Clients who turn up really early!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redlottie13

JUST BE NICE
Reaction score
Am I the only one or does it really wind you up when people turn up mega early?

I'm not talking throughout the day when you are physically with another client..... I'm talking the client who turns up while your on lunch and who wants to be seen there and then! Or wants to be let in 30 mins before you open and is ringing the bell even though you are in a staff meeting all eating breakfast.
What do you do? Say sorry we can't let you in, sorry I'm on lunch?

Just this morning I was sat doing my books and a client walks in 50 mins early! So felt guilty and started early but never got my work done, which means working till 10pm while I'm pregnant and shattered

Rant over

Yea i don't mind like 15mins early but it does bug me when they come ridiculously early and you're left thinking "oh god i dont want them waiting to long"

50 minutes? I’d tell them I wasn’t expecting them until X time and they can either wait in reception or go and get a coffee, all said with a smile. There are ways to tell people ‘NO’ assertively without upsetting them.

Yep - this is one of my pet hates.
Reason is ‘It’s not their time’ .....
It’s either MY TIME, or the client who’s still sitting in my chairs’ time!
Weirdly, I’d prefer them to come a little late than be early.

I mean CAN we actually say "I'm so sorry we can't let you in 30 mins early " we are in a meeting and it's confidential information so you can't be here! ....plus we aren't open dimwit[emoji44]

I mean CAN we actually say "I'm so sorry we can't let you in 30 mins early " we are in a meeting and it's confidential information so you can't be here! ....plus we aren't open dimwit[emoji44]

Can you have your meeting where you are out of view so they don’t know you are there?

I would just politely say that you aren’t open yet and the doors will be open for clients at x time

Kind of, last time we done that someone left a message on the answer phone saying I can see you, I've just seen you making a drink

Kind of, last time we done that someone left a message on the answer phone saying I can see you, I've just seen you making a drink

LOL
Have they no shame.......

That’s hilarious!

I would just be firm and say the doors won’t be open until x time in the morning

And in regard to your break just be firm and say your appointment is at x time, there is no space to fit you in before even if they turn up early just be firm!

If someone comes when I'm having my lunch I smile and say something like, "you're keen! Do you want a cup of tea or something to read until your appointment time?" I do the same if they come before opening. Put them in a room away from the meeting with something to drink and read, and leave them there until the start of the appointment. They'll soon get bored of coming in early and sitting about doing nothing.

That is soooo rude. I wouldn’t think twice of leaving them until just before their appointment time if they said that.

I have a home salon and regularly miss out on lunch and dinner as clients arrive early.

I have been known to put my coat on and leave the salon for a break if my client arrives early. I don't do it all the time. Sometimes I hide . I have an iPad which links to my booking software and my accountancy software so I don't need to be sat at the salon computer to work. I'd never get anything done otherwise. If I make a client wait I see them 5 mins early and apologise that I couldn't see them earlier and make up some excuse "I've got to get these figures to my accountant otherwise no one gets paid, I have to get the stock order in before 2 (or whatever) otherwise we'll run out of (insert high demand product) next week'. Clients always say how delighted they are to be seen early at all.

For meetings we aren't in full view of the street. If we have clients tap on the door and try and come in when we politely open up for them, we send them away. Sometimes clients want to wait in a treatment room whilst we finish our meeting. I just say, sorry, we still need to clean the room thoroughly and mop the floor which we can't do when you're in there as we use chemicals. That's my summer excuse. In winter I just say it's still freezing in the rooms.

If your clients want to press their faces up against the door and watch you like hungry Labradors just buy a nice blind and get into the habit of pulling the blind down. Switch the ansaphone on. And put a staff training notice on the door.

‘Hi, your appointment is at x time so you will need to come back then.’

When this happens at home I could be in my pjs for all they know hahaaa

One Christmas a woman showed up an hour an a half early for her tan and I was worried she’d get cold or not come back. But my girl with me was getting neglected during her treatment while I was pussyfooting around this woman.

So now I have no problem just saying I’m with someone come back at your time. Our priority is always who we are with. If it loses us a client, it saves us a lot of future hassle. Someone that does something will always do it. Crazy Late? Acts like it’s ok? Will always be late. Crosses a boundary? Doesn’t understand why you have them? Will always cross boundary. But losing the one that gets neglected because we are trying to help someone else would suck because they are probably an ideal client.

Show firmness in the first instance and you will get the right clients back.

I agree it is not just you that find early arrivals irritating, so annoying. Like we aren't actually doing something else instead!! I eat my sandwich in front of them when they arrive having stolen the quick 10 minute lunch break. Oh don't rush they say I'm happy to wait , you need your food etc, etc.
well , actually I do need my food , they have had theirs!!!
They aren't bothered and when you choke on the food as you are rushing to get it down you.There is nothing worse than eating in another room knowing they are waiting in your salon,you would think they would get the message and stay in their car until I show my face and let them in.
Unfortunately some of my clients are dropped off by their partners, really early and I have to let them wait in my hallway , until I am free. I don't like it but they are dropped off and there is nothing I can do.
Yes, like you "house beauty" I do pussyfoot around the new arrival and that's very stressing and wasting my time when I actually need to finish the client I am with.
I have on the odd occasion have them turn up a week early, convinced it's me that has messed up their slot. When actually it is their head that thinks it's that day and they haven't bothered to check their appointment card.
Oh deary me ! they can then blame you as they always assume its my fault, when they have written on their own kitchen calendar...but just the wrong week. Ha ha. Very irritating.
Such is life and all adds to the mix of very interesting personalities we have to adapt to.
Regards to all .

It's frustrating when they expect to be seen early too.

I used to miss my lunch break often due to this, then would be starving later. Now I hide, and it looks like I'm in treatment with clients. I don't answer the phone while I'm eating either. If I am doing admin/paperwork, I do the same thing. I get ready for the appointment, hide & start working, then come out again 10-15min prior to my appt time.

If they turn up early and see me, I almost never tell them what I am doing (i.e. paperwork, laundry, lunch, nothing) or why I am making them wait.
"Thanks for being early to your appointment. Have a seat, I won't be long."
"Thanks for being early. I'm almost ready for you. Would you like a drink/book while you wait?"

A few clients - because I know what they're like; I ignore the fact they've been waiting 25 minutes and just come out when I'm ready (still 5-10min early) and say "Hi ___! How are you? I'm all ready for you if you'd like to come on through..." If they comment on the wait time, I just say something like, "Thanks for being early!" "It's great to be able to start on time, it helps my day run smoothly - thank you!"

I often work alone, so have nobody else to greet my clients first. We have a sign for when they first arrive saying something like "we may be busy with clients at the moment. If you have an appointment, please take a seat and your therapist will be with you shortly".

Grr! We had a lady really determined to come in 30 mins early for her appointment when we had a note on the door and the curtains closed.

She rattled the door and phoned. "I know you're in there!" When we eventually let her in she came straight out stroppilly "I don't appreciate being made to wait". We let her in 15 mins early. I've now changed our notice to say "staff training"

I was so cross - I've brooded all week. If it happens again, I'll answer the door personally in my undies, wrapped in a towel with face mask slathered on my face! Hurumph.

Grr! We had a lady really determined to come in 30 mins early for her appointment when we had a note on the door and the curtains closed.

She rattled the door and phoned. "I know you're in there!" When we eventually let her in she came straight out stroppilly "I don't appreciate being made to wait". We let her in 15 mins early. I've now changed our notice to say "staff training"

I was so cross - I've brooded all week. If it happens again, I'll answer the door personally in my undies, wrapped in a towel with face mask slathered on my face! Hurumph.
How rude, totally unbelievable ! I dare you to do what you say, let us know what her face looks like then ! Good luck x

Hahaha that would be funny [emoji85]

I work from home and I had a lady literally messaged me whilst myself and my daughter were eating our dinner saying “ I am parked outside if you can see me now!” (She was 2hours 15 min early) I don’t mind a few minutes here and there but I was totally gobsmacked.

Latest posts

Back