Client's nails the size of toddler fingers, gel keeps popping off help

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrunchyChips

Reaction score
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1484974060.800135.jpg

Hello everyone, I AM TRAINED AND CERT in CND Shellac and Brisa Gel.
I have a client that has VERY SMALL Nail beds. She has come to see me twice and both times within a few days of having her nails done she has had them pop off like a bad press on. I am so embarassed and really stumped why this is happening to her.
The first time we did her set i used CND TIPS and figured that was my problem as her nail beds are so short they didnt offer her any strength so this time around i sculpted them perfectly using forms and Took the extra effort to remove the cuticle and create more space on the nail plate and we kept them short to ensure they would last and not break. Anyway that clearly didnt work as she just sent me this photo saying she is screwed and thinks she cant wear nail enhancments at all.
I dont understand why this is happening and i know that i didnt miss any steps and she is my only client that has this issue. What should i do ?? I was thinking she might be a good candidate for acrylic ?
Any advice will help as she has paid me 140 for both her appointments combined which inckudes tips and nail art and i really want to help her so she doesnt feel ripped off and i want to learn why this happens so i can grow from this.
Thank you

Last edited:
Faced with this, I would do an acrylic overlay or even tip & overlay, giving her nice straight sidewalls as those nails are a bit spadey, and keeping the length pretty short. They are very tiny and the hypernichium is attached low down too which doesn't help the strength of them. Are they also thin?

There are a lot of nibble marks on the skin so I wouldn't mind betting that they are in her mouth a lot, even if not being actually nibbled.

If they've come off twice, I'd probably do them without charging - not saying you should, but I probably would

And remind her to oil and all the usual aftercare tips xx

She does have very thin nails as well... and she does like to nibble but this nail just popped off she said out of nowhere.. I definitely would not charge her the third time around but I'm not trained within acrylic so I was hoping there could be a way I could still provider service using gel

I noticed the thread that I created has a lot of use so people really are interested but I mean I'm a bit confused why nobody's reaching out to give me any type of advice as I think a lot of people could benefit from knowing how to proceed moving forward from a situation like this

Nails this small and thin wouldn't hold a long enhancement no matter what you did especially if they are in her mouth all the time.
Try suggesting an overlay or maybe tiny tiny TINY enhancements and they will eventually grow longer.

I noticed the thread that I created has a lot of use so people really are interested but I mean I'm a bit confused why nobody's reaching out to give me any type of advice as I think a lot of people could benefit from knowing how to proceed moving forward from a situation like this
I've read your thread, but not sure on the answer so hopefully some more nail techs will be able to give you some advice, I'm guessing other people have also read this thread but genuinely don't know the answer, I wouldn't know where to start with nails like these, good luck and hope you find your answer! Xx

Thank you for your reply I really appreciate it

She told me that she doesn't actually bite her nails and I believe her because the last time I saw her there was a giant improvement plus we actually did her nail enhancements very short they practically touch the tip of her finger so I really am perplexed

I'm an acrylic user and I'd sculpt on her and keep them very short. Her little finger has a ski slope nail so trim that as short as possibly
£140 is a lot for 2 sets so I'd also do them for free.
Do you have pics of her nails after you'd applied the gel?

I'm an acrylic user and I'd sculpt on her and keep them very short. Her little finger has a ski slope nail so trim that as short as possibly
£140 is a lot for 2 sets so I'd also do them for free.
Do you have pics of her nails after you'd applied the gel?
I think it's $140 not £ so won't be as much xx

Well I'm from Canada so when she came to see me both times we were starting with a brand-new fresh set and I charge $65 but that includes shellac on top with 2 nail desings. I can definitely upload the two photos of the Before,After.. once I figure out how to do it. And her nail does ski slope as well so I was taking them right down and then using forms the second time but that's clearly not working either I guess because the gel is too soft I was reading a few threads on this site though and some people have been suggesting dipping a bead of the gel into acrylic... how does anybody feel about that

She told me that she doesn't actually bite her nails and I believe her because the last time I saw her there was a giant improvement plus we actually did her nail enhancements very short they practically touch the tip of her finger so I really am perplexed
Just because she isn't biting, doesn't mean she's not picking and lifting them with her teeth. She helped these off.

Yes I agree with you she could be completely picking as she was a severe biter.. picker..prior.

Latest posts

Back