Client with Shellac chipping issues, advice needed

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrslargelashes

Reaction score
Hi ladies,
I am needing some advce regarding a Shellac client I have. I did her nails on Friday, and she has text me today to say they have chipped (again). I have had problems with this clients nails from the beginning, they are dry and some are ridged. Pre-Brisa Lite I had tried Shellac alone, which chipped. Then I tried Smoothing Gel under Shellac which she got 7 days from, then they chipped (I repaired for free).

On Friday just past I tried one thin coat of Brisa Lite sculpting, which has now chipped over the weekend. I have rebooked her for next Friday (free of charge) to do a full new set using Brisa Lite as an overlay. Do you feel this would be the correct course of action? I have given her Solar Oil which she says she uses every day, and she swears she wears gloves when cleaning etc. She says she does not want l & p or anything that requires buffing of her natural nail, I had to reassure her that the Brisa Lite sculpting gel does not require buffing or etching of the natural nail.

I am meticulous with her PEP, as she has had chipping before. I am salon based and Shellac makes up a large bulk of what I do, I have regulars that return every 2-3 weeks with no chips, just a little tip wear at most, so I am lost as to what to do other than offering her an overlay. What would you advise?

Sorry its so long winded but I need some geek input xx:irked:

In 10 years of doing nails, I have only ever come across 2 ladies who just could not seem to wear any kind of nail product, but they are around.

If you lady truly does use her oil and protects her nails when cleaning I think she may fall into this category!

What does she do for a job? Which fingers chip? All? Or is it the same ones every time? If it's the same few nails I'd be inclined to say it's something she's doing/using.

I think you are doing your best and you may as well give an overlay a go. So yes I think you're doing the right thing but I would question whether she should be getting freebies. I would point out to her in the nicest way that you know your job and have many repeat clients with no problems..... maybe a discount or even half price would be a nice gesture but not free lol!! Well maybe that's just me being a tightar5e. You're being too nice :lol:

Hi Blossom,

It tends to be her 2 middle fingers and her thumb, she swears she is using her solar oil but her cuticles always seem really dry. But if she says she is following her aftercare what can I do without argueing with her? The first time she contacted me about chipping, I fixed free of charge as I thought it must have been something I had done as I had never had it happen before. The 2nd time it happened I added Smoothing gel underneath to try it out, so she got a little longer at 7 days. She is training to be a vet's assistant.

I am going to try the Brisa Lite Sculpting as an overlay, and see if that works. I am also going to ask her if she has had anything on her nails before that has lasted. Its so frustrating trying to work out what will help.

Thanks for your reply xx

I have plenty of vet trainees whose nails I do and they last fine. I would say she might not be suitable for shellac and she may need an enhancement product for extra strength. You know best, you are the technician and if you feel her nails aren't suitable just tell her and offer her an alternative. The Brisa light sculpting gel might be good for her since she doesn't want buffing.

I have her booked in next Friday for the Brisa Lite overlay and Shellac (the one I have booked free of charge), then she has her appointment booked 7 days after which I have asked her to keep so I can see how her nails lasted with the overlay. I will keep you all updated x

Latest posts

Back