Clients during Covid-19 outbreak?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stella1981

Reaction score
Has anyone had clients cutting their own hair, husband, kids hair etc and wanting advice and also tips. I would usually be reluctant to give advice on a gents barber as they will want praise for the botched job that they have exicuted??? What would be the appropriate response for this? Thanks geeks.

Has anyone had clients cutting their own hair, husband, kids hair etc and wanting advice and also tips. I would usually be reluctant to give advice on a gents barber as they will want praise for the botched job that they have exicuted??? What would be the appropriate response for this? Thanks geeks.
I understand where you're coming from, I've had clients message and ask can they buy a box dye etc... I've also had clients send pictures of their kids where the parents have shaven the kids hair clean off.
By no means will they ever be able to recreate what we create with our scissors.
But if it saves the poor children from getting a skin head, then maybe just offer basic advice, like reccomend a 3 on the sides and trim the top for example or even using a larger guard on the clippers for the top, something that isn't too drastic, something that will help keep their hair looking tidy, but still something that won't take us weeks or months to correct.
It's such a difficult situation and it's hard to have the right answer. I'm not even sure if there is a right answer in these situations....

Last edited:
With children, I will strongly recommend they use clippers with a guard, rather than household scissors and suggest what size clipper guard to use.
Children can be wriggly and goodness knows how many times I’ve been cut when my own son was a toddler and was scared of the noise of the clippers. I used to hate cutting his fringe especially. :(

I understand where you're coming from, I've had clients message and ask can they buy a box dye etc... I've also had clients send pictures of their kids where the parents have shaven the kids hair clean off.
By no means will they ever be able to recreate what we create with our scissors.
But if it saves the poor children from getting a skin head, then maybe just offer basic advice, like reccomend a 3 on the sides and Tim the top for example or even using a larger guard on the clippers for the top, something that isn't too drastic, something that will help keep their hair looking tidy, but still something that won't take us weeks or months to correct.
It's such a difficult situation and it's hard to have the right answer. I'm even sure if there is a right answer in these situations....
Have you heard its going to be another 6 month's it ridiculous all this and no help from government, well there is but need to pay it back [emoji17]so fed up

Don’t be disheartened. Denmark are allowing hair and beauty salons to open. The Sun newspaper as always reports and we should all wait to see what the government say. It’s a story to them but our livelihoods. Stay strong x

Have you heard its going to be another 6 month's it ridiculous all this and no help from government, well there is but need to pay it back
emoji17.png
so fed up
Don't believe everything you read on the sun website or papers, just as any newspaper they have to have a story to print..... They can't have a blank space in the paper - bacause it wouldn't sell.
So even if it means making sh*t up to put in there, that's what they'll do.
I'm also a bit fed up, but I'm using this time to do online training and working on plans to go self employed.
We all have goals that I'm sure we can work on, and if we don't.... Maybe it's a good time to set some.
Stay focused, stay positive, stay safe :)

Is anyone feeling pressured by clients asking to do 'secret' appointments ? I've been asked a few times now and say no everytime but they don't give up !!

Is anyone feeling pressured by clients asking to do 'secret' appointments ? I've been asked a few times now and say no everytime but they don't give up !!
Yeah I've had a few, even people who are not clients at our salon!
I had someone offering to pay 3 times what they pay at the salon for me to go and cut their hair.
Obviously I declined.
But it's frustrating because I know the Turkish barbers are still cutting hair in their home, and there's a mobile hairdresser around the area who's still working!

Last edited:
We had a local boy who has been furloughed by the barber he worked for. He was doing hair cuts at home. The police turned up and fined him and the client £60 each. We are all hanging in there and struggling. It’s so important to stand together and say no politely to these requests. I am offended by them.

In Eastbourne here, all the pixie cut flatheads in their 70's have been having the hair cut during the lockdown. The hair in the neck is so short and the hair has been cut around the ears with shaped points. In the time salons have been shut their hair should of grown over their ears. What is up with these people? Their age group are more at risk at getting coronavirus it really annoys me that they are so selfish. I have a lot of ladies in my salon that come in every week or fortnightly ranging from 71 - 93 years for blowdrys or shampoo and sets. A lot of them have told me they can't get their arms up to wash their hair or style it. I feel so sorry for them. They are waiting so patiently until we reopen.

I can understand men or children getting their haircut by their wives or mums. The same with people cutting their fringes that I can understand.

I imagine if they have paid carers or adult children visiting them, they probably use clippers and cut it? Sadly, a high proportion of infections are within the care industry and care homes are particularly adversely affected.

It’s obviously very risky for a hairdresser to still be cutting hair as you are stood very close to the client.

I’ve seen that a lot of people don’t understand how contagious the virus is and think that they’ll be fine if no-one coughs directly on them. It’s also thought likely that people who are asymptomatic (that is not displaying any symptoms of the virus but still being infectious), can still pass on the virus.

If anyone’s interested here’s the story of ‘Typhoid Mary’.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-52291327

Latest posts

Back