Clients - how can I upsell?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beautyandme

Reaction score
Hi

I was wandering how do you get clients to have another treatment.

i.e, your doing a facial, and your client really could do with an eyebrow shape.

i.e your doing an eyebrow shape and you notice that your client has a hairy top lip.

i.e your doing a massage, your client could do with an exfoliating treatment or a pedicure.

or your client comes in with scary makeup, and you would like to show them how to apply makeup correct.

How do you encourage your client to have another treatment which is beneficial? Without sounding rude.

Whats the best way to tell them that they need something else doing????

thanks

Hi

i.e, your doing a facial, and your client really could do with an eyebrow shape.

i.e your doing an eyebrow shape and you notice that your client has a hairy top lip.

i.e your doing a massage, your client could do with an exfoliating treatment or a pedicure.

or your client comes in with scary makeup, and you would like to show them how to apply makeup correct.

How do you encourage your client to have another treatment which is beneficial? Without sounding rude.

thanks

i would approach it almost as you have above ie: you notice your client could do with an exfoliating treatment. i would ask them if they have a routine etc, and promote from there.Sometimes clients are'nt even aware that some treatments exsist!
The only no no is facial hair (apart from eyebrows). i would never ask a client if she had considered waxing etc a top lip, as sometimes they are not that aware of it, or you may give them a complex (ie they have polycystics and you didnt know).
Hths xx

I think I would probably say something like "there's a promotion on at the moment whereby you can try another treatment at half price . . . is there anything you've ever wondered about trying, it might be a good time"

Great thread - I try and bring other treatments into a general conversation or try and talk about what other treatments they may need. There is a fine line between cross selling and the clients feeling uncomfortable because of a pushy sales person so I will always try and avoid being too pushy.

Try not to be too hung up on being the pushy sales person.

Remember that you are the beauty expert and it is more than likely you are recommending products and treatments that your client will find beneficial.

There is not a great deal of point in spending an hour of your time doing a facial treatment which helps the clients skin and then letting her leave to use the products she has selected on the basis that 'it smells nice'.

Give your client an extra service by recommending her the correct product to use. She will thank you in the long run.

Try not to think of it as upselling, try to think about what your client needs and what your client will enjoy.

Jo
Beauty products | Beauty Therapy | Professional Treatments | Beauty Supplies- Moorspa.co.uk

Thanks for the replies.

My original questions wasnt about selling them products to take home.

But how to make them aware that other treatments could be beneficial to the way they look.

You know if you were doing a facial and their eyebrows were all over the place, and you know that a brow shape would make them look better.

How do you tell them they need one, without offending them???

How do you go about telling your clients

sometimes i do facials with a free eyebrow trim included and i just ask em if they want to go ahead and have it , most do coz it doesnt cost em anything , then you can do the whole "ooh that really brings out your eyes " :lol: after that they usually keep up to it :green:

Thanks Dee, good idea.

You do just mean with a pair of scissors??, not a full on shape

sorry no i meant with tweezers , when i say trim i mean take the stragglers away , not a full shape ,i should have said tidy instead ,lol hth :green:

I did a thread about this a while ago in the biz section about 'freebies'.

Some disagreed that giving away freebies cheapened the salon but it was more about sampling.

If someone tries something for free and it has cost you very little - just your time then that time is well spent. (compare it with the cost of advertising then this is nothing)

You have your client in the door - make her feel appreciated by offering to tint her brows 'just to try - no cost' she will be hooked therefore you are increasing their spend. And she feels valued.

What is cheapening about that?

Hi

thanks
As a client (not a skin geek, i am a nail geek:)) the best way for me IMO:lol: is for the therapist to be friendly and personable..not one who is condescending..i dont want to be TOLD what i should be having..more just slip it into a light hearted conversation(somehow):). If i am told that i should have something done..without feeling a bond with the therapist..straight away i feel her agenda is making more money..its not about caring as much. In all honesty it does come down to how much money the client can afford..we all have more important things to outlay for (unfortunately). Some of us have scrimped and saved for a facial for a month,lol. I personally would not go for a facial while having a caterpillar on my lip:lol:..or just settle for a eyebrow wax rather than a lip..they would go hand in hand..no??
The other thing that does my head in is a therapist doing the hard sell of product upon every visit..i have no problem with the her explaining the benefits of the products she is using..but i do resent seeing them on the counter at pay time, if i haven't asked for them:irked:
I guess the best way of upselling is offering regular clients a VIP card eg. for a cost of au$6o.oo they recieve 10% off treatments/products? Or similair..if a brill job is done then the client is impressed..and knows its worth it.
Just as a last comment to my longest post ever:lol: is the last salon i changed for my 12 year olds waxing was because she insisted on telling me 3 times in a row of how much my daughters legs needed a $70 30ml bottle of cream for her dryness..with a tone of condescending..this from a grotty therapist of 18 who blew on her wax and didnt change the bedding..or include a toe wax with the half leg..who couldnt wax eyebrows evenly:rolleyes: Now i have found a much more proffesional salon, who do a fab job..without me needing to say a thing..and who dont try to sell anything to a 12 year old..and i am happy to pay more for thier service, because they go the extra mile and i trust thier judgement.

I did a thread about this a while ago in the biz section about 'freebies'.

Some disagreed that giving away freebies cheapened the salon but it was more about sampling.

If someone tries something for free and it has cost you very little - just your time then that time is well spent. (compare it with the cost of advertising then this is nothing)

You have your client in the door - make her feel appreciated by offering to tint her brows 'just to try - no cost' she will be hooked therefore you are increasing their spend. And she feels valued.

What is cheapening about that?
nothing whatsoever! For an example, i love mags that actually bother to slip in a sample of perfume..i often will buy it. Personally i think proving a quick service costs you hardly anything..but will convert a greatful client..like me!:) Its all about having faith in your work..and be willing to prove it.

Latest posts

Back