Clients with colds

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scrubadub

Reaction score
So yesterday I had a client at work that came in with a stinking cold, I didn’t know if I was allowed to say no to doing the treatment so I did it. I washed my hands loads and that but low and behold I am now getting it [emoji35]

I am employed by a salon not self employed, would you have still treated them?

Yep, liberal use of hand santiser every time they blow their nose, sneeze, etc. - I think I've built up an immunity over the years, I rarely catch anything from them these days

As an employee the sensible thing to do (for the future) would be to seek the advice of your employer (who, after all, will be paying the sick pay).

Obvioulsy there is no way of proving this but I rather suspect that the client's first sneeze would have done for you and even if you had said no to the treatment (which, under such circumstances, you would have been quite entitled to do) it would have been too late, so yes I would still have treated them. You might as well be hung for a sheep as a goat (apparently).

My uncle once told me that the best thing for a cold was drink plenty of warm water and soak your feet in a bucket of whisky.

Last edited:
I still work with clients with colds, sniffles etc as a bit like Trinity Ive built up an immunity over the years.

I do make sure I take vitamins & a daily dollop of actimel (although Ive no idea if it helps) plus I have face masks, gloves & hand sanitiser at the ready :D

I have allergies & use these anyway so so far Ive not offended anyone xx

A person with a cold can start spreading it from a few days before their symptoms begin until the symptoms have finished.
Therefore you can be catching a virus from someone who doesn't know they've got it yet!

Continuous good hygiene is the key - which we all do every day as therapists.....:)

As an employee the sensible thing to do (for the future) would be to seek the advice of your employer (who, after all, will be paying the sick pay).

Obvioulsy there is no way of proving this but I rather suspect that the client's first sneeze would have done for you and even if you had said no to the treatment (which, under such circumstances, you would have been quite entitled to do) it would have been too late, so yes I would still have treated them. You might as well be hung for a sheep as a goat (apparently).

My uncle once told me that the best thing for a cold was drink plenty of warm water and soak your feet in a bucket of whisky.

I checked and we’re not allowed to say no to colds even if they are really bad, we only get statutory sick pay so have to be off 4 days to get paid it

A person with a cold can start spreading it from a few days before their symptoms begin until the symptoms have finished.
Therefore you can be catching a virus from someone who doesn't know they've got it yet!

Continuous good hygiene is the key - which we all do every day as therapists.....:)

Oh yeah I totally get that it’s because she was having facial waxing so I was in close proximity :/

I’ve been getting it all wrong all this time! Soaking my feet in warm water and drinking plenty of whisky

Everyone has colds and it is normally all at once as we all seem to catch them off each other, we can't really turn clients away over a cold.

I constantly get client s that come to me (or vice versa) and the first thing they’ll say is ‘I’ve got a stinking cold’ I just think oh cheers!
But in reality I just smile and offer sympathy and hope that my immune system is still working ok!
I must admit, I do find that I usually start getting ill this time of year.

Looking at it from the clients point of view, if everyone that had a common cold cancelled their appointment at short notice I’d be pretty annoyed.
Think this is something we can pick up anywhere

Latest posts

Back