Client's nail enhancements falling off after 48 hours!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beautiful-you

Reaction score
I had a new client 2 days ago who wanted nail extensions. She had warned me beforehand that every time she's had extensions in the past they've never lasted longer than 24 hours! (Spray Tanning also doesn't last very long in her. She says she has very oily skin). The only set of nails she had in the past that lasted were from a Vietnamese nail bar, but she hated them as they were so thick and her nails have taken months to recover since. So armed with this information I made absolute sure her nails were properly dehydrated and buffed so the tips and gel overlay would have the best chance of staying put. She's messaged me this evening to say that 5 "pinged" off this afternoon! She says that's good for her as it usually happens within a few hours and so just over 48 hours is an improvement! Obviously I don't feel happy about that and would like to try and give her a set of nails that will last, but don't really know what I can do differently. I have recently trained in Cuccio Powder Dip so wondered whether to try that as an alternative. Has anyone else had this problem before and if so, have you found a way around it? Could oily skin really be the reason they're not staying on? I know she's telling the truth and even though I've told her I'd like to offer another set free of charge, she says it's not my fault and she would expect to pay. She's really lovely and paid more than I asked for in the first place. Can anyone offer any advice please?

CND do a product for lift prone clients called nail fresh.

CND do a product for lift prone clients called nail fresh.

I'm not CND trained so wouldn't be able to use this. If I was just doing a gel polish I would use Cuccio's Fuse, but I'm not sure about using it prior to applying nail tips and hard gel, especially as I use a different brand of hard gel at the moment.

Firstly your client is quite right, it isn't your fault they didn't last and your certainly shouldn't be offering free treatments, you are in business after after all.

Extremely oily skin can cause product to lift but there are a few things you could try. After prepping all nails, dehydrate and apply your chosen primer/binder one nail at a time immediately prior to product application. this will add a little extra time onto your service.

Have you ever tried Young Nails Protein Bond? It's amazing for problem lifters and well worth a try.

Totally understand this happening, it happens to me every now and again too.

How I managed to get through this one is by taking the advice of a client I had many years ago who came to me with the exact same issue.

She asked me to do her gel sculpts, and said that they had to be much thicker than the usual to get them to stay on for two weeks.

Throughout the booking she asked me to apply more and more gel to the sculpts ( my version of thick gel was no where near what she knew she needed [emoji33][emoji1]).

Plenty of minor lifting (if you can call it that) on the first maintenance booking, though apparently this was normal and she was happy to still have nails still on - frightening as this sounds.

Second maintenance booking, no lifting.

On the third maintenance booking, she let me know that her nail extensions were now at their strongest.

I tried applying thicker gel on my own nails, worked for me too so I was really pleased.

When applying a thicker product, I found it was helpful to have my file and buff game on. A well shaped surface definitely distracts from the thickness.

If White to pink ratio is out of balance, and also zone balance / surface shape of Nail then extensions never look great, thickness of product enhances the faults above further.

It might not be the same for your client, though felt best to share, plus, if you don't try, you don't know.

I didn't like the idea of thicker product either, I always felt that thinker product would contribute to lifting if anything, and remember mentioning that to my client, however she knew the score completely so I'm glad I listened to her. Amazin' lady [emoji179]

Firstly your client is quite right, it isn't your fault they didn't last and your certainly shouldn't be offering free treatments, you are in business after after all.

Extremely oily skin can cause product to lift but there are a few things you could try. After prepping all nails, dehydrate and apply your chosen primer/binder one nail at a time immediately prior to product application. this will add a little extra time onto your service.

Have you ever tried Young Nails Protein Bond? It's amazing for problem lifters and well worth a try.

Thank you for your advice, I will definitely try doing one nail at a time and also try and get Young Nails Protein Bond as I haven't tried it.

Totally understand this happening, it happens to me every now and again too.

How I managed to get through this one is by taking the advice of a client I had many years ago who came to me with the exact same issue.

She asked me to do her gel sculpts, and said that they had to be much thicker than the usual to get them to stay on for two weeks.

Throughout the booking she asked me to apply more and more gel to the sculpts ( my version of thick gel was no where near what she knew she needed [emoji33][emoji1]).

Plenty of minor lifting (if you can call it that) on the first maintenance booking, though apparently this was normal and she was happy to still have nails still on - frightening as this sounds.

Second maintenance booking, no lifting.

On the third maintenance booking, she let me know that her nail extensions were now at their strongest.

I tried applying thicker gel on my own nails, worked for me too so I was really pleased.

When applying a thicker product, I found it was helpful to have my file and buff game on. A well shaped surface definitely distracts from the thickness.

If White to pink ratio is out of balance, and also zone balance / surface shape of Nail then extensions never look great, thickness of product enhances the faults above further.

It might not be the same for your client, though felt best to share, plus, if you don't try, you don't know.

I didn't like the idea of thicker product either, I always felt that thinker product would contribute to lifting if anything, and remember mentioning that to my client, however she knew the score completely so I'm glad I listened to her. Amazin' lady [emoji179]

Thank you for your tips. It is interesting that the only Nails she was able to keep on for any length of time were from a Vietnamese nail bar and she said they were very thick - but unfortunately she really does'nt want them thick! But If all else fails, she may have to reconsider!

Is she on any HEART medication? If so then they will just fall off. It's not rocket science [emoji436].

If she can't have tans or other products in her nails then possibly she has other medical issues

Or pregnancy ?

Or pregnancy ?

She isn't on heart medication - or pregnant, although she did have a baby just over a year ago and I know it can take a good year for your hormones and body to recover after giving birth. She has mentioned she wonders if she has a hormone inbalance as her skin and hair have become much oiler recently.

I have one client who has the same issue although hers usually last a week to 2 weeks before they come off. I've tried everything I can think of to no avail so I've just resigned myself that there isn't any more I can do.

I have one client who has the same issue although hers usually last a week to 2 weeks before they come off. I've tried everything I can think of to no avail so I've just resigned myself that there isn't any more I can do.

To be honest, I think my client would be happy if they lasted 1-2 weeks! but 1-2 days is rubbish isn't it?!

Are you using acrylic? My skin is oily and I cannot keep acrylic on my nails so I use hard gel only. Young Nails Protein Bond a miracle for me. I use 2 coats. The second coat I cute in my lamp for 10 seconds. No lifting or losing nails.

Are you using acrylic? My skin is oily and I cannot keep acrylic on my nails so I use hard gel only. Young Nails Protein Bond a miracle for me. I use 2 coats. The second coat I cute in my lamp for 10 seconds. No lifting or losing nails.

I'm using hard gel too. I've just set up an account with Young Nails so I can buy their Protein Bond. Do you use their hard gel too?

Latest posts

Back