Clients from NSS

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deni_Rayne

Reaction score
Hi All,

This is the first time posting here! I'm in need of some advice please...

I'm training in Acrylic Enhancements and most of my clients are coming from a local NSS. I'm glad that I am able to provide a safer service for these ladies but I have a few issues that i'm not sure how to tackle.

1. Their natural nails are very thin from the incorrect use of e-files which sometimes makes them pull away when i'm very carefully and gently prepping. I've even been asked to not prep once! So, I was wondering if I can use a 240 grit to prep these girls? (I was taught to prep with a 180).

2. I'm not actually sure if its safe to work on some of them but I don't want to refuse them unnecessarily as they will only go back to the previous place to avoid being turned away. Does anyone have any damage limit where they refuse to work until the damage has grown out? If so how do you determine if the nail is too damaged for further work? How do you let them know you cant work on them?

3. The set's I have been doing on these girls don't last very well at all but anyone who's come to me with healthy natural nails has never popped a nail or even had lifting. Are there any top tips for working on a short nail bed with previous damage to prolong the wear?

4. I think many of the girls pull at lifting and pick acrylics off causing even further damage to the natural nails. How do you persuade your client's not to do this? Do you offer free removals or let them know how to remove safely themselves?

Sorry a bit long! Thanks all in advance :)

1. Their natural nails are very thin from the incorrect use of e-files which sometimes makes them pull away when i'm very carefully and gently prepping. I've even been asked to not prep once! So, I was wondering if I can use a 240 grit to prep these girls? (I was taught to prep with a 180).

Even if using a 240 file be sure to only buff the healthy nail. The areas which are red, damaged and thin have already been over filed and you will not need to do so again.

2. I'm not actually sure if its safe to work on some of them but I don't want to refuse them unnecessarily as they will only go back to the previous place to avoid being turned away. Does anyone have any damage limit where they refuse to work until the damage has grown out? If so how do you determine if the nail is too damaged for further work? How do you let them know you cant work on them?

Sometimes you have to turn clients away. This is an ideal time to educate them why their nails are damaged and use it as an opportunity to get them to have an alternative treatment such as IBX, regular manicures or retail them cuticle oil, nail strengtheners etc

3. The set's I have been doing on these girls don't last very well at all but anyone who's come to me with healthy natural nails has never popped a nail or even had lifting. Are there any top tips for working on a short nail bed with previous damage to prolong the wear?

As professionals we have to ensure our clients have realistic expectations. Unlike the average NSS our products are designed to come off the nail when knocked etc instead of ripping the natural nail from the bed.
Our products may not adhere as well to a severely damaged, thinned, nail plate, so always warn them of this. Tell them because of the damaged caused by their previous salon you cannot guarantee their nails but you will help them to get their nails healthy and beautiful again.

4. I think many of the girls pull at lifting and pick acrylics off causing even further damage to the natural nails. How do you persuade your client's not to do this? Do you offer free removals or let them know how to remove safely themselves?

Again education, education, education. Explain how damaging their actions are. Explain the importance of getting damaged nails repaired quickly to avoid infections (greenies). Never give freebies. Clients don't respect things or people when they don't have to pay.

If you have clients with healthy nails who don't have lifting then you know you're doing something right. Don't let clients who know no better, effect your confidence in yourself or your products, and as before, educate them. At each step of your treatment explain what you're doing, why, and how their damage has been caused. They've made the first step of coming to you rather than returning to their NSS so you're half way there already :)

Sometimes you have to turn clients away. This is an ideal time to educate them why their nails are damaged and use it as an opportunity to get them to have an alternative treatment such as IBX, regular manicures or retail them cuticle oil, nail strengtheners etc

Thank you, this is really helpful!

I've been looking into IBX and it looks like a great treatment so far.... However, can it be used underneath enhancements such as acrylics with the same prep after applying or will this cause lifting?

Some of my clients are late teens and unfortunately beautiful looking long nails will definitely prioritise over healthy natural nails!

I'm hoping to offer the best of both worlds where possible :)

Thank you, this is really helpful!

I've been looking into IBX and it looks like a great treatment so far.... However, can it be used underneath enhancements such as acrylics with the same prep after applying or will this cause lifting?

IBX is a wonderfully effective treatment for natural nails and under gel polish. It wouldn't cause lifting under acrylic however it wouldn't offer any real benefit either as it has a cumulative effect so needs to be applied regularly to get maximum benefit.

I have a new client who has come to me from an NSS swore she had gel enhancements on but it tuned out to be acrylic (surprise surprise!) and when we soaked it off her nails were in a terrible condition. She's had 3 appointments with me now using IBX and Shellac and we're actually struggling for her to get 2 weeks out of it. She's converted though and determined to stick with it and have healthy nails, so I suspect we will have to wait until most of the damage has grown out.

Latest posts

Back