Clients asking for sponsorship

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mobile Manicure

Reaction score
What do you do when a client asks you to sponsor them for a charity race etc?

I hate it. I feel put upon and feel I can't say no as they've given me so much money over time for treatments. Then I never know how much to give. I live and work in an affluent area and one of my clients had set up a "just giving" page. The minimum her friends were donating was £50. She's loaded in a big house so I suppose her friends must be of the same ilk. Im certainly not! I didn't give at all because a) I can't afford to give £50 and b) to give what I could afford would have looked stingy.

How do you politely decline when put on the spot.

Yes, I know, it's a tricky one!

What do you do when a client asks you to sponsor them for a charity race etc?

I hate it. I feel put upon and feel I can't say no as they've given me so much money over time for treatments. Then I never know how much to give. I live and work in an affluent area and one of my clients had set up a "just giving" page. The minimum her friends were donating was £50. She's loaded in a big house so I suppose her friends must be of the same ilk. Im certainly not! I didn't give at all because a) I can't afford to give £50 and b) to give what I could afford would have looked stingy.

How do you politely decline when put on the spot.

Yes, I know, it's a tricky one!

How about:

I have 3 charities that I sponsor on a monthly basis but I will support you emotionally.

Then ask her a question about her nails.

I wouldn't decline if she's a regular, I know I would have probably sponsored her for the same amount as the treatment I was carrying out (maybe minus product costs), but that's me a soft touch! X

I wouldn't decline if she's a regular, I know I would have probably sponsored her for the same amount as the treatment I was carrying out (maybe minus product costs), but that's me a soft touch! X

I just can't financially afford to do that. I can't give away free treatments cos someone is running a race. I'm running a business, this is my bread and butter. I feel awful but I just couldnt manage it. My daughter's next school trip is £190! Maybe I should ask my clients for sponsorship for that...:D

I always tell clients that I have so many requests for sponsorship that I give £1.00 to each one and that way I can support everyone. I actually have a little box in my clinic that has a few £1 in and as I open it I say 'oh, must remember to replenish that soon, you can tell it's race for life/midnight walk/sponsored walk season - and how are your nails/feet/back this week'. Give the £1 and quickly move on!

Hope that helps x

I always said that I wouldn't donate, unless it was for an animal charity. Always worked because it was true and they can't argue with it. Sometimes I think all the requests for donations can get too much and people feel obliged when they really,genuinely cannot afford it. Old cliche but true - Charity begins at home.

Something tells me donations to charity can be tax deductable? If so, this may make it easier for you to donate more than you would normally even think of.

Latest posts

Back