Clients that smoke!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roseblanc

Reaction score
Hi ladies,

I need to vent a bit! I have a client that is a heavy smoker. She actually makes me stop my service every 20 mins or so, so that she can go outside and have a cigarette!!! Can you believe that!! It really bugs me because it takes me forever to finish with her because she's spending more time smoking than anything. And if I ask her to sit and wait a little longer she gets all pissy and moody. Does anyone else have a client like this? Grrrrrr, it really annoys me!!

Charge her based on length of time to complete service then. If she wants to take 20 fag breaks during that time, it will be on her dime :)

Hi ladies,

I need to vent a bit! I have a client that is a heavy smoker. She actually makes me stop my service every 20 mins or so, so that she can go outside and have a cigarette!!! Can you believe that!! It really bugs me because it takes me forever to finish with her because she's spending more time smoking than anything. And if I ask her to sit and wait a little longer she gets all pissy and moody. Does anyone else have a client like this? Grrrrrr, it really annoys me!!

There are only a few things you can do about it.

Tell her she can't smoke during he appointment time.

Charge her extra for your waiting time.

Work around her habit by booking someone else in at the same time for repairs or soak offs and see how she likes to wait (this is what I would do).

Last edited:
Yup, and I told her that she can have 1 break. I explained that my client's following her didn't like waiting when they were on time. For a while, I intentionally scheduled her so that she had a particular, cranky non-smoker right after her. And when she didn't want to listen, and the appointment dragged late, that cranky non-smoker let her have it
:lol:
Dirty pool, I know hehehe

I understand when it's a particularly long service for some, especially when there's art that has to dry before glossing.

There's no break at the Hair salon, no break at the doctor's office, no breaks every 20min at work...

She's taking advantage because you're working from home. You have better things to do than sit around waiting for her all the time.
Now I'm firmer, and I learned my lesson, and I put my foot down at the get go.

At the next appointment you could try booking someone imediately after her.
Also explain when she arrives that either A) you have another client coming or B) YOU have an appointment yourself to get to, and you must be on time and that she'll have to limit herself to one break... She's figuring because you're at home, you have all the time in the world. We both know this isn't true.

I'm sorry, I smoke but I wouldn't dream of asking a Nail Tech or Hairdresser if I could just nip out for a ciggie.

Surely she can go without, it's not like she's on an hour flight!:irked:

Tell her you can't keep stopping but then again would you lose her as a client.

Put it this way, she wouldn't like it if you asked her if you could just have a break to give for a cig.

Get her told girl! :)

I wouldnt have thought it was a good idea to let her anyway because of flammable fumes.

I wouldnt have thought it was a good idea to let her anyway because of flammable fumes.

Oh no, she doesn't smoke in my house. I'm a smoker myself - but the rule in my house is No Smoking. Even myself, when I smoke I go outside. I have kids and I may be dumb enough to smoke, but I wont subject the rest of my family to the toxins. Even my hubby doesnt smoke - so it's 3 against 1... I wont allow anyone to smoke in my house.

Salon products dont produce fumes. Fumes are tiny particles suspended in gases eg: smoke from chimneys

Salon products dont produce fumes. Fumes are tiny particles suspended in gases eg: smoke from chimneys

VAPOURS... sorry,even if not in the house though is it a good idea to let her be lighting cigarettes while a treatment is in progress.
You could always slap a patch on her ,stick some nicotine gum in her mouth and charge her for them.

how on earth do people manage to get through a day if they have to stop what they are doing every 20 minutes?

like others have mentioned, you cant have a break at hospital appointments or on journeys in busses or planes.

i guess it comes down to how much you need her money.
i wouldnt be able to tolerate it because apart from the time wasted i would think she might be really whiffing of smoke when she sits back at your desk.

I sorry but I would just tell her that you would prefer her to not smoke while having her nails done, For godsake if she was in the hair salon would she light up while having her haircut........... Exactly:eek:

i had some of those until i told them the product was highly flammable during its cure time and could set their nails on fire, but if they wanted to risk it i was happy to let them if they "just signed this disclaimer" after all i didn't want them suing me for third degree burns ha ha......

That stopped them in their tracks!:lol:

Ooh all these lies, I'll never get to heaven!

i had some of those until i told them the product was highly flammable during its cure time and could set their nails on fire, but if they wanted to risk it i was happy to let them if they "just signed this disclaimer" after all i didn't want them suing me for third degree burns ha ha......

That stopped them in their tracks!:lol:

Ooh all these lies, I'll never get to heaven!

BRILLIANT:!:

:lol:

Latest posts

Back