Clients with colds, rant!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JemmaBeauty

Reaction score
So its that time of year again. Today every single one of my clients arrived with a cold. Some of them pretend they didn't have a cold and others told me all about their coughs and runny noses as soon as they walked in!

I actually state on my website that those who arrive with a cold will not be treated, however, it seems as though the majority of clients don't take any notice when making the booking. I do sometimes say something to them after the treatment and they usually seem a bit taken aback as if I'm being unreasonable.

As I mainly do massages and facials, it drives me insane when clients stop me during the treatment because they need a tissue, then they need a drink and then they wriggle about trying not to cough, ...or even worse they wipe their nose on their hand just before the hand part of the massage o_O .
I had one lady in for a facial and she'd suddenly open her eyes and bolt upright like the exorcist movie, because she needed to cough every 5 minutes. She was physically shaking whilst trying her best not to cough in my face :eek:
I'm also pregnant so I think it's getting to me even more than usual. Gets on my bloody nerves!

Rant over.

I’d rather clients arrive with a common cold than cancel at the last minute.

If it was something more serious then yes I’d expect them to be considerate and I always advise my clients if I’m feeling unwell and allow them to choose whether to attend their appointment or not.

I think with most common viruses you’re at risk of contracting them on a day to day basis through general contact and not necessarily just work

The other day we had a lady come in. She was fine and then started choking. It's sucky because I have to work while sick. Clients don't respect stylists with these things for some reason. I wish there was an easier way to communicate that we are a very physical job. We dont always get the luxury of sick days..... I guess I'm gonna be having a lot of vitamin C here. At least its the start of spring.

I think it's worse for a nail tech as we have to hold their hands and sit in very close face to face proximity. Luckily my clients don't mind if I get them to wear a face mask.
If they too sick then I ask them to reschedule and won't do facial client if she has a nasal congestion as the steamer and all that makes very diff to breathe .
Massage you not actually meant to do esp if they have had a fever as you actually spread the bacteria. They will feel worse after a massage in some cases.

Jemmabeauty your descriptions really made me smile!

I feel your pain, I'd actually rather they cancel than bring their germs. If I catch it, I not only feel lousy but I have to take time off work as I think it's inconsiderate to welcome a client in and then sit there sneezing and coughing all over her, esp as some are carers etc or look after vulnerable relatives so being ill for them is a big issue. If I'm ill i at least message clients and give them the option. If you're sitting 18" from someone with bugs for an hour or so there's a fair chance of catching it imho.

I do use that Vicks first defence straight after if clients come with colds, and chloraseptic throat spray and the combination does seem to ward it off.

Clients are the worst!
I'm tempted to start wearing full face respirator [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Latest posts

Back