clients removing their own lifting - a dilema

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ella

Reaction score
I was chatting to the girls who work in the creache at our local supermarket whilst I collected my little girl - and obviously we were talking about nails!

She had a set of pink & white l&ps done in a local salon who I know have recently converted to creative. She was happy with them, and she commented how this was the first salon who had advised her to perform some maintenance to her own nails. She made some gestures and from this I figured she meant she had lifting and they had told her how to file it. I just said - "oh " as I did not want to comment on another techs work, but is this really an acceptable thing to suggest. The girl had damaged her natural nail (she didn't realise it). I would hope to goodness that my clients did not get any lifting, but of they did I would want to see them.

So my question to you is two fold:

Is this normal advice and is it safe? Opinions please?

If you think it is wrong, should I say anything to her including that she should not expect to get any lifing? What would you say?

just bumping this up to see if anyone might reply!!

ella said:
just bumping this up to see if anyone might reply!!
As my mum always used to say............
A little bit of knowledge to the untrained person is a dangerous thing........

I your prep and application is spot on, there wont be the need for client DIY........
I always tell any of my clients, if it lifts come in and I will check it out........
and fix it............... but alas, this hardly ever happens...........the only time I have had that problem , if a clients doesn't use the right enamel remover or the quicky pads......Even though I have stressed this point till I am blue and pink in the face...................

You can always say to the client............. Now you wont have any lifting, as my prep is the best this side of bodmin moors lol , but if you do call me and I will fix this in no time................
You know I don't even stock client retail resin.....LOL..........

I always tell new clients that they (like all my other clients) shouldn't get any lifting. But if they do, they should ring me and I will sort it out. I always advise against filing or buffing of any sort to stop them damaging the enhancement and their natural nail. I even ask them to pop back in if they decide they want them shorter or the shape changed!

Imagine how much damage a client could do "chasing the line"

Ack. Thats like a Dr. advising you to drain your own spleen inbetween visits.
Having a client buff out their own lifting is a sure fire way for them to get 'rings o fire', screw up the shape to their nail and their enamel applications.

Ok so you all seem to agree with me that this was not good advice - so do I say anything to her??? What would you say to her??

ella said:
Ok so you all seem to agree with me that this was not good advice - so do I say anything to her??? What would you say to her??
Be honest with her, and tell her more damage then good can be done..........
Tell her to come and see you if there are any problems with her nails including lifting........................
Tell her even though other Techs might endorse this, you as a Creative trained Technician don't, as it can lead to more not so easily solved problems........File damage, Nail plate thinning aso...............
HTH

ella said:
Maybe you could tell her that as a nail tek yourself, you wouldn't suggest her trying to 'fix' any problems herself but to either go back to the salon and make sure they treat her problems or she may want to find alternative salon to go to. I think that is fair advice to the client. On the other hand, if you decided to call the salon I would say something along these lines...
"Hi, I hope you don't mind me calling you, My names Ella and I was talking to a lady who had her nails done by you the other week - by-the-way great job they looked lovely. Anyway the reason I am ringing is because she mentioned that she had been told to buff her nails if she experienced any problems. She has taken your advice but I think she may have damaged her own nails a little by doing this. I told her to go back to you to sort out any lifting problems as it wouldn't be advisable for her to try and do it her self. I hope you don't mind!! BLA BLA BLA....
Now you haven't been rude, or offensive but you have told them exactly what you wouldn't do and what they shouldn't do in the future - they may be very appreciative...Jeez Ella, I hope I'm not teaching you to suck eggs - you know where I'm coming from!!

Thanks everyone. I think I will say something then. I'll keep you unpdated on what happens!

By the way, one other thing that bothered me is that it is a "creative" salon - i.e they have done the Creative conversion & use retention+. They even trained with the same ambassador as me - so where did they get their ideas from???? When they converted I thought "Great - I could pop in for a rebalance occasionaly to save myself a job - and I hate doing smile lines on my right hand". But now I will be unlikely to do that.

ella said:
Thanks everyone. I think I will say something then. I'll keep you unpdated on what happens!

By the way, one other thing that bothered me is that it is a "creative" salon - i.e they have done the Creative conversion & use retention+. They even trained with the same ambassador as me - so where did they get their ideas from???? When they converted I thought "Great - I could pop in for a rebalance occasionaly to save myself a job - and I hate doing smile lines on my right hand". But now I will be unlikely to do that.
all i can say is - you can take a horse to water!! I doubt they would have been told this by a CND Ambassador but still choose to practise methods maybe taught by somebody previously!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back