Clients, how to deal with them?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Hi, I’ve started working at a high end salon and had a couple of complaints one lady today said her lash extensions were to black and long even though I used the same length as her previous lashes as she also had a removal done by me. I also had another client last week nit picking at everything stage of her gel nails and complained at the end.

I’ve been in the beauty Industry for a few years now and never experienced complaints.

How does everyone deal with them?

Thanks

Spend extra time on consultations, especially with lashes. Then reinforce the consult expectations throughout.

Ive had some clients that cant make up their mind and will change it repeatedly throughout a service. Eg, this is one tan session:

Client: I want it light I like to be

Me: Mixing it up for her skin tone

Client: In tent ready to spray - It will be medium wont it? I like it medium

Me: No it will be light like you asked. Would you like me to change it to medium?

Client: yes

Me: All done

Client: Omg it WILL be dark wont it? I like to be really dark.

Me: To clarify, no. You said you wanted it light. Then I mixed it and you changed your mind to medium. I changed it for you. So it will be medium, as you requested and it will not be dark.

Client: Ohh.*leaves happy as larry and leaves me a nice review*

Sometimes..people are like that. Like do and say things on a whim. Some complain about nothing. Literally nothing. This nail here? Its a bit erm. Hm. Oh yes very hmm what would you like me to do about it?

Refer to what they ask for over and over.

At the end, whilst handing them the mirror say: ‘So today you asked me for x lashes in x style, so I have used x as requested. You look great! How do you feel? Have I met your expectations today? Is there anything you feel I can improve on.

That is the kind of service that prevents complaints. But even then, theres always a weirdo here and there, or a competitor with a jealous grudge so just get on with it and take it in your stride.

Hope this helps!

Agreeing with the comment above.. consultation is very important, and there should be a form or printed questionnaire that is attached to their lash appointment files/mapping. You can show this to them once they change their mind and give unnecessary comments or whatever.. Also, there will always be clients that can get in our nerves, but we still have to provide good customer service to them without compromising the quality of our lash work. You can break - up with clients too, especially if they're taking toll on you

I remember doing a clients hair once - it was a trim on a one length, just past shoulder length, fine hair. It couldn’t have been any easier. BUT I did it quickly (efficiently with precision I’d call it lol) It was Xmas and I was soo busy.
and when she got to the till she complained and refused to pay.
Basically I hadn’t ‘pampered’ her enough or given her the service she expected for what was then quite an expensive haircut. There wasn’t anything technically wrong with the haircut and it was blow dried fine but when people pay more they expect more for their money and may try and find fault with the smallest thing Your service needs to be top notch, even the smallest thing like making sure the clients handbag is not dumped in a floor somewhere - Every detail.
but communication is key wether it be information and showing your knowledge, giving them tailored advice for them,ask them about their home routine
admittedly I’d failed miserably to provide a good enough service on this occasion.
also it’s never easy taking on a new client either, make sure they know if there’s anything they would like you to dodifferently speak to you and you will rectify it and it’s not a problem at all and everyone’s preferences are different and we all do things differently. It’s early days, id usually give my staff 3 months to get grips of a new clientele and settle in and if you feel theres something that the salon seems to be doing differently then ask your boss for a training session. Your not expected to know everything.Best of luck

Thanks for your comments think I just need to try and brush things off a bit more. I do my best and put my all into treatments I guess some people are just super picky I’ve just not experienced so many in one place x

Latest posts

Back