Clients and herpes, can you do their nails?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kellie12375

Reaction score
Hi ladys need some advice please am newly qualified with cnd.Basically i do not know how to approach this so any advice will be appreciated.Recently a good friend has just told me that she has herpes she has just been diagnosed with it in the last few months in this time she has had an outbreak twice which she has said it is contagious when she is having an outbreak,i do not know if it is contagious before an outbreak? i do not have no knowledge of this disease other than it is contagious and once you catch it,its with you for life.My question is she has asked me to do her nail's like i say am newly qualified so i do not know if this is possible or not really would appreciate any advice as i do not want to offend her but i also do not want to put myself in the position of catching this.She is desperate for me to do her nails and i do not think she has thought of there may be implacations of me doing her nails.BIG THANKYOU FOR ANY ADVICEDO NOT WANT TO OFFEND SO HOW SHOULD I HANDLE THIS.If i do not reply to any questions etc it beacause still trying find my way round site lol.Thanks for any replys. xx

If your concern is that you may catch it from her, then wear gloves whilst you are working.

Is it the herpes virus in the form of cold sores she has?

Hi

This is a good question and would to like to hear peoples replys, i have however found this site Welcome to the HVA website not sure if it tells you that much but was thinking could you not just wear gloves and throw away your files after? Your brush's should be ok as you dont actually touch the skin anyway?

Not sure if this is right but as I say would also like to read anyone elses replys.

Hi,

Well first of all, it is really is very decent of this person to tell you they actually have the virus. Most people would not.

I have been searching some sites for you. Here is a link to a site that may help you.

Good Luck.

Herpes Prevention

Thanks for the advice ladys i never gave it a second thought to wear gloves.basically she caught this after using a toilet after somebody who is a carrier ,so she gets the sores she has told me in that area.Shes a great friend to of told me because alot i dont feel would of done.And i dont want to offend her or treat her any different i guess i just have to approach it differntly.Thank you all,Thanks trusim for the site .
x

Thanks rebecca also for the site link x

unfortunatly, genital herpes, which is what your friend has, is a sexually transmitted disease. you can't catch it from a toilet seat. as long as you both wash your hands really really well prior to the service you are fine. You'd actually have to make contact with her sores in order to catch it. or if she touches the sores and then you handle her hands, but even then you have to make contact with an open sore or mucous membrane. don't be afriad of your friend. Just both of you wash well and wear gloves if you still are nervous. she is right on one thing, as long as she's not having an outbreak you won't catch it. GL

unfortunatly, genital herpes, which is what your friend has, is a sexually transmitted disease. you can't catch it from a toilet seat. as long as you both wash your hands really really well prior to the service you are fine. You'd actually have to make contact with her sores in order to catch it. or if she touches the sores and then you handle her hands, but even then you have to make contact with an open sore or mucous membrane. don't be afriad of your friend. Just both of you wash well and wear gloves if you still are nervous. she is right on one thing, as long as she's not having an outbreak you won't catch it. GL

Yes,I was going to say the same thing about the toilet seat.:eek:

I had a client warn me once during consultation prior to massage.Its only during an outbreak that they are actually contagious and even then you would have to have direct contact with sores.Its a shame though,she's obviously feeling uneasy about it as was my client who told me she caught it from a towel.

BIg thanks to you all for the information feel bit betta now,just with been newly qualified i have a lot to learn still.Lv this site everybody is so friendly and helpful and lv looking at the work you guys have done and do.Cheers x

Hi there!

One thing you need to ensure you tell her is that she may suffer lifting of her natural nail bed.

I have Herpes Simplex 1 (the cold sore one) and I have only ever had one cold sore in my life when I got my lips tattooed. The only other time I have issues is when I put on a new set of nails. I took them off just after Christmas and put them on again last week - both my ring finger nails have lifted almost all the way back to the lunula so I have shortened them almost to my finger tips to reduce the risk of knocking them.

The first time seems to inflict enough disturbance to the nail bed that some of them will break out with the herpes. What this means to your client is that she will have to start them off a bit shorter and grow them longer, and that she will have to keep her nails clean and dry. I use a toothpick and just slide it under the lifted nail bed to absorb any moisture, then throw it away. Then get her to use hand sanitising gel to ensure there is no bacteria trapped under the nail, because this will absolutely cause an infection.

The herpes usually resolves itself by the time of the first or second infill.

I use NSI's Nail Pure, after I've washed and dried my hands, I pop a drop of the nailpure down between the lifted nail and the nail bed. It stings, but it does the job of keeping the area sanitized and dry.

Remember that treating Herpes of the nails is the OPPOSITE of a fungal infection - if it were fungii, you'd clip away the lifted nail to treat the fungus and allow it to dry out. Herpes need to be clean and dry, but removing the lifted nail will cause MORE trauma and exacerbate the herpes.

I was in the industry 13 years before I learned that this was the problem.

It is correct that herpes can only be transmitted by the open sores, but these sores can be anything from damaged nail beds, cold sores, mouth ulcers, a sore throat (tiny ulcers popping in the throat) and skin lesions similar to excema. 90% of the adult popluation has Herpes, either 1 or 2, and only 30% of these people know they have it.

Best practise is to assume that everyone has something infectious and they don't know it.

It might seem overkill to wash and sanitize your hands, then donn gloves, faskmask and goggles; but you'll thank yourself later. I use disposable dental mats on my manicure table; I also purchase files for each of my customers, as well as a bottle of sterilizing spray. I send these home with the client in a zip-loc bag, and ensure that all of their files are sterile before use. Hugely reduces cross-contamination. Although this does increase your costs, I provide a hand and arm massage at the end of the service, and I also tell my clients that their nail enhancement includes a manicure (cos by the time you're done, it has!)

I wish you all the best in your venture as a nail tech.

Genital herpes is different than the cold sore type. Yes, once it is in your system, it is there for life. Since you are working on her hands it shouldn't be an issue as it is sexually transmitted disease. You can get genital herpes prior to breakout, or after, contrary to what some have said and definitely during a breakout. It shouldn't have any factor in how her enhancements do. If she takes medicine for it on a regular basis, that might be a factor in how well her enhancements stay on.

Since it is a sexually transmitted disease it shouldn't be an issue for you, but ensuring you both wash hands wouldn't hurt. If she goes to the bathroom while getting a service ensure she washes her hands and then I would also have her use a hand sanitizer, just in case. Can never be too careful.

Hi all thank you for all your information you have given me i am going to be an expert on herpes lol.you have helped me loads dont feel as in the dark now about how to handle it .Thanks sonia for all the info. xx

Just regarding the "catching of herpes from a toilet"...

Can I catch this virus from toilets, or sharing soap, bath towels, etc?
It is generally considered that the spreading of genital herpes through inanimate objects, such as soap, towels, clothing, bed sheets, toilet seats, and spa surfaces is highly unlikely because the herpes virus cannot live very long outside of the body.
In theory this virus will die very quickly once the temperature drops or the moisture around the virus dries up, but a scenario can be suggested where the temperature and moisture holds on long enough for the virus to survive outside the body for several minutes. This could arise where an infected person leaves the virus in droplets of warm urine on the toilet seat and someone uses that toilet seat within a few minutes and has a cut that comes in contact with that pool of warm urine. To avoid this scenario wipe the toilet seat before using.

Latest posts

Back