Clients buying Shellac!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glitzybiz

Reaction score
gggrrr just wanted to get this off my chest, had a client who i do shellac for, text me today asking the name and number of the shellac glitter i use on her bcos her friend likes her nails and wants to get them done (not with me someone else!) and was asking how i apply it before or after the topcoat, for gods sake i am a professional, how can she have the cheek to ask me about products and application techniques, and its not any benefit to me, shes obviousley buying shellac off ebay, and doing them herself, and my client just blatenley lied to me! ebay shouldnt be selling to public surely??? :evil:

gggrrr just wanted to get this off my chest, had a client who i do shellac for, text me today asking the name and number of the shellac glitter i use on her bcos her friend likes her nails and wants to get them done (not with me someone else!) and was asking how i apply it before or after the topcoat, for gods sake i am a professional, how can she have the cheek to ask me about products and application techniques, and its not any benefit to me, shes obviousley buying shellac off ebay, and doing them herself, and my client just blatenley lied to me! ebay shouldnt be selling to public surely??? :evil:

I understand how frustrated you are but try not to worry! My aunt was always coming to me to get her nails shellaced when I first opened my business but she lives quite far away so she asked me to get her the Shellac (don't yell at me geek's, she's my aunt I couldn't say no). Anyway she is amazing at painting nails so she thought it would be the same thing. I then got a message off her saying

'didn't realise how difficult it was to do, you made it look so easy! I've made a mess of them and they started to chip after the second day :(. I guess I know why their only available professionally'.

My point is, don't worry, she'll be back after she makes a mess of her nails! I think most client's think it looks easy and doing something like this will make them realise just how good you are so chin up :hug:

I understand how frustrated you are but try not to worry! My aunt was always coming to me to get her nails shellaced when I first opened my business but she lives quite far away so she asked me to get her the Shellac (don't yell at me geek's, she's my aunt I couldn't say no). Anyway she is amazing at painting nails so she thought it would be the same thing. I then got a message off her saying

'didn't realise how difficult it was to do, you made it look so easy! I've made a mess of them and they started to chip after the second day :(. I guess I know why their only available professionally'.

My point is, don't worry, she'll be back after she makes a mess of her nails! I think most client's think it looks easy and doing something like this will make them realise just how good you are so chin up :hug:

Suzanne1118 is absolutley right! Dont worry, she'll be back !
I think we all know this problem, and understand how you feel, as well as our professional products being available to the public! What makes my blood boil is the awful ' stick on' sets you find in the likes of chemists! The are SO dangerous and damaging! Ive always wanted to start a protest !

be paitent sweetheart she will come back to you.:biggrin:

If they're not getting it from ebay, they're getting it from professionals. One of my fellow nail professionals at the salon told me she ran into an old nail colleague of hers the other day. This colleague told her that her teenage daughter is running a Shellac business for her high school friends from their home after school.

Who bought her the product with her professional license? Who taught her how to apply Shellac? Her mother, a nail professional. I'd say "A nail professional just like us," but I don't think she's just like us.

I'm a professional and there isn't anything professional about her behavior.

gggrrr just wanted to get this off my chest, had a client who i do shellac for, text me today asking the name and number of the shellac glitter i use on her bcos her friend likes her nails and wants to get them done (not with me someone else!) and was asking how i apply it before or after the topcoat, for gods sake i am a professional, how can she have the cheek to ask me about products and application techniques, and its not any benefit to me, shes obviousley buying shellac off ebay, and doing them herself, and my client just blatenley lied to me! ebay shouldnt be selling to public surely???

In answer to this, I don't think you have to be a professional anymore to buy Shellac. It was being sold to everybody at the trade show (not all who go are trained professionals) Also on a recent nail course I attended, Not by CND, several of the girls were already buying and using Shellac and none of them were yet trained in any type of nail enhancement. A friend of mine who Is CND trained had to pay to go on a course for Shellac, and now it is available to everyone. Crazy!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Jenny, I experienced the same thing. A friend of mine always booked a Mani-Q treatment. After her last appointment I hadn't seen her for over 6 weeks. So I've send her a message asking if everything was all right with her nails. Got no answer. A few days later I got a message with the question how long the second layer needs to be cured. :eek: Turns out she bought her self a UV-lamp and Mani-Q!!!! I've send her a message as a response that I am not willing to give her any information about that since she wanted to do it herself, so she could figure that out aswell. Another week or so later she called me crying out that 2 of her nails had gone green... well we all know what that is. She off course did not buy a cleaner (or used alcohol) before application, or do a proper preparation at all. At first I felt guilty not giving her at least some information about hygiene, but now I believe that if your client wants to do it herself so desperately then let them be. They'll turn around! One way or the other. :wink2:

Yeh i suppose what your all saying is right i suppose ive got to think of it as clients can buy normal nail polish whenever they want, but they still come to me for a professional paint! So hopefully the same with shellac, they will realise after having a go its not that easy! thanks guys x:wink2:

What makes my blood boil is the awful ' stick on' sets you find in the likes of chemists! The are SO dangerous and damaging! Ive always wanted to start a protest !

be paitent sweetheart she will come back to you.:biggrin:

A lady I know buys and uses these. When people say to her "ooh, I like your nails, where did you get them done?" She smiles broadly and says "I did them!"

Of course she did, THEY'RE STICK ONS!!!

The same lady asked me if I would train her to do acrylics as she couldn't afford to get them done and maintain them, I smiled sweetly and said "I can but you wouldn't get a recognised certificate, you won't be able to buy the quality products I use as it's a pro only site, I charge £45 per hour and it takes more than an hours training to get sets like mine hun". She hasn't mentioned it since. I have also given her some info on nail training courses, but if she won't spend a little money getting me to show her the basics, she's not going to spend thousands on a course to learn properly is she??

It's people like this who annoy me too as well as the ones who think it's that easy they can go and buy from Billy Bob Joe and crack on. They will be back eventually, you just have to make it easy for them to do so without them feeling embarrassed (not easy I know) but it's only because we MAKE it look easy!

xx

Just look on youtube and you'll see a large number of people doing tutorials using shellac and these are just a small minority of non-professionals using it! I don't for one second believe these people "will be back" to get a professional job.

Clients using pro products is not unique. Determined Clients can get hold of anything if they really want to no matter how hard we try to keep things pro and exclusive to pros ....

Many nail companies don't even try to keep products pro-use only so some will always get their mits on a brand they want. Gel polishes are already available to buy from a number of places. Unfortunately it is one of those things that we have to put up with ... good techs are are still busy and always will be.

I don't understand why it is being sold on ebay... i thought you could only buy from CND/sweet squared.

I have seen the products purchased from there.. my client bought them in to show me! She will be doing her own nails from now on as she says it's cheaper for her to simply purchase and use them herself. It is very disheartening when you pride yourself on being a professional and such products are intended for professional use, yet so readily available.

I can't see the difference in what she has purchased to that which i invested in... at great expense, now having the complete range. The bottles are exactly the same, the product looks exactly the same, and whilst admittedly she does not have the CND lamp, as far as she is concerned 'it did the job'!! So, if they are genuine, how are they getting hold of them to sell on so readily?

Does anyone know if anything is done about those selling Shellac online, or will it soon be sold everywhere anyway? Am feeling a bit miffed by it.

Thanks... sorry to waffle, repeat etc, advice welcome.:sad:

gggrrr just wanted to get this off my chest, had a client who i do shellac for, text me today asking the name and number of the shellac glitter i use on her bcos her friend likes her nails and wants to get them done (not with me someone else!) and was asking how i apply it before or after the topcoat, for gods sake i am a professional, how can she have the cheek to ask me about products and application techniques, and its not any benefit to me, shes obviousley buying shellac off ebay, and doing them herself, and my client just blatenley lied to me! ebay shouldnt be selling to public surely???

In answer to this, I don't think you have to be a professional anymore to buy Shellac. It was being sold to everybody at the trade show (not all who go are trained professionals) Also on a recent nail course I attended, Not by CND, several of the girls were already buying and using Shellac and none of them were yet trained in any type of nail enhancement. A friend of mine who Is CND trained had to pay to go on a course for Shellac, and now it is available to everyone. Crazy!!

A trade show should be for professionals only, hence why its sold there.
You dont need enhancement training to purchase Shellac from legal distributors, just a manicure qualification and the training isnt compulsory, just recommended.
Many products bought and sold on ebay by pro-only brands like CND are Fake, many are stolen and many redirected stock, all of which is illegal.

Take a look at how many PRO's take classes to get the best from their Shellac, they wont have the issues the DIYers will have.

Polish is available to everyone but doesnt stop people coming to the salon still.
Most that DIY will come back as they want their nails to look like a professional job and a nice experience, most wont be able to do this themselves.

I don't understand why it is being sold on ebay... i thought you could only buy from CND/sweet squared.

Perhaps a teeny tiny minority are being greedy and buying at our prices and grossly inflating to sell on fleabay? Don't know - never looked but it's a thought....

Perhaps a teeny tiny minority are being greedy and buying at our prices and grossly inflating to sell on fleabay? Don't know - never looked but it's a thought....

Well Done - this is exactly what is happening... and how the hell do you control that. I heard a Shellac Rack sold for £45 ... CRAZY!! Especially when we will have 3 different ones next year around show time... people do get greedy... but it is impossible to track everyone... I ignore FleaBay completely... HATE the place!:smack:

Apparently my CND tutor told me that there are many fake shellac products that are identical going around the Internet!!!! But the product itself is really bad! If they are not buying officially ( which they won't be) chances are they are fake and they could really damage their nails doing it themselves! If it happens to me I am just going to tell them i'm not offering them any instructions for insurance reasons. I'll also say they need strict training and H&S qualifications to do professional nails and i advise against them doing it and if they don't listen - Well good luck to them xx

I suppose in a weird sort of way ... We should be flattered there is so much interest in Shellac ... It raises awareness of the brand, that is for sure!! Stay positive.

There is only one genuine Shellac ... The customers keep coming so we are very happy!

As far as this post is concerned, I have never read such uninformed crappola! Lol

Shellac was not being sold to everybody at the trade show and in fact S2 turned customers away from the stand.
People could buy gel polishes everywhere at the show they didn't have to queue for two hours at the S2 stand if that was what they wanted. :lol:

As far as untrained girls in nail enhancements buying Shellac. ... Sigh :rolleyes: ... One does not need to know how to apply any type of enhancement to know how to POLISH! Holding a certificate in manicure only is sufficient and every potential customer has to prove they have the correct qualifications to be able to purchase Shellac. Why would someone need to be trained in enhancements?

Shellac is by no means available to 'everyone' and your friend did the smart thing getting genuine education from the genuine suppliers of the genuine product .. She certainly showed some good sense in doing so.

Latest posts

Back