Clients sitting sideways?!?!?!?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phoebe_cat

Reaction score
Is this something that everyone comes across or just me? I find that so many of my clients sit on the chair in front of me, cross their legs n then swivel to their right :confused:

I have a Purex station and really comfy chairs all set up in line, but soooo many of them do this. I have to say, "would you mind just facing me please, just to make sure these little blighters go on straight!" and they do, but then they start to drift again! I have their left arm practically in my bra n I have to lean back n their right is so far away I'm stretching over my station! I keep saying "If you could just face forward again please!?" but I worry that I start to sound like a nag!

My set up is here http://www.salongeek.com/chit-chat/54845-pics-my-studio.html and when they arrive I have the client chair facing me directly!

Is it just me or do others feel the need to yank clients arms n scream "FACE THIS WAY FOR GOD'S SAKE!" :irked:

I know exactly what you mean! another thing im always doing is pulling their arms towards me as their chair seems to drift away from the station too. so as well as sat sideways they have their arms too far away from me! Im always saying 'could you just, can you just, could i pull you this way!'
Ive now moved my manicure station near my window in the salon, and because im on the second floor and on a busy road they can just turn their head and nose out of the window to keep them occupied :) Its worked a treat!

My client chair is not swivelable (thank goodness :lol:) But like you Nicki Marie I find their hand seems to drift back and you have to kinda pull it towards you or you're making your back ache . . .

I have one lady who cracks me up, she's so funny and we have a good laugh, but trying to get the l&p on around the cuticle, or the polish afterwards, can be a nightmare; she doesn't seem to realise when she laughs her whole body shakes . . . when I pointed it out once she laughed even more :irked: but hey, what a happy soul, she is a pleasure really!

Yours salon looks lovely btw x

Is this something that everyone comes across or just me? I find that so many of my clients sit on the chair in front of me, cross their legs n then swivel to their right :confused:
Is it just me or do others feel the need to yank clients arms n scream "FACE THIS WAY FOR GOD'S SAKE!" :irked:

Your salon looks great! I do have some swivellers (sp?) too. I think some do it because their crossed leg sticks out and they don't want to bump legs with me. What also drives me nuts is when ppl hold their fingers so stiff and they think they're helping me. I want them to relax their finger so I can see it better. When it's stiff, they can see it better than me. But they REALLY think they're making my life easier. Also, some seem to slouch back and move a bit far away and I feel like I need to keep asking them to move up.... and then they slide away again. I, like you, admit to having the urge to just pull their arm forward and remind them that I am the one who needs to see the nails!!!!!!!!!!! Now I realize how annoying I must have been as a client!

Yep I've had a bad neck for a while and had a chat with another geek about my working practices, posture etc and this week I have made sure I've been working correctly and the reason I have a sore neck (I think) is due to the fact that a lot of the time I'm having to literally drag clients towards me with my right arm (I'm left handed) and the pain is in the right side of my neck and head. They seem to relax during their rebalance and lean either back or to the side.
I know they can't help it but it does make the job harder.
I have been asking them to pull their chair as far towards me as possible and not cross their legs which has helped a bit.

Mine swivel to my right as my station is on the other wall to yours lol....I do find myself pulling them back towards me as they get more and more relaxed. It's a tricky one as they want to have a relaxing experience without being told what to do, I just tend to give a gentle pull in the right direction, wakes them up for a minute and gets them in place.

Mine swivvel off to the left, but thats normally because I have their hand I am working on facing right on an angle.. I cant work on straight at me hands.. even when writting my paper is practically on its side. its just the way I work.. so I am quite happy they swivvel without me asking for them to please do so.

Yep mine swivel to the left aswell, so I feel as though I pull their arm towards me for alot of the service! I do ask if they could face me and uncross their legs, but then as they forget they do it again and then I feel like Im nagging!!:eek:

Perhaps we should buy chairs that don't swivel!!!! Have to say I'm lucky on the whole, when I ask people to sit square on and come closer they then don't swivel. However, I do explain to clients that persist that the reason why is because it makes my life easier and stops me getting chronic backache. When they know why they need to do something they tend to oblige. I also say to clients that don't relax their fingers that if they can see their nails as I work then it means i can't, which makes doing good work nigh on impossible!

also i have a lady who is abit on the large size and i have to do her nails in mid air, because she can't reach my table. This gives me such back ache as i am always leaning over to do her nails.

I think its because they get so comfy they just relax. If the chair doesnt swivel then they seem to just melt their way down the seat so their hands are almost off the desk.

Hi

you could try rearranging things a little and making it so that the client is looking at your retail area over you shoulder so to speak?? Gives them something to focus on.
as it is you have retail to the side and behind the client a good display for them to look at tempts them into impluse purchase.

just to add it looks lovely xx

and thats just my seller side there i am always looking for angles to up my profits :o i have allsorts displayed at my back, i change it regular just to temp them :lol: :wink2:

Bl**dy irritating sometimes isn't it ... am forever politely asking fidgety clients to sit properly :irked:

I must admit my client chairs did not swivel.
As it would probably be too expensive for you to change your chairs...have you thought of buying a footrest out of Office World or somewhere.
That way your client should sit straight and have her feet on the foot rest, and resist the urge to swivel.

I must admit my client chairs did not swivel.
As it would probably be too expensive for you to change your chairs...have you thought of buying a footrest out of Office World or somewhere.
That way your client should sit straight and have her feet on the foot rest, and resist the urge to swivel.

ooh, that sounds like a good idea.

i was thinking along the lines of shackles fixed to the desk to lock around the wrists!
perhaps you'd be better with izzydolls idea:lol:

ooh, that sounds like a good idea.

i was thinking along the lines of shackles fixed to the desk to lock around the wrists!
perhaps you'd be better with izzydolls idea:lol:

Always good to have a back up plan though....pmsl:lol:

My client chair does not swivel and i use one of those seats that you more or less kneel on, this means my legs are not under the desk so there is room for the clients legs without them having to worry about kicking me lol, works for most clients but i do get the odd one that sinks into the chair or nearly falls asleep at the desk.
I like the idea of shackles fitted to the desk :lol:

I'm so glad to find it's not just me :green:

Thanx for all the replies guys! Think I'll try Sassy's first and actually explain to them why I need them to face forward (I actually had surgery on my spine 4 years ago, so I'm not just whinging for whingings sake!)

If not then, maybe the foot rest might be the way to go Izzy.

Little Angel, the idea of having them facing the retail display would be great on both counts, but unfortunately for when I do pedicures, I'd have to move my nail station each time and with my back, that ain't an option!

Once again, thanx for all your suggestions!

Not being funny, but i find the jane fondas new workout! helps release the tension in my back and spine, gives it a good stretch, i notice the difference if i dont do it! Plus i feel great in my cat suit and leg warmers! (that last bit was a joke by the way!):)

Latest posts

Back