Clients and mobile phones

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kizzycat

Reaction score
ok so how many of you have your nail clients in front of you and infront of them they have their mobile which the insist on texting while you do the other hand?

How do you handle it? do you let them? do you ask them tactfully to put their mobile away until their treatment is compelte?

Last edited:
This really does annoy me so wat I do is I glue the tip on and say to them they have to be careful with them before I cut them to save them bending and I'm just like I would wait to txt til I have finished x

I have one particular client who really bugs me with this. She hears the UV lamp ping & takes her hand straight out & promptly gets fluff on the sticky residue. She hands it to me when the next hand is ready for the lamp & says sorry ! I say if you can keep it in the lamp then it will prevent this ok... She says ok & STILL continues to take it out & tap along on her mobile. REALLY bugs me...

Each new visit I say ok no taking it out of the lamp as I keep having to wipe it ... but does she listen.... nope...

I give up. I want (need) her money so I put up with it .... :0

Last edited:
I leave them to it, I'm not their mother! They pay me to do their nails it rarely interferes with my treatment I don't see a problem!xx

I let them get on with it whether I'm waxing or doing nails. As long as it doesn't interfere with what i'm doing it doesn't bother me. If I had to take a call in a treatment I would. Xx

TBH I find it really rude when clients make/take calls, text or watch TV (i work mobile) while you are trying to do a treatment on them.

When I go to have treatments done myself I switch my phone on slient or off, either way it goes in my handbag until I have finished having my treatment as like to chat to the theraptist or hairstylist and have quality time away from people trying to get hold of me on my phone.

I work mobile and I kindly state at the time of booking that I would grateful if mobiles where switch off or turn on to slient etc, so they do not interfear with the treatment .

I had one client having turn up an hour late for her makeup lesson, when she turned up she then started making business calls on and off throughout the lesson, thus delaying the lesson even further.

Another client I went round to her house to do a manicure and a makeup application and she had midsomer murders on the TV blaring out in the other room and kept dashing in and out to speak to her OH to see who had been killed next and who he thought had 'done it' and again I ended up work over my alotted apt time

Due to this I now state that if I have to work over my aloted appointment time due constant interuptions from mobiles etc that I will bill them for the additional time I have had to work, as I feel that why should have to work extra for free if its not my fault?

That's definitely not on if it interferes with a make-up lesson, that's just rude!! But for some treatments like a leg wax it's really not an issue to me xx

Im not bothered about clients texting or using their phone as long as im not in the middle of Gelish and they fish around in their bag and get fluff all over their nails.

Most of my clients will ask if I mind them answering a call or sending a text, I do make it clear though that during a Gelish treatment their nails are not dry until the end so I would rather they didnt put their hands into their bags!

I let them get on with it whether I'm waxing or doing nails. As long as it doesn't interfere with what i'm doing it doesn't bother me. If I had to take a call in a treatment I would. Xx

find this same although sometimes its just quite rude xx

I have a sign up on my salon wall behind my head.
It says in big writing at the top
"Do you love great looking and lasting nails?
Do you love your scheduled appointment time to be on time?
Then if so, please either switch off or turn your mobile to silent and please keep them in your bag during our time together.
This will ensure you are getting the best possible service.
If you are not able to stop using your mobile phone during your appointment, I will not be responsible for any damage done during the service or any problems afterwards and all such problems during and afterwards can carry an additional charge if I have to carry out repairs due to the use of a mobile phone during your service time.
Thank you for your co-operation, now lets do NAILS!!!"

I also have this printed out and I give this with my aftercare sheet and I just added the words...."a small reminder for your next appointment" and then it just says what it says above.

So far I have had only a few clients try it on and one client just last week who thought she could beat me on this and when she took her hand out of the lamp and started texting, she tried to pick up her phone with this hand and got fluff stuck to it.
I pointed to my sign and explained my policy again and nicely told her that has this was her first time I would let it drop but not again, so could she please re-frame from using her phone during her time with me.

I also make a note on their card if they used their phone and this is my back up if they try and come back and say they have problems.

It's my business and I'm not going to just give away my time and products because someone wants to be rude.
If the doctors offices can request it then so can we/I:)

Well I have plenty that do this and while I agree it is rude,I don't actually mind, if I'm doing l&p. As long as they're not touching the nails which I have carefully prepped.

While they're texting, they're not talking to me and that means I can work faster. Which means they're out the door quicker and I have time for a cup of tea lol :cool:

I never have anyone who texts from the minute they come in and for the entire appointment though!

(The exception to the rule is if I'm doing Shellac/gels and there are sticky layers which can get bits stuck on them, then I'm not happy)

Going slightly off the topic here but I had a client who bought a 9 month old baby into the salon.....with no buggie or car seat. Just carrying her! She was in for shellac!! I asked her if she was aware that she wouldn't be able to see to the baby while I was doing her nails as they would be wet throughout. She replied with 'its fine, she'll sit on the floor on her blanket' well as expected within 5 minutes the baby started crying. Screaming. (just as well we didn't have any other clients in having a facial or a massage!) as it happened one of the hairdressers was free to 'entertain' the baby while i did her mums nails.
I think this is disgusting. We are not child minders! If it was my salon (which it isn't, Im just employed) i would have refused to do her nails. Its amazing what some clients think they can do during a treatment, so if its going to interfere with my treatment i politely tell them straight!

Sent from my GT-I9000 using SalonGeek

I have a sign up on my salon wall behind my head.
It says in big writing at the top
"Do you love great looking and lasting nails?
Do you love your scheduled appointment time to be on time?
Then if so, please either switch off or turn your mobile to silent and please keep them in your bag during our time together.
This will ensure you are getting the best possible service.
If you are not able to stop using your mobile phone during your appointment, I will not be responsible for any damage done during the service or any problems afterwards and all such problems during and afterwards can carry an additional charge if I have to carry out repairs due to the use of a mobile phone during your service time.
Thank you for your co-operation, now lets do NAILS!!!"

I also have this printed out and I give this with my aftercare sheet and I just added the words...."a small reminder for your next appointment" and then it just says what it says above.

So far I have had only a few clients try it on and one client just last week who thought she could beat me on this and when she took her hand out of the lamp and started texting, she tried to pick up her phone with this hand and got fluff stuck to it.
I pointed to my sign and explained my policy again and nicely told her that has this was her first time I would let it drop but not again, so could she please re-frame from using her phone during her time with me.

I also make a note on their card if they used their phone and this is my back up if they try and come back and say they have problems.

It's my business and I'm not going to just give away my time and products because someone wants to be rude.
If the doctors offices can request it then so can we/I:)

Very well put.

I have just made a note of this for future ref.xxxx

Do you know what, it really doesn't bother me as long as its not stopping me from doing my job or messing up the work I've done. I've got one particular client that always tags herself with me or writes on my business page wall during an appointment which I love :)
Rhiannon x

I was reading this last night and thought "it's never really bothered me" until this morning. Went round to a client first thing, it's her birthday. I'm doing Gelish and she gets 4 long winded happy birthday calls from relatives and friends. There was no "can I call you back because.....".

If it was my daughter I would have shouted at her. But you cant shout at clients and I let her off as it's her birthday after all. I think if it ever happens again I'm going to have to say something (polite but firm). It set me back by 20 mins.

We have a NO CELL PHONE policy in our nail spa...nice sign as soon as you walk in the door. Nobody abides by it. Drives me nucking futs!

But I must agree, as long as you don't stop my forward progress getting your nails done, feel free to talk, text and be as rude as you wanna be.

The sooner your rude behind is outta my chair, the better. :wink2:

Latest posts

Back