That being said.....an ‘infestation’ would be politely shown the door!
I like the total transformation from ragged to groomed...:cool:

He's not the sort who would go for a shampoo or a groomed look. He's probably going to ask for an inch to be taken off and that'll be that. Sadly ...

To be honest, I took it for granted you were pre washing......
I never not wash, even hair that is clean has to have ‘The Works’

Most blokes in for barbering just want to 'cut and run'. It's not usually a problem, just occasionally like this one.

Can’t you just tell him to wash his hair before the appointment so that you don’t have to do it? Say everyone has to wash their hair beforehand so that you can cut it well

Oh ..... I get your dilemma......:eek:
I’d be straight with him.....
“I will have to wash your hair first.....it will cost £.... extra.”
If he asks why..... just say
“ I won’t get a comb through it.... I’m sorry but it’s greasy and needs shampooing.

If you don't want this type of client then you need to look a bit more elite.

For example don't do dry cuts on men, do wash cuts and style, and charge more for it. This will put him off for sure, and if not at least you washed him and got a bit more money [emoji23]

Latest posts

Back