Client with peeling Shellac

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

depths

Reaction score
So I did CND Shellac on a client 2 days ago and today she txted me saying some fingers had lifting. I told her to come back and I will fix them for free as it's only been 2 days. So she is coming back tonight and I want to work out what has caused the lifting, she is a hairdresser so I thought maybe chemicals from work? What kinds of questions should I ask to find out the cause?
Oh and my process is
Cool blue, then a thorough scrub fresh, base coat, 2 thin coats of shellac, I then did a glitter fade and top coated twice thinly as I could still feel the rough glitter after one coat.
These are the pics she sent me

Sent from my GT-I9305 using SalonGeek mobile app

Attachments

• 1390461565335.jpg
    1390461565335.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 489
  • 1390461646859.jpg
    1390461646859.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 474
So I did CND Shellac on a client 2 days ago and today she txted me saying some fingers had lifting. I told her to come back and I will fix them for free as it's only been 2 days. So she is coming back tonight and I want to work out what has caused the lifting, she is a hairdresser so I thought maybe chemicals from work? What kinds of questions should I ask to find out the cause?
Oh and my process is
Cool blue, then a thorough scrub fresh, base coat, 2 thin coats of shellac, I then did a glitter fade and top coated twice thinly as I could still feel the rough glitter after one coat.
These are the pics she sent me

Did you do cuticle away and de activate with water? X x

No I didn't use cuticle away as my thoughts teacher told us it isnt necessary for shellac unless the client has lots of dead or peeling tissue. Could that be the problem?

Did you cap your free edge???
Does she wear gloves at work & home when doing jobs???
Xxx

No I didn't use cuticle away as my thoughts teacher told us it isnt necessary for shellac unless the client has lots of dead or peeling tissue. Could that be the problem?

I always use cuticle away and deactivate with soap and water and have very few problems, I have had clients in who have had shellac applied (elsewhere) and they didn't have cuticle done and the paint job near the cuticle has been awful as they have painted over cuticle. I was taught to always use cuticle away but MUST deactivate with soap and water. Can I ask where you trained? Also does this client have peeling at the end of the nail? It could be this that has lifted the shellac. ( I have attached a photo of a lady who came to me with shellac on from elsewhere, she said they just cleaned her nail and applied shellac, check out the paint job at the cuticle area, it's dreadful! She also had them done at a reputable spa! ) ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1390466019.408125.jpg

Probably not but it is part of the CND service. Have you done CND shellac training and use the CND lamp? Also her nails look quite short could you have maybe not capped the free edge? Or even not scrub freshed the free edge then capped it and it's came away, I know if I've done my nails in a hurry that happens to me x

Cuticle away is not always necessary, it was released after shellac so all nails done before that would have had service breakdown? Lol no don't think so! It's also not in kit so don't blame that but possibly try it tonight if u have it.

No offence to client but her nails are really stained n dirty looking, she's not been wearing gloves by looks of it! My bet is it's the products she's using, advise gloves at all times especially if rinsing off a colour xxxxx

I did my novice course, master painter and shellac art & style with Leita Schmeidte at ANA (Australian nail academy) so have had correct training, it was only 4 months ago however. Yes I have a CND lamp and only use CND products. I always use cuticle away when doing nail enhancements but not always with shellac unless the cuticle area is bad, I would never paint over the cuticle. I did cap the free edge but there wasn't much of it so some areas were a bit hard to get to. I did tell her to wear gloves as much as possible and sent her home with a bottle of solar oil but she said she has her hands in water a lot and also can't wear gloves when washing out a color as it pulls the clients hair. I'm not sure if it's my technique or her work that's to blame... When she comes back I will redo with cuticle away and pay attention to the free edges and hopefully it will make the last better :)

She looks like a picker to me! Do ypu habe problems with other clients? If no then its her at fault. When I first started I had problems like this too but I was applying the shellac too thickly.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

From the photos her nails look quite short so really try and seal that free edge as best you can. If its not sealed it will lift. If her hands are in water a lot without gloves, she will be more prone to issues. The natural nail is porous so will suck up water. Then they dry out so shrink back down again. Doing this over and over again is going to compromise the shellac coating, it's not indestructible ! Seal the edge well and get her to use Tons of solar oil..

It's not always necessary but I use cuticle away on every service. It's just a safe guard and something I can rule out in case there's any problems. Most likely it's just down to her not wearing gloves. If you've capped the free edge, they've already worn away, and there's some staining on her nails. I'm guessing hair dye? As much as she's against it, she'll have to understand that wearing gloves to protect her hands and nails is part of the aftercare advice because it helps get the most out of the wear. If not wearing gloves has caused this, then she'll keep having this problem. If she wants to rule that out as the issue, she should try wearing it the first few days just to see if it lifts again.

Your picture shows the problem is at the free edge, so I would also say that not wearing gloves and her occupation has caused this. Sealing the free edge is purely for giving a professional look with Shellac and as Chika says it will have worn away anyway.
The way it looks in the photo I wonder if it was a little thicker than your usual application? The thing with adding glitter is the extra layers and it looks like it is in one piece and peeled back.

Another thing I would consider is that the finger it has peeled on may well be the finger she uses to dip into hair products so maybe an ingredient has compromised the Shellac on just this finger. Just a thought.

I just finished redoing them, when she got here all the nails were bare even tho her txt today had only two lifted so not sure if she picked the rest off. Anyway I used cuticle away, double scrub freshed and was very careful to cap the free edge. Also to use super thin coats. She said she was wearing gloves all day but her boss doesn't allow her to wear them when washing out color so had to take them off for that. I noticed here nails were quite flaky aswell so maybe that has helped the shellac lift off... Also told her to use solar oil as much as possible. If this doesn't work I'm out of ideas!

I just finished redoing them, when she got here all the nails were bare even tho her txt today had only two lifted so not sure if she picked the rest off. Anyway I used cuticle away, double scrub freshed and was very careful to cap the free edge. Also to use super thin coats. She said she was wearing gloves all day but her boss doesn't allow her to wear them when washing out color so had to take them off for that. I noticed here nails were quite flaky aswell so maybe that has helped the shellac lift off... Also told her to use solar oil as much as possible. If this doesn't work I'm out of ideas!

If her nails were flakey then she prob did pick the rest off! Xx

If she has flaky nails did you remove the flaking prior to applying the Shellac? If not that will definitely cause it to lift.

Also, there is nothing wrong with doing a dry PEP if their cuticles aren't especially bad, but they will still need removing with a curette. However if there is a lot of dead skin on the nails then Cuticle Away should be used.

You could also try applying Nail Fresh to dehydrate the nails further before application.

Can I be really cheeky and ask how you did the glitter fade? It looks great (apart from peeling nail) xx

Can I be really cheeky and ask how you did the glitter fade? It looks great (apart from peeling nail) xx
I just use a small make up brush and some denim geode additive, press it into the lower area then brush it gently upwards :) and thanks!

If she has flaky nails did you remove the flaking prior to applying the Shellac? If not that will definitely cause it to lift.

Also, there is nothing wrong with doing a dry PEP if their cuticles aren't especially bad, but they will still need removing with a curette. However if there is a lot of dead skin on the nails then Cuticle Away should be used.

You could also try applying Nail Fresh to dehydrate the nails further before application.

I didn't notice the flakiness until she came back, but yes I did remove it. I originally did a dry mani with curette and cuticle pusher but maybe that wasn't enough... dreading getting another txt lol!

Cuticle away is not always necessary, it was released after shellac so all nails done before that would have had service breakdown? Lol no don't think so! It's also not in kit so don't blame that but possibly try it tonight if u have it.

No offence to client but her nails are really stained n dirty looking, she's not been wearing gloves by looks of it! My bet is it's the products she's using, advise gloves at all times especially if rinsing off a colour xxxxx

Cuticle away was around way before shellac!

Latest posts

Back