Clients after Covid-19

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poppyisland

Reaction score
Iv read today that we will have to take the temperature of each client - has anyone bought any thermometers or are there any throw way ones you can get?
Also is anyone putting their prices up to cover any extra costs of ppe etc? Or just in general?
I want to keep everything fair but obviously we need to make money and having less clients in at one time will not help that x

Iv read today that we will have to take the temperature of each client - has anyone bought any thermometers or are there any throw way ones you can get?
Also is anyone putting their prices up to cover any extra costs of ppe etc? Or just in general?
I want to keep everything fair but obviously we need to make money and having less clients in at one time will not help that x

Where did you read this?

IMG_3292.JPG
it was in the daily mail today - what each salon should be doing x

I saw it mentioned in the BABTAC back to work guidelines for beauty and hair salons. It was under the "operational protocols & controls" subsection.
It is guidelines that they recommend , not new rules at the moment.

It mentioned a non invasive type of thermometer to use on staff, deliveries and clients. Also it is worth noting that it said if a client is ovulating she may have a temp spike thus complicating matters.

Slightly misleading (as usual for the DM) - the article says

You might have your temperature taken
Lesley Blair, of the British Association of Beauty Therapy and Cosmetology (BABTAC), says the industry is advising salons to consider taking the temperature of every person entering the building each day, and ensuring any thermometer used is properly cleaned.

Additionally, the guidelines note: ‘Infrared thermometers are recommended. However, these should be used with caution, bearing in mind that individuals may be ovulating, where there is a natural spike in body temperature; be experiencing a hot flush; or have a higher temperature if anxious or stressed.’

Babtac representative is advising salons to consider it

Obviously anything we read now is speculation but I have read that some countries (can't remember which) have stipulated that clients have their temperature taken. I guess it shows a duty of care and, although some people are asymptomatic, others will still get a high temperature. I have already bought a contactless thermometer and, even if we aren't instructed to use them in the guidelines, I will still be using it. I hope it will instill client confidence and ,at least ,will send the message that I'm taking it seriously. I'm not sure if anyone can make a claim against us yet but at least I can say I took their temperature and followed a procedure.

I think that using a thermometer will give both clients and staff a false sense of security, so I’d be wary of using one.
I read previously that people are the most infectious during the first 7 days after contracting the virus, and before they display any obvious symptoms.

That is a valid point.
But it was a requirement in Spain when they returned (I know info is always changing though).
My thoughts are if you didn't take a temperature you would do all symptom free clients regardless, because you would be unaware.
I feel safer still refusing any with a high temperature , even if a few slip through the net.
I'm going for the belt and braces approach lol.

My thoughts are if you didn't take a temperature you would do all symptom free clients regardless, because you would be unaware.

80% are asymptomatic so won't have a temperature anyway.

I'm not saying don't do it, you do whatever you feel is right for you and your clients, but for others reading the thread wondering if they should or shouldn't it's a point to consider.

Yes. I bought the thermometer a while back so will still use it. I don't think I worded the previous message well. I guess I was trying to say I'll still have filtered out the 20% that do have symptoms so better than nothing . Thanks all for your input, it has given me food for thought.

Here’s another article talking about the ‘silent spreaders’.
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-52840763
I think taking every precaution (temperature checks, face masks, face shields, gloves etc. is obviously a sensible approach but to not get complacent, particularly if you have someone shielding in your family.

Thanks everyone - no completely clear guidelines yet.
Also, what is w wry one doing about consultations/skin tests? Obviously there can only be a detain amount of people at 1 time in the salon but as we will be working with a lesser amount of clients, trying to claw back money will be hard, do we need to book these skin test/consultations as appointments and then spend time after cleaning? (I know we have to clean just pointing out the amount of time we will spend not getting money in from these type of clients)

Hi would any of you be increasing your prices? Due to extra cost of ppe and 3 months out of work? I don't know what to do to make it fair. Thanks.

Hi would any of you be increasing your prices? Due to extra cost of ppe and 3 months out of work? I don't know what to do to make it fair. Thanks.
I'm going to message all my clients that their first appointment will be current prices, then I shall be raising them.
I was going to anyway this june, it's just unfortunate it's in the midst of this.

I'm not sure how much by, but maybe 5-7%.

You need to sit down and work out the figures properly, not pluck figures from the air.

I have sent an email listing all the (numerous) safety procedures I will be putting in place (obviously there may be changes once we get official guidelines). I've listed PPE I will be using myself and supplying for their own personal use. Cost of card reader transactions too. I have added at the end that , although my charges will be increasing, I am not intending to profit from this, merely covering my costs. I won't put a % on but will work out average cost of PPE for each client and will add that to their usual bill. I usually increase my prices in January & will be doing that still. When PPE is no longer needed I will remove that charge from their bill.

Its not just the extra PPE costs though.

The time spent cleaning between clients means you might not be able to fit as many clients into your schedule.
Whereas before, you’d have it scheduled so the next client is sat waiting just as you finish off your current client, now, you’ll be cleaning down the chair, workstation and tools between every client, so that will take extra time.

What services can you offer?
You might not be able to safely offer some of your services so you need to work out which services are both safe and cost effective to offer. You might have offered a brow tidy on its own previously, but by the time you‘ve thoroughly cleaned between clients, will you make any money on it? Likewise, you can no longer offer blow dry’s.

I think most clients will anticipate an increase in prices but they might not be so accommodating if you find you have to increase your prices again in 3 months, because you’re working at a loss.

True. It depends on your own personal circumstances. All overheads need to be taken into consideration. I'm a freelance mobile hairstylist so I have no overheads unless I am actually working. Clients wait in their own home. They will clear and sanitise an area which I will then spray with barbicide solution and cover with couch roll before unloading my (bare minimum) equipment & our PPE. I will use disposable everything so less laundering than usual (apart from my own clothes, which I am considering changing 2 or 3 times a day) .Time to sterilise/clean my equipment at home will be longer, but I just accept it will be part of life. I will lose revenue by not being able to blow dry (if this turns out to be the case) however. Is it cheeky to not reduce the cost for a colour client if we aren't able to blow dry for them? I am mindful that many clients may have been furloughed though, so don't want to take advantage.

If it turns out blow drying isn’t allowed in any case, we are going to lose a good 10-15 regular clients who come just for blowdries. So money has got to be made up some where.
I think personally I will keep prices the same but they won’t get a blowdry and then if they need a mask charge them for one.
It’s not their fault we can’t have more than 1 in at a time. But I am worried about working extra hours with less clientele x

I keep reading this however i was seriously ill in January with PNEUMONIA before covid 19 was around and im generally young fit and healthy, i had NO temperature which was a mystery. Im sure i had covid 19, i couldnt breathe and was off work for awhile with lots of different anti biotics as they would not work!
Now they are saying covid 19 does not always come woth a temperature!
I think its a waste of time and money so i hope this is not true as anyone who comes in with a temperature will knock down paracetomol (which lowers temp) and come im amyway lol

Latest posts

Back