Clients that think they're friends

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kayteeebee11

Reaction score
I have 1 client who is very regular always refers me and is amazing however the tags on facebook are getting too much she seems to think we are best mates. It's about 6 times a day I get tagged in something.

Obviously I chat to her during treaent a discuss my life (not too much) to make her feel comfortable but now it's turnt in to statuses saying u know we said this about this well here is a quote. I can't be rude she's my best client but it is a bit much. She had even invited me to her 21st party and wedding. It's a bit overwhelming.

I will always be polite and professional.

Just wondered if anyone else had had this? Love to hear your stories

All the time 😂😂 just ignore the tags - don't like them or share and they will soon realise your either too busy to look or just that you don't care aha x

This scenario is just another reason why I refuse to have FB, I truly am yet to see any full positive results from anybody I know that uses FB for business purposes and this is why I simply will not have it.

I would just ignore the tags, there is no law that says you have to do anything with/about them, so just ignore them and move on. She will eventually get the message that you are not interested.
When she is in for her service, start ever so slightly backing away, don't talk personal talk, don't allow her to know things about your personally, ensure you don't make any reference to her being your friend or anything that even hints to this idea and as for the wedding invite etc, just be busy that day, that's a simple way to get out of going, just wish her a lovely day and leave it at that.

Sadly she is overstepping the boundaries but it's up to you as the professional to stomp on it in a professional nice way.

Good luck:)

See facebook is my main way of gaining clients. I am mobile and a lot of my clients come from facebook advertising then the referrals come from word of mouth from them clients who then tell family or friends I am on facebook etc.

It is just I have so many facebook messages to get through I even have to turn down people that heritage take up far too much time. Someone mentioned I should put privacy in that I monitor who tags me in things. But again that's more notifications.

I have 1 client who is very regular always refers me and is amazing however the tags on facebook are getting too much she seems to think we are best mates. It's about 6 times a day I get tagged in something.

Obviously I chat to her during treaent a discuss my life (not too much) to make her feel comfortable but now it's turnt in to statuses saying u know we said this about this well here is a quote. I can't be rude she's my best client but it is a bit much. She had even invited me to her 21st party and wedding. It's a bit overwhelming.

I will always be polite and professional.

Just wondered if anyone else had had this? Love to hear your stories

Why not just be friends with her? Or do you have too many already?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using SalonGeek mobile app

Lol I'd love to be able to keep up with a 21 year old. I'm too old and she likes clubbing, if my old body could handle it like I used to Id be out the door. Maybe I'm getting old and boring!

Agree with the above. Some clients have become wonderful friends. One is now my dog walker, I have been to many weddings and I have been out to dinner with clients. However, I'm not on Facebook. My business is, but I'm not.

Sometimes friendships happen very naturally and you can really click with someone. Why wouldn't you be friends? But I get the impression with your situation that maybe this girl is forcing it. Maybe she thinks she's helping your business with the tagging etc and maybe she feels that she should invite you to her wedding as she's talking about it all the time. Or maybe she just thinks you're top friend material.

Just to add, I never do mates rates so anyone becoming a good friend pays the same as everyone else. My bessie mates pay full whack so I'm never going to do reduced rates for a client turned friend.

Vic x

Sent from my SM-N910F using SalonGeek mobile app

One of my best friends is a client, was a client first, then a friendship developed. My other bestie was a girl i worked with when i met the other one!
The three of us have a great friendship that i love, and these 2 girls are my rocks, and vice versa.
In saying that, I've had friend requests sent through by clients, and i put them on a restricted list for the most part. I don't want to be rude and decline them, as it's awkward, but i do say,
"I'm not on fb that often unless it's for my business page" then they won't get offended if they don't see any 'action' because they're restricted, but still get to see my special offers and bits and pieces that are relevant to businessy things only.
I'd hate to offend anyone, by ignoring their request, and it can be difficult if people are sensitive.

Sent from my SM-N915G using SalonGeek mobile app

Lol I'd love to be able to keep up with a 21 year old. I'm too old and she likes clubbing, if my old body could handle it like I used to Id be out the door. Maybe I'm getting old and boring!

I'm 36 and my partner and most of my friends are in their 20s. I love it!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using SalonGeek mobile app

Why are you friends with her on facebook, the only access to me via facebook my clients have is through the salon facebook page.
Your personal Facebook is for personal use.
Xx

Omg its like uve written this 4 me!!!
My *stalker* has a full time job and when she gets her rota asks me if she can come and help me for free cuz she gets lonley at home. I say no becuause of insurance ect she says none of that matters i just want to see you.
She tags me in best mate things on fb. And invites me out on the weekend. I do come across friendly and bubbly and chatty but wow.
I advertised a cancellation on my business page and she snatched it and come to me and told me she had just cheated on her man and told me grim details, invited her man over for a haircut and told him infront of me and was saying what do you think? I was ah i dont really want to get involved. Then tagged me in a fb post "couldnt of got through today without my bestie"
🙈🙈🙈🙈🙈

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Its safe to say she is off my personal page and blocked. I pretended ive deleted it but she just harrasses me on my business page now haha

Omg its like uve written this 4 me!!!
My *stalker* has a full time job and when she gets her rota asks me if she can come and help me for free cuz she gets lonley at home. I say no becuause of insurance ect she says none of that matters i just want to see you.
She tags me in best mate things on fb. And invites me out on the weekend. I do come across friendly and bubbly and chatty but wow.
I advertised a cancellation on my business page and she snatched it and come to me and told me she had just cheated on her man and told me grim details, invited her man over for a haircut and told him infront of me and was saying what do you think? I was ah i dont really want to get involved. Then tagged me in a fb post "couldnt of got through today without my bestie"
🙈🙈🙈🙈🙈

Wow. Nut job!

Is it bad that im reading this thread cackling with laughter?

Sent from my GT-I8190N using SalonGeek mobile app

Lol i dont think im friendly enough for these types of people

Sent from my SM-G900F using SalonGeek mobile app

Lol. Perhaps she fancies u!!! 😳

Wow that is a bit weird lol.

Where do these people come from.

😂😂😂😂😂😂

I had an older lady who asked me to do her nails for her wedding after doing her nails for about a year. She was getting married abroad and invited me to the wedding and would pay for the accommodation and flights. Only about 10 people going to the wedding, felt very uncomfortable that she was so insistent that she wanted me there. Luckily dates changed and I made an excuse of already having booked a weekend away which clashed. I was friendly to her when I was doing her treatments but never saw her out of those time, or talked on the phone so it was odd she considered me a friend, even a little bit sad. I would have always felt indebted to her if I had gone and she has since moved away so is no longer a customer but don't think it has anything to do with facebook, because we listen and people confide in us when they are having treatments, they sometimes feel a close friendship which sometimes we don't.

I must agree that in order to remain professional in this industry if you are using social media as part of your business, you must maintain a separate, professional online presence. If you don't, you are inviting this very type of behavior. By keeping a personal as well as a professional online presence, you control your clients' access to you. I have been in this industry since 1998 and I personally maintain a professional distance from my clients. They are NOT my friends. They are my clients. Remember, familiarity breeds contempt.

Latest posts

Back