Clients wearing gloves inside UV lamps?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

St311ar

Reaction score
I had a client come in today and tell me that the Happy Nails (discount nail place) she took her daughter to gave her daughter cotton gloves to wear while doing her gel service.

She said they had finger holes cut out so they could apply the gel but so her hand wasn't exposed to the UV.

The owner told her and her daughter it was for their safety so the UV light doesn't give her cancer.

I had to then explain (using Doug Schoon's articles as back up) why the UV lights I use (New CND lights) are not harmful to her in any way.

Has anyone else heard of this cotton glove practice? I hate having to calm down freaked out clients because others don't do research and feed into scare tactics!

No I haven't had this issue (yet) and I hope I never do.

I would find out which salon did this and then send them an anonymous letter along with Dougs research articles and tell them to stop putting false info/ very wrong myths out there that will ultimately cause damage to their own business along with the industry in general.

No wonder these discount/chop shop salons have such a bad name.....they b*tch about the bad rep they have but they do nothing to help themselves and this is a good example of them shooting themselves in the foot and adding to the bad rep they already have.

I've heard of the glove thing and of course in light of the research that has been done, it is just silly but you know clients!

These consumers get scared by FEAR marketing, they don't do the research and we have to teach them ... Not easy for a discount salon to do so I suppose they are just giving in and taking the easy road out. I can understand it to some extent. Its not easy for us to teach people who are influenced by fear marketing Easier just to say, " we have gloves you Can wear if it makes you feel more comfortable.". Rather than explain that there is a research study they van look at available on xyz website bla bla.

I'm not saying that we should not teach consumers the truth ... Indeed I try, but I can understand in a sue happy culture, that some just take the easy option.

I have one of these glove, as when I was taking my gel class I have to practise with my own hands, and may be twice or three time a week in the UV lamp my hands turn much darker, so I start looking for these gloves.

My teacher has told me that in the US a lot of places did use to provide gloves because of people were scared of UV light long ago when there was not much information about it yet. But not much used now because of hygenic factor or you have to give one glove away / clean it everytime.Including people get less scared of the UV and the exposure is every two weeks.

But there are also other type of Glove, example of Calgel which I used there is a treatment for your hand that you put the treatment on, put on the glove (made of paper) then put your hand in the lamp. The treatment work while your hand is in the lamp and get our gel service done. It is a whitening and hydrating treatment.

I'm concerned this glove thing may catch on here in the U.S. because so many believe the hype. Apparently some of the local NSSs have started using them because clients became fearful due to articles they've read. When the NSS clients come to us for their Shellac services, they're wondering how come we're not using "the gloves." We're not using them because you don't need them!

Latest posts

Back