Client with itchy, flaky scalp after colouring

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vanilla_hair_

Reaction score
Hi all,
just wondering if anyone could help. I have a client who after every colour has a very dry and itchy flaky scalp and I mean large flakes. Does anyone know of any product I can add to the colour/scalp either before or after? The client isn't going to want to stop colouring her hair.

Recommendations of products and places to purchase would be really appreciated :)

Thanks

It sounds like she may be having a mild reaction to the colour, if you continue to do the colour one day it could get worse x

Most probably it's caused by the tint to peroxide ratio, from memory too much peroxide causes flakiness on scalp

Sounds like an allergic reaction to me. Did you do a skin test? X

Greatlengths xx

Was this after the skin test? If yes, has she had any exposure to any chemicals, new products or medication?

If she hasn't had a skin test, I think you have your answer.

Hi VanillaHair

I have psoriasis. My last flare-up has lasted years, so Ive tried a lot of solutions!!!!!!!!

I colour my hair and after using the colour-lock conditioner I use Emulsyfying ointment. I buy it online, its about £3 for a huge tub. Then I use Capasal therapeutic shampoo, again I buy this online, its about £7 a bottle.

The Emul. ointment, when mixed with water washes away, but it leaves a moisturising barrier to the skin, nothing that is greasy, but enough to prevent the scalp from flaking. Then the Capasal shampoo removes any loose flakes. I apply both with exfoliating gloves, but my condition is extreme.

I would bet that the emulsifying ointment would do the trick.

Like you said, if the client isn't going to want to stop colouring her hair, then I don't blame you wanting to find a solution!

Kathair x

Assuming your client had a negative skin test, you could try using other brands of tint.

Also, I presume you use the same brand tint & peroxide? Using a generic brand of peroxide can lead to unpleasant reactions.

Also, do you know what other hair/scalp products your client uses?

Latest posts

Back