Clients wearing masks

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mariejwic

Reaction score
hi, I have a couple of things I'd like to ask. Firstly, I have a client who refuses to wear a mask. She has no medical reason not to, just thinks the whole thing is ridiculous. She's 'forgotten' her mask so I've given her a disposable one of mine, then she arrived with one on and then took it off halfway through treatment. She tells me to take off my mask and visor as she doesn't care if she gets it (I keep them both on regardless) my point is, if clients are allowed to take off masks for things such as lip waxes then am I over reacting asking her to put her mask on?
Second thing I'd like to ask is does anyone else find their clients are touching their faces more when wearing masks? Those that don't like them are constantly touching them and moving them away from their mouth, one lady even pulled hers down, scratched her nose then pulled it back up!

Clients choice to not wear one, your choice to refuse service.

I would flat out refuse anyone without a mask personally.

Had just one stupid woman come saying "I don't have to wear a mask" .....I said " Well you do at my salon!" She was claiming that having asthma and then wearing a mask restricted her breathing.
I then said "Well you need 2 on then or a FFP3 mask to actually reduce the risk of breathing viruses in." Been a good client since then!

Yes they touch their face and I immediately grab a gel sanitiser , plop a blob into the hand that touched the mask and said "After touching your mask your hands will be contaminated and need sanitising." I am right onto it because we are the competent persons, in charge of everything don't forget! I don't care how many times they do it I keep up the same thing.

I also say "Aren't you glad I am so strict with my extra hygiene measures?" as a joke , but truly I am not joking...but they will eventually get the message.

Taking the mask off for the lip wax - it goes straight back on afterwards thus minimising the time spent with all her mouth aerosols contaminating the air. Try to tell her not to talk.
The mask is removed and stays on their chest and is popped back as soon as the job is done. Then give a blob of gel sanitiser onto her hands after putting it back on.

If after all that she refuses... Tell her "No mask means no treatment " Do not apologise because you are the competent person ,not her.

I have a hand sanitizer next to me whilst working and have been squirting it left,right and centre every time they touch their faces but some people just don't get it do they. Every one else just comes in with their mask, no question. I even text this lady before her appointment to say no mask, no treatment which is when she came in with it on then took it off halfway through. I'm going to refuse to treat her anymore. No real loss,she only has her toes polished every 4 weeks and I'd rather not risk it. She even put it back on as she was leaving and said for my sake she would wear it to walk out so that i didn't get into trouble from my next client!

We all have to treat everyone as if they have got Covid-19, not the other way round.
Look back on our infection control and contamination training.
I would definitely refuse to treat them. Unless they have a medical condition or they need to remove their mask for the treatment. Then I'd take extra precautions.

It’s law that inside a mask must be worn, you are allowed to briefly remove them if doing a treatment to the face and the therapist should have extra PPE for this. Then it goes straight back on, if she takes it off again half way through just politely ask her to pop it back on or you’ll have to stop treatment x I’ve had a couple grumble they don’t like to wear them and I just say well, I don’t either and I have to wear it for 10 hours a day to do my clients ! Hope you don’t have to do her again x

hi, I have a couple of things I'd like to ask. Firstly, I have a client who refuses to wear a mask. She has no medical reason not to, just thinks the whole thing is ridiculous. She's 'forgotten' her mask so I've given her a disposable one of mine, then she arrived with one on and then took it off halfway through treatment. She tells me to take off my mask and visor as she doesn't care if she gets it (I keep them both on regardless) my point is, if clients are allowed to take off masks for things such as lip waxes then am I over reacting asking her to put her mask on?
Second thing I'd like to ask is does anyone else find their clients are touching their faces more when wearing masks? Those that don't like them are constantly touching them and moving them away from their mouth, one lady even pulled hers down, scratched her nose then pulled it back up!
I I’ve ran into this problem with clients. It’s liken to the fact that if you come to my home and i want you to take your shoes off yet you refuse, then you are not welcome to my home. And I’m an accountability person. When i tell my clients, yes i said tell, not ask, not to touch their face i remind them it is not just for their sake but mine and all of my clients. They are no acceptation to the rule.

Quite apart from all the excellent points made above, she's being totally disrespectful to you. She doesn't care if she gets it...... but more so, clearly doesn't care if she gives it to YOU. That right there is a client you do not need. I've had a few clients say "I don't mind if you want to take your mask off. I won't tell anyone" They mean well, but it's just crazy.

Quite apart from all the excellent points made above, she's being totally disrespectful to you. She doesn't care if she gets it...... but more so, clearly doesn't care if she gives it to YOU. That right there is a client you do not need. I've had a few clients say "I don't mind if you want to take your mask off. I won't tell anyone" They mean well, but it's just crazy.
I've tried explaining that she has to wear it but she just took it off mid treatment last time she was in so I'm going to let her know that she can't come to the salon anymore. My other half said the same as you, don't need clients like that.

I've tried explaining that she has to wear it but she just took it off mid treatment last time she was in so I'm going to let her know that she can't come to the salon anymore. My other half said the same as you, don't need clients like that.

When I returned to work after lockdown I had all my clients fill out a COVID questionnaire.... including a tick box and signature to say that they would adhere to all salon safety policies. I had one lady, similar to your client, who half way through her leg wax whipped her mask off ("I'm too hot") I stopped waxing and made it clear she either put the mask back on or leaves there & then, wax covererd legs & all ;) Absolutely sack your client. She sounds like trouble and you don't need that kind of drama. If it wasn't the mask it would probably be something else 😷😷😷💪

If that was my client I would stop mid treatment, walk away and just look at her.
Eventually she would have to ask what are you doing.
At that i point I would say i am waiting for you to put your mask on so I can continue the treatment.
Repeat as many times as necessary.

I am a nail tech and have done this MANY times when people decide to play with their phones. They soon get the hint.

Or just drop her as a client.

Im so relieved reading all your messages. We have a policy in my salon, no mask, no entry and although only a few, I am sick and tired of the ‘no mask wearing brigade’. everyone is told when booking they have to wear a mask, but they turn up and then refuse or start moaning. The ones that annoy me most are the one that say they are exempt and expect us to just take their word for it. When ask to prove it their answer is ‘ I don’t have to prove it’ and our reply, sorry you were told previously and there must be 8 signs at the entrance to the salon saying a mask has to be worn. For some unknown reason most of these clients who do not want to comply are younger people, which I think is totally selfish on their part. My staff wear their mask & visors for 8 hours, to protect themselves and our clients, if these people are too selfish they are not prepared to wear one for an hour or maybe 3 hours for colours etc., then they must find another hairdresser. I know if we make an exception for one, here will be lots more that follow and also if we do not adhere to this policy I have stylist that will refuse to work in the salon, so they could put my business in jepardy. I was also told yesterday by one of stylist that when shopping in our town on Tuesday she went past 3 hairdressers, ladies and gents and there were some clients in them with no masks and even one salon where a staff member wasnt wearing a mask. We have had 3 visits from the Environmental Agency, checking that all rules are being adhered to, but it seems these visits are not being made to some businesses. I support you all in this frustrating struggle.

Too right, stick to your guns. After the long wait for us to reopen for business again, the last thing we need is to be blamed for rising numbers!

It’s just so disrespectful clients behaving like that. I have one who continually removed hers on her first visit . Next visit I put a disposable one on her and I tied the elastic so it wouldn’t move, she moaned about it the whole time . Next visit she appeared with a very obviously fake card which stated she was exempt, I was completely insulted and said take a seat and think about whether you want your nails done or not , I’ll be back for you in a moment if you’re not prepared to wear the mask just leave . She was still there with mask on and arrived wearing it next time . She’s not happy but obviously wants her appointments. We have a bit of carry on about washing her hands which continues but I supervise it and insist, left to her own devices she runs cold water on them then wipes them on her top 🙄 it’s disgusting. It’s Like looking after a 4 year old .
As we say here in Scotland her coat is on a shoogly peg ......( next time is her last chance ) to comply , I think I’ve been patient enough .

Sorry if this has been asked, but if we’re mobile, do clients have to wear masks? As I’m in their own home, I wear a type 2 mask and face shield and wear an apron, but wasn’t sure with new legislation if they have to wear one now too?

Sorry if this has been asked, but if we’re mobile, do clients have to wear masks? As I’m in their own home, I wear a type 2 mask and face shield and wear an apron, but wasn’t sure with new legislation if they have to wear one now too?
It doesn’t state in the guidelines that clients need to wear one when you’re carrying out treatments in their own home, it just says salons.
However, I am mobile & all my clients must wear a mask for me to treat them. It is still your workplace, you are still in very close contact with them so really it is no different than being in a salon. Also, being mobile, there’s more of a risk of the client not telling you that they are unwell. They would be more likely to cancel if they were actually going out for their treatment. True, you would physically be able to tell if they were unwell most of the time but i’ve lost count how many times a client has said after their treatment “we’ve all had upset stomach/cold/sore throat the last few days”. Urgh....Thanks!

Hi Traceyxox
Legislation aside ,ask yourself do you want them masked? I do!

I insist that my one remaining mobile client wears a mask and also opens her windows before I arrive.
She is absolutely with me and totally respects my new ways.
The other mobiles I used to do are too vulnerable and live in homes that I know are not as safe as the above client. They have multiple carers or family members popping in from time to time.
It's no longer for me, there's far too much at stake. So I have let them go and I have no regrets. I am a beauty therapist and you are a hairdresser so technically at more close contact than yourself as I do eyebrow/ lip waxing on this client. I work in the high risk "breathe zone" so I am vigilant , she washes her face just before I arrive too so I know shes is as clean as I can possibly hope for.
HTH

Im so relieved reading all your messages. We have a policy in my salon, no mask, no entry and although only a few, I am sick and tired of the ‘no mask wearing brigade’. everyone is told when booking they have to wear a mask, but they turn up and then refuse or start moaning. The ones that annoy me most are the one that say they are exempt and expect us to just take their word for it. When ask to prove it their answer is ‘ I don’t have to prove it’ and our reply, sorry you were told previously and there must be 8 signs at the entrance to the salon saying a mask has to be worn. For some unknown reason most of these clients who do not want to comply are younger people, which I think is totally selfish on their part. My staff wear their mask & visors for 8 hours, to protect themselves and our clients, if these people are too selfish they are not prepared to wear one for an hour or maybe 3 hours for colours etc., then they must find another hairdresser. I know if we make an exception for one, here will be lots more that follow and also if we do not adhere to this policy I have stylist that will refuse to work in the salon, so they could put my business in jepardy. I was also told yesterday by one of stylist that when shopping in our town on Tuesday she went past 3 hairdressers, ladies and gents and there were some clients in them with no masks and even one salon where a staff member wasnt wearing a mask. We have had 3 visits from the Environmental Agency, checking that all rules are being adhered to, but it seems these visits are not being made to some businesses. I support you all in this frustrating struggle.
I totally agree with you. Luckily it's only a couple of ladies who have questioned

Just an update. I have spoken to my client about the mask situation and explained why she must wear one at all times, not just when she arrives. She was really apologetic and said she never meant to offend me and that from now she would keep it on at all times. Glad I followed it through and things are resolved. I think a lot of people are fed up with the different rules for different things and not knowing what's right and wrong. I'm going to send out another email going over salon protocols ( I did one at the beginning but think a reminder would be good) thanks for ask if your advice 🙂 really appreciated x

Latest posts

Back