Client's child smashed mirror

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lee7smith

Reaction score
So I've just got home from my last client and whist there her daughter knocked over and smashed the mirror of my portable salon . At first she said let me know the cost and we can sort it out , then when I told her it was around £50 she then said she was only willing to pay £30 towards it . I'm not sure what to say or do as it wasn't me that broke it although it was an accident
. How would you word it in a letter to get some if not all of the money back . It will now affect my work the next few days as I don't have a mirror :(
I thought it would be best to forward a letter with the bill ??

I personally would tell her that she needs to pay the full amount to replace the mirror unless she wants to also pay out for loss of earnings due to you not having the equipment to do your job :) I'm sure if you broke something of hers then she would want the full amount back, why should you pay for a mirror you didn't break?

Those were my thoughts too - if I broke her nice vase with my heavy case I'm sure she would want the full amount . She kept saying 'I can't afford £50 as I don't work at the minute' luckily my clients will understand I don't have a mirror for a few days but I won't be able to see properly doing a nice even cut .

Its just the principle! Does she think because she can't afford it (bearing in mind she can still afford to have her hair done) you should have to cover the cost? Even if she paid £30 and you paid the remaining £20, once you knock that £20 off what her appointment cost I'm sure it definitely wasn't worth your time! Maybe suggest she pays £30 this month and £20 next month?

My issue then is she might ignore me and I might not even get £30 . I know it's not a great huge amount but £50 is still £50 down for me .

Can you not just take a small cheap mirror around for the mean time? (I know that's not the point but at least you'll have a mirror)

Also how did her daughter break it? And why was she allowed to touch your stuff?

Xx

Btw she was kitting the kids out in next clothes online while I was there and talking about horse riding the next day ..

My issue then is she might ignore me and I might not even get £30 . I know it's not a great huge amount but £50 is still £50 down for me .

Sorry I do agree she should pay it, you should not be out of pocket for her daughter breaking your stuff xx

Yeah I can cope without it for a day or so .. Her daughter was prancing about in the kitchen while I was cutting her friends daughters hair and. I was layering the front section with my back to the mirror . The young girl I was cutting then said 'watch out' that's when it fell . (she is 10)

Hubby said take £30. But send her a letter with the bill and see what happens ... Not sure what I will write yet ..

I would just send her a a firm, yet professional letter with an invoice explaining you would like the full amount covered for the broken mirror within x amount of days or weeks otherwise you will be taking the matter further.

At the end of the she is responsable for her child and she should have not let her daughter near your equipment, so she should pay the full amount or buy you a new mirror to the same standard.

It might be a good idea to include proof of how much it cost etc, so she cant say you are trying to ripping her off!

Yes I am waiting for another mirror now and will forward her the invoice bill .

Gut feeling is yes hold out for the £50... on the other hand she'll never use you again so how much do you need her business and is she likely to badmouthe you? How much business could you loose as a result? Annoying but something you need to consider...

Gut feeling is yes hold out for the £50... on the other hand she'll never use you again so how much do you need her business and is she likely to badmouthe you? How much business could you loose as a result? Annoying but something you need to consider...

To be honest Im sick of people on here saying they too scared to take action against clients in case they 'bad mouth' them.

If someone is going to bad mouth you, they will do it regardless how professional you are towards them, or if you refund them, give them a free treatment or let them off paying the remaining £20 towards a mirror their child broke, they will still complian as that is the way they are wired...

I think that if client is going to bad mouth her she will do it regardless whether she takes the £30 or holds out for £50!

And if she can afford to book the OP again the she can afford to pay her the money she owes.

Last edited:
Hi Louise , can you please send me your email address and I can forward you on the receipt invoice regarding the broken mirror for today so you can see the cost. The insurance doesn't cover for it I'm afraid, i know accidents can happen but i hope we can resolve this. Thanks - ...mobile hair design.

Hi Louise , can you please send me your email address and I can forward you on the receipt invoice regarding the broken mirror for today so you can see the cost. The insurance doesn't cover for it I'm afraid, i know accidents can happen but i hope we can resolve this. Thanks - ...mobile hair design.

I would also add a date when you would like payment by....

I sent this as a text which I will put a professional yet firm letter with dates etc . I'm not worried about not doing her hair again as I always feel a tad uncomfortable for some reason around her .

I sent this as a text which I will put a professional yet firm letter with dates etc . I'm not worried about not doing her hair again as I always feel a tad uncomfortable for some reason around her .

I was going to say that perhaps you should just accept what she offers if she is a good client as you don't want to fall out with her but if you don't mind losing her then go for it, every penny!! Hope it works out

I would personally - I(know it's expensive) but send it to her a proper letter -and get recorded delivery. So it's signed for and can be proved she received it.

She could claim she didn't receive your text, or an email. But a recorded delivery letter, she's going to have problems disproving.

How rude, I'm sure Mr Tesco wouldn't accept £30 for her kid knocking over a mirror in their store. Neither should you.

Good luck.

Actually - Mr Tesco couldn't charge you for your kid knocking over a mirror. its their job as a store to keep their good protected and if it is out and available for accidents to happen to it, tough. Its why a lot of shops with ornaments etc keep them locked away so they cant get knocked over. Just sayin' :lol:

Latest posts

Back