Clients that buff their nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nailtech770

Reaction score
Greetings!

I have a few clients who remove the gel themselvesand use those damn buffer shiners on their nails. The ones that make their nails shine like diamonds and as thin as a sheet of paper. Hell, it makes gel manicures much more difficult to adhere! Very hard to prep them this way, too, mind you. What is a gal to do? Anyone else have similar issues?

Yeah, tell them to leave them alone!!! 🤣

I've been telling my clients to not to use them for years and years, they're the bane of my life. Any client with stress area side splits are guaranteed to have been using one. I explain to them that they have approximately 250 layers of nail plate, heavy handed use if the coarsest side (even though it feels pretty soft) can remove up to 50 layers. :eek: - do that once a week for a month and they're absolutely ruined.

I tell them that can use the 'leather' or 'grossing' side as much as they like but none of the others.

Yeah, tell them to leave them alone!!! 🤣

I've been telling my clients to not to use them for years and years, they're the bane of my life. Any client with stress area side splits are guaranteed to have been using one. I explain to them that they have approximately 250 layers of nail plate, heavy handed use if the coarsest side (even though it feels pretty soft) can remove up to 50 layers. :eek: - do that once a week for a month and they're absolutely ruined.

I tell them that can use the 'leather' or 'grossing' side as much as they like but none of the others.

Oh, I like that. I should tell them to use the glossing side so they can satisfy their nasty little urge.

As long as they don’t go crazy. Buffing fast and hard and heating the nail and it’s bed isn’t good. Even the 6000 grit buffer can be over used. It sounds as if they roughly remove the gel polish and take a bit of nail plate with it, then try to even out the damage.

Why are these clients taking off their own gel polish?
Are there chips or missing gels that they don’t want to see?
Are they just ‘pickers’ and do it when bored or feel like fiddling with them?
Do you charge for removal and they are saving a bit?
What procedure (if any) are they using?
Do they have the proper solvent and wraps?

As long as they don’t go crazy. Buffing fast and hard and heating the nail and it’s bed isn’t good. Even the 6000 grit buffer can be over used. It sounds as if they roughly remove the gel polish and take a bit of nail plate with it, then try to even out the damage.

Why are these clients taking off their own gel polish?
Are there chips or missing gels that they don’t want to see?
Are they just ‘pickers’ and do it when bored or feel like fiddling with them?
Do you charge for removal and they are saving a bit?
What procedure (if any) are they using?
Do they have the proper solvent and wraps?

That is what they are doing. I do charge extra for reshellac as opposed to the first service shellac. I thought this was customary? We are talking a five buck difference. I don't have many clients like this but I do have enough. They are customers who are either pickers or don't feel like coming in to do it proper.

I don't charge to take Shellac off, when getting a new set of Shellac nails, if I've applied the set I'm removing.
If they've had it done elsewhere, I do charge, as you never know how long it will take, due to people not being sure what exactly is on their nails! I charge depending on how long it takes to remove.

I don't charge to take Shellac off, when getting a new set of Shellac nails, if I've applied the set I'm removing.
If they've had it done elsewhere, I do charge, as you never know how long it will take, due to people not being sure what exactly is on their nails! I charge depending on how long it takes to remove.

Interesting. It takes more time for reshellac so I charge a few bucks extra. You suppose people are damaging their nails over a couple of dollars? Perhaps I need to reevaluate.

It does take extra time, but I try to 'sell' it as a 'loyality bonus for regulars'. I have quite a few salons around me, some with very low prices, so rather than dropping my price, I offer this, to gain loyalty, so the don't jump between salons. I'd rather they come in every few weeks and give them a few pounds off, instead of gaining a few quid, but they only come in every 2 or 3 treatments.

In addition, I lose more by having to spend ages taking off products from other salons, as I often can't charge much more than a few pound extra, no matter how longbit's taken me.

I think some people do want to save, but if they know it's not saving, they're more likely to let u do it. Some clients think it's a hastle for you too...make sure they know it's not a problem, which is backed up by offering a complimentary removal, if getting new application.

It also saves having to deal with issues due to damaged nails. Altho ur spending more time removing for free, u probs spend extra time 'fixing' or 'treating' problems from other salons or from picking, etc.

It does take extra time, but I try to 'sell' it as a 'loyality bonus for regulars'. I have quite a few salons around me, some with very low prices, so rather than dropping my price, I offer this, to gain loyalty, so the don't jump between salons. I'd rather they come in every few weeks and give them a few pounds off, instead of gaining a few quid, but they only come in every 2 or 3 treatments.

In addition, I lose more by having to spend ages taking off products from other salons, as I often can't charge much more than a few pound extra, no matter how longbit's taken me.

I think some people do want to save, but if they know it's not saving, they're more likely to let u do it. Some clients think it's a hastle for you too...make sure they know it's not a problem, which is backed up by offering a complimentary removal, if getting new application.

It also saves having to deal with issues due to damaged nails. Altho ur spending more time removing for free, u probs spend extra time 'fixing' or 'treating' problems from other salons or from picking, etc.

You have enlightened me. Back to the drawing board I go. Thanks for the business advice. It makes perfect sense.

Interesting. It takes more time for reshellac so I charge a few bucks extra. You suppose people are damaging their nails over a couple of dollars? Perhaps I need to reevaluate.

My Shellac price includes removal, I set it higher initially, so I remind clients it's free to have removed whether they have reapplication or not. It takes 20 minutes to remove if they are not having it reapplied, I'd rather have them pop in and removed properly than pick or DIY. I just wrap, remove and solar oil, no other work.

I also include removal in the price of their next set.
If it’s not my work then charge according to the time taken. I soon learnt to ask new clients what they’ve got on when they book. Got caught out a couple of times! 🙄🙄
When a client has their first gel polish manicure with me I give them a written home care advice leaflet and a free mini solar oil to start them off with good habits.

I also include removal in the price of their next set.
If it’s not my work then charge according to the time taken. I soon learnt to ask new clients what they’ve got on when they book. Got caught out a couple of times! 🙄🙄
When a client has their first gel polish manicure with me I give them a written home care advice leaflet and a free mini solar oil to start them off with good habits.
Absolutely....always ask....but a problem I find with asking what they have on, is that they always say Shellac!....often, as soon as I see it, I know it's not, even tho they'll still insist it is. I think part of the problem is that people assume gel/shellac is the same and these are interchangable words for the same thing. Another problem is that salons have told them they have had Shellac applied, when they've actually used some sort of gel. I try to educate as to what the bottle looks like, etc, so if they do go elsewhere, they know what they are having done! I've had a couple of nightmare too, so I always warn them if I fon't know what's on, it could potentially take a lot longer to come off, so I'd do b4 lunch, when quiet, end of day, etc, so it doesn't mess with other appointments.

Absolutely....always ask....but a problem I find with asking what they have on, is that they always say Shellac!....often, as soon as I see it, I know it's not, even tho they'll still insist it is. I think part of the problem is that people assume gel/shellac is the same and these are interchangeable words for the same thing. Another problem is that salons have told them they have had Shellac applied, when they've actually used some sort of gel. I try to educate as to what the bottle looks like, etc, so if they do go elsewhere, they know what they are having done! I've had a couple of nightmare too, so I always warn them if I don't know what's on, it could potentially take a lot longer to come off, so I'd do b4 lunch, when quiet, end of day, etc, so it doesn't mess with other appointments.
Yes, exactly!
I also put their appointment somewhere it won't mess up my schedule. They don't know the difference between acrylics and gel polish either...
When they book I ask where they had it done - if it's a local salon / bar, I generally know which brands they use, however they all seem to mix brands / builder / acrylic willy-nilly!!

The worst one I had was when "her neighbours daughter wanted to have a go"!!! Took an hour to remove (so the client got an hour of education on nail products and hazards...) ;)

Thank you. I am going to stop charging for frequent customers.

I try to educate as to what the bottle looks like
Such a mess sometimes. DND bottles and logos look essentially like CND Shellac bottles. Now there is SND.

Latest posts

Back