Clients cancelling via text

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhiannon1408

Reaction score
Hi geeks,

I recently went mobile from renting a room in a hair salon. I had 2 appointments booked in for this Wednesday, both Shellac manicures and both of them have text me today to cancel their appointments.

One is a very loyal client, she does change her appointments a lot but she's a good client, always writes nice things on my Facebook page and spends quite a bit with me. The other was a new client.

My question is how do you stop clients texting you when you only use a mobile number? I would never text to cancel an appointment, I think it's really rude!

Also what do I reply to the new client who has given me no reason for cancelling her appointment?

I'm really upset :( not had this problem before as my clients used to call the salon to rearrange appointments.
Rhiannon x

This is one of the down sides of being mobile.
I take 90% of my bookings through text and so if anyone cancels or changes an appointment it would be through text.
There isnt really much you can say to be honest.
If they re-book you could then ask them to give you at least 24 hours notice if they need to cancel.
x

Hi Rhiannon

Unfortunately if you use a mobile number for business, clients will feel that they can text you and some probably don't even realise that this offends you.

I think a lot of people text more now in general as its quicker and easier. However, it is also an easy way out for cancellations.
Theres not a lot you can say but usually when this happens, I reply with

"hi mrs smith, thankyou for letting me know about the cancellation. Im sorry to hear you can't make it. Would you like to re arrange?."

If you don't want to text, call the client and explain that you contact clients by telephone call only. Hth xx

Thank you both. I'm totally in panic mode, I guess I'll just have to get used to the texting :(

I'm also worried as my ex land lady was a total cow and I know from when her staff have left she will be slagging me off left right and centre.

When I rang the new client to tell her I was going mobile she was really excited about her appointment as she had seen my work on a friend of hers. So I'm worried she's been to the salon and she's been put off by what my ex land lady has said(she works as a hair stylist there)

Rhiannon x

I wouldnt worry Rhiannon.
There may be a simple explanation. If she is easily put off by some busy-body leaking poison, then she is not the type of client you need.
x

I wouldnt worry Rhiannon.
There may be a simple explanation. If she is easily put off by some busy-body leaking poison, then she is not the type of client you need.
x

Thank you, I think I worry too much. I haven't text her back yet so when I do in the morning I will ask if she wants to reschedule and see what she says.
Rhiannon x

Thank you both. I'm totally in panic mode, I guess I'll just have to get used to the texting :(

I'm also worried as my ex land lady was a total cow and I know from when her staff have left she will be slagging me off left right and centre.

When I rang the new client to tell her I was going mobile she was really excited about her appointment as she had seen my work on a friend of hers. So I'm worried she's been to the salon and she's been put off by what my ex land lady has said(she works as a hair stylist there)

Rhiannon x

I can relate to this...I had the same thing when I left my old salon and I agonised over clients cancelling wondering if they had heard some rubbish from my previous position.
I also had a "friend" I practiced nails on when I was training who told everyone that would listen that they were "rubbish."
Thankfully that didn't dent my reputation and I now have loyal clientelle which speaks for itself.

Try not to worry about it, get your name out there with existing clients and maybe run a "refer a friend" scheme as word of mouth tends to be the best form of advertising IMHO. Xx

I would never cancel or try to book an appointment by text. I always imagine what my dentist would do if I text to say I couldn't make it. However, there have been times during super duper busy periods when the phone hasn't stopped ringing, it's during those times I'm grateful for those clients who contact via text. They always say that they text incase I'm with a client and then I can get back to them when I get chance... Quite considerate really.
I think you'll get used to it the busier you get. Just don't let your own standards slip next time you try and book a Doctors app. Lol x

Awww don't worry about it!
I had a lady text the night before to cancel but she's rearranged for next week but she let me know in time so I don't mind. Also if they are cancelling late at night a text is more 'sociable' than calling up I suppose.

i have to say as i am in the same position that it doesnt bother me if clients want to book or cancel via text as if my phone keeps ringing how will i get any work done lol!!

also as we are all so busy these days ppl can text when they are at work but not call ppl so easier for them xx

I wouldn't mind someone cancelling via text (at least they've let me know) but I would not communicate on prices, bookings and availability via text, I prefer the old fashioned way I.e talking!

Thanks ladies I think I'll just have to get used to it. I much prefer the old fashion way of having a conversation though!
Rhiannon x

I don't see the problem.

I text all of my clients to confirm their appointment, usually the day before and they all text back to confirm, but some will cancel.

I suppose I don't mind them cancelling by text because I am the one that has texted them in the first place.

Believe me, you'll be glad they send a text when you're really busy, because it's so handy and you will never get no shows.

I am contactable by phone/ text/ email/ through my website/ my Facebook persona/ my Facebook group AND my Facebook page!
Oh yes and even face to face!

In this day and age people use all sorts of methods of communication and I will happily accept a booking through whatever means! Unfortunately it does also mean cancellations but I would prefer a cancellation via text than just not turning up.

xx

A lot of my clients text me for appointments or to cancel. To be honest I much prefer it. I can reply as soon as is convenient and can check back in case of any mistake with bookings. It's definitely the way of the world now.

At least she cancelled and didn't just not show up. That's rude.

Actually I quite like texts for making appts too, quick and convenient, I don't have a problem with it. x

Me too, I advise all my clients on their first visit that if they want to contact me that they can ring (if it goes to ansa, I'll ring them back as soon as I'm free), text or email. I'm with clients most of the day so have to rely on the time in between clients or at the end of the day to reply to them. I don't want them getting fed up of trying to contact me and not getting a reply.

I don't mind a client texting me, at least they've bothered to let you know! BUT.. I have a few clients, one being last night, who text me late at night, gone 10pm! I just think that's rude.. Any idea how i can say to these clients with out sounding rude that it's not acceptable to text at this time of the day?! A few have texted 7am on a Sunday! I find it odd as theres no way i would contact my hairdresser out of hours!

I don't mind a client texting me, at least they've bothered to let you know! BUT.. I have a few clients, one being last night, who text me late at night, gone 10pm! I just think that's rude.. Any idea how i can say to these clients with out sounding rude that it's not acceptable to text at this time of the day?! A few have texted 7am on a Sunday! I find it odd as theres no way i would contact my hairdresser out of hours!

I don't think they expect a reply at that sort of time. They are pleasantly surprised when they do and if not they will expect a text when it is convenient for you. I had a text last night at 9pm but since she was my first ever client and has been so loyal I don't mind texting her back as its usually a time & a day and she says ok :)

Sometimes people text at odd hours so they don't forget to contact you x

I don't think they expect a reply at that sort of time. They are pleasantly surprised when they do and if not they will expect a text when it is convenient for you. I had a text last night at 9pm but since she was my first ever client and has been so loyal I don't mind texting her back as its usually a time & a day and she says ok :)

Sometimes people text at odd hours so they don't forget to contact you
x

I agree.

Rosycheeks, if the text arriving wakes/disturbs you, maybe turn off the sound of the message alert? Can't think of a way round it otherwise. x

Latest posts

Back