Client with onycholysis appearing

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Puffle

Reaction score
I have a client who has been coming to me for the last year...and generally alternates between L&P and gel polish. Prior to this she'd had 'acrylics' on from a local NSS salon for a few years, so her nails weren't in a great condition.

I noticed last time I saw her that one of her little fingers has what looks like the start of onycholysis, from the free edge upwards. I am aware that she's a picker and always bites her acrylic or gel polish off and also doesn't look after her nails (never wears gloves etc) no matter how much I tell her!

Now, am I right in thinking she should lay off L&P for a while? She won't be keen as she hates having short and / or natural nails.

i had the same issue with a lady the other day luckily she wasnt having enahcements but shes a picker too!!

This varies for everyone but i personally believe and was taught it is dependant on how bad it is? if it is only around the free edge and not over 1/4 of the nail i myself would do it but obviously keep the enhancements as short as possible explain to the client that if she persists on pulling or picking the enhancements off she will make the condition of her natural nail worse and it will come to a point where she wont b able to have anymore enhancements until it has grown out, just explain in the nicest way possible that it is her picking at her nails that is causing her nail to lift from her bed.

hths xx

i had the same issue with a lady the other day luckily she wasnt having enahcements but shes a picker too!!

This varies for everyone but i personally believe and was taught it is dependant on how bad it is? if it is only around the free edge and not over 1/4 of the nail i myself would do it but obviously keep the enhancements as short as possible explain to the client that if she persists on pulling or picking the enhancements off she will make the condition of her natural nail worse and it will come to a point where she wont b able to have anymore enhancements until it has grown out, just explain in the nicest way possible that it is her picking at her nails that is causing her nail to lift from her bed.

hths xx

Thanks MissLB. I did explain to her when I saw it, but in all honesty I tell her at practically every appointment to stop picking them off (nicely of course!) as you can see the white marks from where they're being pulled off....but of course they just fall off or come off so easily! :wink2:

She's had gel polish on this time, but wants L&P next week for xmas...I just don't want it to get any worse as she's bound to have them pulled off over the xmas break. She also works with kids so is constantly running round and knocking then on car seats etc. Even though it's not my fault I still feel that responsibility for some reason!

well i mean if u have told her on numerous occasions ur basically bashing ur head on a brick wall. id see how shes got on with the gel nails see if shes been picking again i would also print of some or show her some nasty oncholysis pictures sometimes they need to see the effects good bit of shock value!! if its got worse it is down to u as a technician to decide i personally would think more about my duties as tech she may leave n not
come back and go to the local nss but if she bad mouths u what is she going for the reason cos u ere doing ur job and being a good technician id rather know ive done that rather then perform a treatment if it gets really bad and the her natural nail comes off then she has a reason to bad mouth. obviously not saying thats going to happen but i think u need to def put a plan in place

puffle i hope ur grateful for this i nearly threw up with this picture shiver down the spine!!! eeeew. haha

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1323262215.074591.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1323262215.074591.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 329
puffle i hope ur grateful for this i nearly threw up with this picture shiver down the spine!!! eeeew. haha

Oh my word, that's horrid and looks very sore! I do appreciate it....I think! :wink2:

When I told her what it was she was quite horrified so I'm hoping that will be enough to stop her, although I expect not. It could be from her picking but equally it could be from them being bashed about.

So do you think gel polish would be the way to go for now, or would you say absolutely nothing on her nails? Like you say it's hard as she could quite easily go back to the salon.

Sorry just bringing this back up for any other advice? :hug:

It's the clients decision at this point.

If she's going to keep picking, then she is going to pick at gels too, so why would you think it's any better to wear gel than l&p?

As for the posted image ... It is not at all a typical photo of onycholysis and is very extreme.

It's the clients decision at this point.

If she's going to keep picking, then she is going to pick at gels too, so why would you think it's any better to wear gel than l&p?

As for the posted image ... It is not at all a typical photo of onycholysis and is very extreme.

Hi Geeg

Completely agree with the picking.

Also agree not a typical case image on oncholysis but sometimes worst case senario in my opinion is a must for clients to see the severity and possible outcomes of their actions, just in the same way people post the images of nails hanging off due to MMA. Like i say this is purely my opinion. :biggrin:

Hi Geeg

Completely agree with the picking.

Also agree not a typical case image on oncholysis but sometimes worst case senario in my opinion is a must for clients to see the severity and possible outcomes of their actions, just in the same way people post the images of nails hanging off due to MMA. Like i say this is purely my opinion. :biggrin:

I did not say you shouldn't have posted it ... I happen to keep in mind when I post, that this is a teaching site and as such a little explanation is needed for new ones who may think that that is an image of normal onycholysis. The chances of seeing damage like that photo is remote and is not in fact what will happen to clients nails if they pick.

I have never found it a must for clients to see images like that one nor the horrible MMA image that was posted here last week. That image was to inform professionals here on this site of the dangers of using MMA.

I did not say you shouldn't have posted it ... I happen to keep in mind when I post, that this is a teaching site and as such a little explanation is needed for new ones who may think that that is an image of normal onycholysis. The chances of seeing damage like that photo is remote and is not in fact what will happen to clients nails if they pick.

I have never found it a must for clients to see images like that one nor the horrible MMA image that was posted here last week. That image was to inform professionals here on this site of the dangers of using MMA.

no i know that geeg, i was just explaining why i did for the thread in general. I believe from other posts i have seen (believe it was last week)on here some people have posted this on their FB pages that is what i was referring too about the MMA. Not to it being on here. (i hope your not reading this with a tone to it apparently i have tendancies to come across argumentative as per my sister she says one of these days she's going to give me a :Grope:)

no i know that geeg, i was just explaining why i did for the thread in general. I believe from other posts i have seen (believe it was last week)on here some people have posted this on their FB pages that is what i was referring too about the MMA. Not to it being on here. (i hope your not reading this with a tone to it apparently i have tendancies to come across argumentative as per my sister she says one of these days she's going to give me a :Grope:)

:biggrin: All is well and I didn't think you were argumentative but you and everyone must realize that I post here to TEACH (I do not do this to hear myself talk or to be the big ''I am' .. not really to chat or to banter .. and I always have in mind who is reading and their possible lack of experience. I wish everyone did the same. Chat is for banter (you rarely see me there) and blogs. It is simply not why I am here.

:biggrin: All is well and I didn't think you were argumentative but you and everyone must realize that I post here to TEACH (I do not do this to hear myself talk or to be the big ''I am' .. not really to chat or to banter .. and I always have in mind who is reading and their possible lack of experience. I wish everyone did the same. Chat is for banter (you rarely see me there) and blogs. It is simply not why I am here.

Totally realize that, ur one of the greats and the fact u reply on here to people who in everyday situations wouldnt get the help or advice from you is amazing!! ur far to modest u don't give urself enough credit for all the help u give! (love the book half way through it btw)

i will only post what i personally think and have been taught and i always try to say that on my posts and i take in other peoples advice and answers just purely because everyone to some degree has different info from their training days (i found this out on a few occasions but more recently the other day when i was dealing with big lunulas on a lady and just wanted clarification on the sponginess of them as i advised the client any treatments she had from me or anyone else would need to be done with care due to her having such a large surface area of partially formed nail plate, someone actually a few people said they were told the lunula is not important nor do u need to worry about it, i nearly fell of my chair!!)

Anyway im going completely off subject!! waffling :wink2:

My father was an extreme biter, and all 10nails looked like that all the time.

I've only seen nails as bad as this 3 times in all my life: my father, a prospective-client with a fungal infection that was being treated by Dr., and a client I temporarily reformed.

I 'temporarily' reformed a biter that had them like that, we managed over a 2yr period to reform her. They actually grew out quite well over time. It was a team effort and required weekly appointments, and a strong sense of will-power on her part.
But then she divorced and that was that.

I'm not sure what to advise here. They are in dreadful shape.
As said, if she's determined to pick/bite, then she will. Whether you do the nails or not.
What you can do is ask her to sign a note on the consult card relieving you of any responsibility due to her biting/picking habit.

hth's

My father was an extreme biter, and all 10nails looked like that all the time.

I've only seen nails as bad as this 3 times in all my life: my father, a prospective-client with a fungal infection that was being treated by Dr., and a client I temporarily reformed.

I 'temporarily' reformed a biter that had them like that, we managed over a 2yr period to reform her. They actually grew out quite well over time. It was a team effort and required weekly appointments, and a strong sense of will-power on her part.
But then she divorced and that was that.

I'm not sure what to advise here. They are in dreadful shape.
As said, if she's determined to pick/bite, then she will. Whether you do the nails or not.
What you can do is ask her to sign a note on the consult card relieving you of any responsibility due to her biting/picking habit.

hth's

Thanks...just so you know the pic isn't of my client...she only just starting. :hug:

Luckily she doesn't bite her natural nails, just whatever she has on them. For some reason I had in my head that peeling gel polish off as opposed to prying L&P off, wouldn't do as much damage but I guess it will in the long run.

I'll just advise her that she REALLY needs to stop and see how it goes from there, and maybe make a decision if it gets worse.

Thanks everyone. :biggrin:

Latest posts

Back