Clients and fungal nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jemima

Reaction score
I realise there are already some existing threads out there but couldn't quite find what I am looking for. We seem to have had a recent influx of new clients coming to us with possible/ established fungal/infected nails. We do have a Foot Health Professional (like a chiropodist) who comes in on an appointment basis and it's working well for her and it's great when she is here as she can have a look while the client is here.

We've got to a point recently where it's almost every other pedicure has possible fungal nails and despite our best efforts to explain our reasons for not painting their nails refering them to their GP/Chiropodist or our Foot Professional they don't get it or they don't care! As these are new clients we don't want to make them feel embarassed or not want to come back. We have been thinking about putting a little poster/ info leaflet up in the salon and on our website highlighting fungal infections and other toenail problems and explaining on it why we can't paint their nails.

Is this something anyone else has done? Would you find it offensive?

Just to be clear these are new clients coming to us with infections, not existing clients developing infections!

This is exactly what I am thinking about. I'm doing my pedicure training in July. I saw some of my clients toenails and I think to myself that doesn't look right. Only been looking because I know I might be doing their pedicure. I was thinking to look for mobile chiropodist who could come by appointments but how do you say to people their toenails don't look right? I don't want to offend anyone and I would love to make everyone's feet including toenails looking nice.
Did you do the poster? I was thinking to have a leaflet with some advice about toenails and options what they can do? I'm very new to this business and I'm scared of my ideas just in case they are wrong ideas.

You don't need to carefully ask them.
While you do have to be polite and discreet , this is your business ,
If you see something that is not right then say so.

Do the consultation and ask do you have any problems that you are aware of like ABCD (they prob know if there's a problem and by being work like and asking as formality they will probably say oh this and that. )

Then when checking over you can show them if you find something , you can then advise them that it needs to be checked out by a medical professional and your job is to beautify. And not specify .

Be carefull though.
While we can't Say what we think it is we do need to make sure that we have a good idea at what we are looking at , as we will never make any money if we turn away every beaus line or polish stains toe nail that comes in the door.

You could put up the poster with a note like- are you worried about this condition? Ask for a quick consultation with xxxxxx our foot health professional.

Turns the negative into a positive by showing its a common problem that they can have help with in your salon :)

I think with some problems we think its not that big of a deal so we will deal with it when we have time but if your offering help in the place that they're visiting for treatments then that's great!

Lindsey x

You could put up the poster with a note like- are you worried about this condition? Ask for a quick consultation with xxxxxx our foot health professional.

Turns the negative into a positive by showing its a common problem that they can have help with in your salon :)

I think with some problems we think its not that big of a deal so we will deal with it when we have time but if your offering help in the place that they're visiting for treatments then that's great!

Lindsey x

Great idea :D x

Latest posts

Back