Clients getting younger for wanting treatments

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Annemarie

CND Grand Master tech
Reaction score
I had a lady call into the salon today asking if I could wax her daughters eyebrows. Her daughter is 11 years old. A few weeks ago a client brought her 12 year old daughter in and asked if I would tint her eyelashes.
I mean 11 for an eyebrow wax?
I declined but offered to pluck them instead. She left my salon and I presume she went to try somewhere else.
My question is this: Do you think clients wanting beauty treatments are getting younger? Where do we draw the line?:|

Its a shame but it is a fact that children are certainly not children for very long anymore.I think you have to look at an individual situation if you are looking at an 11 year old with a mono brow that she is going to get bullied and teased about, you may want to do it.If its a child wanting an HD brow style you wouldn't.
I have done legs,eyebrows,underarms and outside costume bikinis on the very young but I won't do upper lips,faces and chins.To be honest what's the difference between using tweezers and wax the method maybe different the outcome the same.

Its a shame but it is a fact that children are certainly not children for very long anymore.I think you have to look at an individual situation if you are looking at an 11 year old with a mono brow that she is going to get bullied and teased about, you may want to do it.If its a child wanting an HD brow style you wouldn't.
I have done legs,eyebrows,underarms and outside costume bikinis on the very young but I won't do upper lips,faces and chins.

Yes I can see where your coming from, but don't you think 11 is too young for a wax? I wouldn't of felt comfortable doing it. I've never been asked to wax anyone that young before and I've been waxing for 15 years.

At 11 my eyebrows were like bushes! I'd definitely do them at that age, but no younger, as 11 is the start of secondary school.

The children I have done have Been friends children.I waxed my own daughter at probably about 11 and my son has had his eyebrows done from about 14.
Of course insurance comes into it in general.Ive avoided doing anyone I don't know.

Its funny how we think children in the uk are too young for these things but in france most girl start full body waxing around the age of 11. I would have waxed, threaded or plucked the brows but as said above i wouldnt have tinted shaped and finished them like hd brows. Also i would accept clients whose daughters were under 16 wanting say a leg wax but i wouldnt accept anything under 11 for this treatment and i would clear it with my insurance first. I think there is a huge potentail for this market of young adults and we need to be more accepting of it and insurers need to understand the impact it may have on clients whl cant have these treatments because of their age.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek

I remember having a bikini wax when i was 11/12 as i was quite hairy and my hairs naturally jet black. I was going on holiday and was self concious, my mum came with me dropped me off and picked me up. I think if the parents agree then no problem, i also went from brown to blonde hair from the age of 11, had acrylic nails and got my first tattoo at 13!! X

I had a rush on of 11 year old girls from a nearby village - another girl had taken to bullying them on Facebook because of their mono brows (nice!). I do the minimum, and I'm quite comfortable with it. With things like tanning, I'll do it from a young age, but not topless - I have been asked, but refused. I also make a parent stay in the room at all times!

i think we need to take a step back and look at the client as an individual and why is she wanting that treatment? was she particularly hairy and maybe children being what they are this was making her feel selfconscious or maybe even teased at school? Because that was me....at 11 i had hair everywhere and lots of it and dark, legs, eyebrows you name it, i also was the first to grow boobs and start my periods so was feeling very self conscious and yes was teased. Eventually i got my mums razor and shaved everywhere!!! just something to think about...i understand it seems young but its just the society we now live in xx

I must be old fashioned. hehe. But as I said I wouldn't feel comfortable waxing a child as young as 11. My own daughter is 10 and I wouldn't wax her. I just don't feel it's right somehow. Now plucking I wouldn't have a problem with.
I think one of my main concerns is whether skin as young as this would be too sensitive for waxing iygwim.
Also it is an age thing I guess and yes children can develop and grow hair from a young age, but how young is too young?

My daughter who was 12 at the time asked me to wax her mustache. I told her no, as I didn't think she needed it. Upon closer inspection, she did need it! She had black hairs sprouting from her upper lip! I was very surprised but I also didn't want her to be bullied so I waxed it. She is 14 now, and I still do her upper lip and also her brows. I wish my mom would have done these things for me when I was younger. I had a unibrow that should have been waxed!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using SalonGeek

I'm sorry but unless the child is a hairy beast I still don't agree. But this is just my opinion by the way. A child as young as 9 can begin puberty I certainly wouldn't wax them. They are children. Where do we draw the line on this?

I'm sorry but unless the child is a hairy beast I still don't agree. But this is just my opinion by the way. A child as young as 9 can begin puberty I certainly wouldn't wax them. They are children. Where do we draw the line on this?

I do agree but if your really hairy at the age of 11 and none of your friends are it can really affect your confidence, school life everything!

I like to keep above the age of 14 for waxing but I will try and persuade the child and parent towards threading. Anyone younger I would look at the individual situation but would only thread on the face.

My daughter is 9 and was being badly bullied for her mono brow.
I wax it regularly now and it's literally just the middle and I trim them. There's no shaping involved. Anyone who tells me I shouldn't should have seen my daughter in tears at being bullied!
I've had girls come to me at 11/12 for shaping and I say no. If they say they just want them under control I'll happily do it (obviously with a parent present and full consultation) as I'd rather prevent bullying that leave them to pluck their own brows to death!!

I know girls who have spray tans/nails/highlights (not by me) and its totally over the top.
however if theres a genuine reason for a treatment then there's no problem in my opinion.

I think kids grow up too quickly and I do my best to prevent this but I judge each girl on their individual issues to help them decide if its something they WANT or NEED as they are 2 different things.
I'd like to think others would also use their common sense in these cases.

because i think a child of 11 is at high school and appearances can make or break (unfortunately) your time there. That for me would be the difference and where i was trying to explain each client as an individual. A hairy 11 year old at high school is much different to a hairy 9/10 year old at primary school but that is just me and we each have the chance to do what we feel is right and what we are comfortable with.

Puberty does begin a rite of passage and depending on the issue, I would consider individual cases. My son is 9 and has face wash to get him into a good routine after I noticed a couple of blackheads. Some of his classmates use deodorant as well. As for girls, I would help those with unruly brows as it is awful to stand out. I would not do it for fashion but for self esteem issues. Gently does it - you also get them trained in looking after their appearance without them desperately using Dad's razor.

Latest posts

Back