Clients arriving really early

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blossom

Reaction score
I don't mean to whinge, I mean, at least they're turning up!:lol:

But this last week, people are getting earlier and earlier. Maybe in a salon situation it doesn't matter, they can read a mag until their slot or something and just chill. But in a home salon situation with no dedicated waiting room, it can be awkward.

I'm not talking about 2 or 3 minutes early, we are talking 10-15 minutes (regular occurance) and in one case, a full half an hour early.

Does anyone else get this and how do you handle it?

If my appointments are back to back then the early client just comes and sits in a chair in the same room as the person whose nails I am (still) doing. If they chatter it's fine, but more often than not it just falls silent, where the person having their nails done had previously been enjoying a nice chat ( I swear we are really counsellors in disguise lol)

So not fair really.

Is anyone finding there's a general trend towards arriving early? Do you say/do anything? Or don't you mind?

I go to a home salon for my nails and always arrive early, but I always wait in my car as I would not like to intrude on other peoples time with the therapist.

Kirsty

"We put the treat in your treatment"

I do have several clients who turn up 30/40 mins early! I'm salon based but often through the week I'm working alone so breaking off from a client I'm already treating is not ideal, I have a supply of magazines and coffee/tea/juice etc they can help themselves to if they want it, generally they are sat using their phones.
I wouldn't let it frustrate you, but if your home based can you let clients wait in your lounge as a reception area instead of your treatment area? X

I don't mean to whinge, I mean, at least they're turning up!:lol:

But this last week, people are getting earlier and earlier. Maybe in a salon situation it doesn't matter, they can read a mag until their slot or something and just chill. But in a home salon situation with no dedicated waiting room, it can be awkward.

I'm not talking about 2 or 3 minutes early, we are talking 10-15 minutes (regular occurance) and in one case, a full half an hour early.

Does anyone else get this and how do you handle it?

If my appointments are back to back then the early client just comes and sits in a chair in the same room as the person whose nails I am (still) doing. If they chatter it's fine, but more often than not it just falls silent, where the person having their nails done had previously been enjoying a nice chat ( I swear we are really counsellors in disguise lol)

So not fair really.

Is anyone finding there's a general trend towards arriving early? Do you say/do anything? Or don't you mind?

I get this quite a lot in my home salon, I posted on the 'rant' thread last week! If I haven't got a client still with me then I will invite them in, finish what I'm doing and then start their appointment when I'm ready and politely remind them not to come until their app time. If I have a client still with me I ask them to wait in their car as unfortunately don't have any where for them to wait inside.

I send a text confirmation out every day to the clients booked for the day and I state " looking forward to seeing you later as agreed please can you arrive at the EXACT appointment time as I have clients booked before and after thanks " and this works I often see clients standing outside waiting for their tine before they ring the bell.

Jack

Last edited:
I would think 10 mins early isn't too bad as most people leave more time in case traffic is bad etc. Half an hour is a bit much though!

What is stopping you from taking people in earlier? Do you do back to back with no gaps?

It's a tricky one as it's better they're early than late and you don't want to put someone out on the street.

I would think 10 mins early isn't too bad as most people leave more time in case traffic is bad etc. Half an hour is a bit much though!

What is stopping you from taking people in earlier? Do you do back to back with no gaps?

It's a tricky one as it's better they're early than late and you don't want to put someone out on the street.

if I don't have a client with me, we do start earlier. But I have to book back to back sometimes, for infills or shellac I allow 1 hour so sometimes it means someone else sitting in with us for up to half of their treatment time! I do leave gaps at a couple of points in the day for, for example, a bit to eat or loo break!

I go for treatments at a home salon and whilst I arrive prompty, I stay in my car (as someone earlier said on this thread)... and actually she puts a note on her door saying treatment in progress please wait in your car. But then, if its massages or facials, it would be a lot more intrusive to have an onlooker than when its just nails, which is what I do!

It's nice to hear what others do in this situation :hug:

Can't you put a little notice on your door too? I would have a chat with the frequent offenders and explain in the nicest but firmest way possible. Some people need the extra nudge to act in a way that others feel is more appropriate.

if I don't have a client with me, we do start earlier. But I have to book back to back sometimes, for infills or shellac I allow 1 hour so sometimes it means someone else sitting in with us for up to half of their treatment time! I do leave gaps at a couple of points in the day for, for example, a bit to eat or loo break!

I go for treatments at a home salon and whilst I arrive prompty, I stay in my car (as someone earlier said on this thread)... and actually she puts a note on her door saying treatment in progress please wait in your car. But then, if its massages or facials, it would be a lot more intrusive to have an onlooker than when its just nails, which is what I do!

It's nice to hear what others do in this situation :hug:

Yeah that's true actually, you need some spare time to yourself to get things set up for the next person as well. The note on the door is a great idea, and if it works for others like you say, then it's worth a try. :)

I get this a lot!!! I've mentioned to my clients that if there's still a car outside it usually means I'm still with a client, now they sit in their cars untill I come 2 the door, I do get a few that walk up n obviously they can't sit anywhere so still knock!!! I've been putting bigger gaps between clients but I find I'm waiting around a lot but least I don't get the clash x

Hmmmmm didn't think of this. We have a lobby with some leather couches in my condo. I may get people to wait there until I come down personally to get them. Teeheehee, yeeeeees, I shall secretly comandeer the lobby. Eeeeexcellent.

I dont get clients turning up incredibly early, it might be due to a notice I have facing them in my nail room. It reads something like this..

'Thank you for booking your appointment with me

I am self employed and work from home. I have to optimize the use of my time, so would you kindly help me to keep things running smoothly.

If you know you will be late for your appointment a phone call would be very much appreciated.

Im sorry but I cannot accomodate you if you are more than 5 minutes early for your appointment.

If you cannot make your next appointment then a phone call to re-arrange 24 hors beforehand would be appreciated.

Thank you for your co-operation.'

Think that covers it and it seems to work :biggrin:

I've got one client who used to (not as much now) just would swan in about an hour early for her appointment!!!!! 😬 I think once she came n and luckily I wasn't scheduled to have anyone else in but she came in and said I've come early cos I want to see if you can fit me in to do shellac aswell as my waxing..... I was like eh???
So I just explained that yes this one time I can do it but if you want add on treatments you really must book in!!!! 😨 xxx

Nicola! Xxx

Do you have a hall or just a small area for a chair and magazines. It's their own fault if they arrive early. But they need to let you finish your previous client without feeling rushed. If there is a seat and mags then they can just wait.

I also have had this issue with clients rolling in 40mins before their booking. I have sent those a letter stating to arrive no earlier than 5 minutes before your appointment to ensure they do not interrupt the client prior to them. It has worked but have had the occasional client sarcastically comment am I not too early as it is 4 minutes before my booked appointment! The most annoying ones are those that bring their friends along and then expect them to be able to wait in a room in your home so as they don't disturb them during their treatment!!! I say no now as insurance doesn't cover this. I've worked from my home for over 10 yrs and have many outrageous stories of clients expectations that I could bore you with!

It doesn't matter as much in the salon but it is still a pain sometimes when clients turn up ridiculously early. I politely tell them they will have to wait til their allotted time as we have clients currently on the table. I do sometimes tell people not to come too early as there is someone with the therapist before them and they will just be waiting.

Most folks get the message but I understand it might be more difficult when you are home based but I think you just need to spell it out politely to the client.

I know this sounds funny - but you encourage it. By saying 'if i have no one there I take them early" then they come early. They might home they can get in early and get out sooner.

Can you have your door locked from the outside (So from inside they can still just walk out) and a sign "When there is a client here, I have the door locked. Everyone likes their pampering time."

let people know you're going to change how you run things. you can have a chair sitting outside? doesn't mean they'll use it, especially depending on weather... and you may have to clean the chair every so often too.

I love w1nnie's sign inside idea too! then it re-enforces it!

Good Luck

W1nnie thats a brilliant idea!! I will be putting something similar up too!

I also have an opposite problem...my clients think that because I live here I have all the time in the world and they can wait here in my home while (their partner is getting their haircut across the road/their mum picks them up but I didn't tell her when to pick me up so she hasn't left/my husband is shopping in asda so when he's finished he will come and get me). I find this not just awkward but very rude....I mean...one of them actually said 'if its alright im going to just chill here for 15-20 mins as my boyfriend is getting his haircut in a minute and I wont have anywhere to go.' In the centre of town...she had nowhere to go...? (I live above a shop). I said no because I had to get going to my other job...but seriously...? I do have a life and dont want strangers just sitting there when I need to go and do my ironing or have another client coming.

I'm finding it very odd. I also don't usually allow people to bring anyone with them either as they know that my place is very small and it would be odd to have their friend in my only room (I wouldnt let them in another room unsupervised) staring at them starkers having a tan); yet they are still bringing them and their children. A lady turned up with a 5 weeks old baby yesterday in a giant pram that just wouldn't go up the stairs so I had to accomodate by putting the baby on my sofa and surrounding it with cushions so it didnt roll off and then ME having to supervise the baby while I did her treatment as she seemed to think that I was a babysitter and she was able to relax!!! When I finally just let it cry and cry (I was trying to work afterall), she got up without warning me whilst I was putting tint on her eyebrows andit slopped down her face. Just crazy....

Is it rude to have a sign inside saying no children?????????

That is a great idea Winnie I'm going to do something like that!

I read this thread yesterday and then last night my first appointment was over half an hour late, and then the rest of my clients were turning up ridiculously early so was playing catch up - stressful!!

Latest posts

Back